• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
What's you guys opinion about the bottle cap system? Do you think that the effects will carry over to USUM? What about beyond that. I breed to get the best IV's I could with some pokemon, but if I get a 5 IV pokemon with a beneficial nature in wonder trade, sometimes I just want to use that pokemon without going through that hassle. I'M ONLY ONE GIRL! I got a Japanese 5IV Mimikyu only missing Def that I got to level 100. I just like the fact it's name will stay in Japanese font. Do you think these are permanent changes or no?

I hope the bottle cap system does return in USUM. As someone who likes to MM for Shinies, I'd rather have a caught in the wild Pokemon without many perfect IVs as my foreign parent. This way I can be sure that what I'm breeding isn't hacked. Naturally as a result though, my offspring will have poor IVs and the bottle cap system allows me to raise up a legitimate good shiny Pokemon. Sure it's a lot of work, but it's worth it when I have a battle ready shiny Pokemon that is not hacked. :)

4 more days still worlds

I honestly keep forgetting about Worlds since I believe entirely that we won't get anything.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
I hope the bottle cap system does return in USUM. As someone who likes to MM for Shinies, I'd rather have a caught in the wild Pokemon without many perfect IVs as my foreign parent. This way I can be sure that what I'm breeding isn't hacked. Naturally as a result though, my offspring will have poor IVs and the bottle cap system allows me to raise up a legitimate good shiny Pokemon. Sure it's a lot of work, but it's worth it when I have a battle ready shiny Pokemon that is not hacked. :)

I honestly keep forgetting about Worlds since I believe entirely that we won't get anything.

I would really appreciate the Bottle Cap/Hyper Training system if they allowed us to use it on Pokémon below Lv 100. Just what were they thinking, locking it only for Pokémon that reached that level.
And speaking of levels, I really, really hope we get Lucky Egg somewhat early in these games. Locking it in the post-game and with the Gen V Exp. system back, it's not even funny, at least for people like me who tend to use only one Pokémon for the majority of the main game.

It's certain we will get something at Worlds. I mean, recently we did get something each year.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Locking it in the post-game and with the Gen V Exp. system back, it's not even funny, at least for people like me who tend to use only one Pokémon for the majority of the main game.

I'm pretty sure the point is to discourage people from doing that

Unova Yorker

City Girl
I would really appreciate the Bottle Cap/Hyper Training system if they allowed us to use it on Pokémon below Lv 100. Just what were they thinking, locking it only for Pokémon that reached that level.

I actually like that you can only hyper train level 100 Pokemon. It makes it so that it's still difficult to get a Max IV Pokemon, and you're rewarded for your effort. Otherwise what's the point of IV's? Every Pokemon regardless of level will eventually be maxed anyway.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I actually like that you can only hyper train level 100 Pokemon. It makes it so that it's still difficult to get a Max IV Pokemon, and you're rewarded for your effort. Otherwise what's the point of IV's? Every Pokemon regardless of level will eventually be maxed anyway.

Totally agree with this. I appreciated the feeling of fulfillment that I got when I fully raised and bottle capped my shiny Mimikyu, Greninja, Alolan Ninetales, and Beartic.
Rare Kitchens (5 stars of course) from Festival Plaza really help the cause too and I hope all this returns in USUM as well.

Hoennking

we got new information every opening cermomy. i would be shocked if there wasnt news

Totally agree with this. I appreciated the feeling of fulfillment that I got when I fully raised and bottle capped my shiny Mimikyu, Greninja, Alolan Ninetales, and Beartic.
Rare Kitchens (5 stars of course) from Festival Plaza really help the cause too and I hope all this returns in USUM as well.

It makes sense that you can only realize the full potential of your Pokemon once you reach level 100. Also as you say it is satisfying knowing you've had to put the work in to make your Pokemon stronger

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
do you even need perfect IVs below Lv. 100?

I guess if you're playing Middle Cup or whatever competitively, maybe

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
It still can be the same protagonist and a VERY different story.-

I suppose it's always plausible, but from my perspective if Gamefreak is going to give Ultra Sun and Moon a totally different storyline compared to Sun and Moon, they may as well just design new playable characters any ways instead of just reusing the old ones.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I would at least like better options for grinding instead of doing the elite 4 60 times before level 100.

The Elite Four has always been my go to method for getting to level 100, so I don't really mind that. What needs to fixed though is the time between beating the game and getting your Pokémon strong enough to rematch the Elite Four. It was just so hard to get past that phase that I completely gave up playing before I even tried rematching the Elite Four.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
And speaking of levels, I really, really hope we get Lucky Egg somewhat early in these games. Locking it in the post-game and with the Gen V Exp. system back, it's not even funny, at least for people like me who tend to use only one Pokémon for the majority of the main game.

I actually disagree with you on this. I usually use around 20 pokémon in the main game which I rotate, I don't use a fixed team. And even with all the exp spread between all those different pokémon I can still keep up with barely any grinding, without the Lucky Egg. Of course getting more exp if your levels are lower really helps here, but it's not difficult to keep up with the level growth in the game.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
I actually disagree with you on this. I usually use around 20 pokémon in the main game which I rotate, I don't use a fixed team. And even with all the exp spread between all those different pokémon I can still keep up with barely any grinding, without the Lucky Egg. Of course getting more exp if your levels are lower really helps here, but it's not difficult to keep up with the level growth in the game.

Dude, do you know how TIRESOME is to grind your main Pokémon and your whole Pokémon team in S/M? B/W and B2/W2 at least gave us the Lucky Egg while on the main story, so things were a bit better there. In S/M? Gross. I really, really enjoy being overlevel in my games using only one Pokémon, it's what makes them fun for me, but with Gen V's system back and no Lucky Egg until the post-game, it takes away all the fun. And there are no f***ing Audinos to help with the grind too.

The only plus of this system is it helps weak Pokémon get stronger faster, but when you want to overlevel them, grinding becomes a chore. Especially if Trainers have only one Pokémon.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I guess that's a matter of preference then. The game's really boring to me when I'm overlevelled and I can just trounce over everything. I prefer being a bit underlevelled and rotating my teams around, getting a bit more challenge and variety in the process. When I played through SM main game I was usually around 3-4 levels lower than the pokémon the trainers had on the routes and still didn't have much trouble defeating them. I do agree the trainers should have larger teams though. Even most challengers for the Champion title only have five pokémon.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
The Elite Four has always been my go to method for getting to level 100, so I don't really mind that. What needs to fixed though is the time between beating the game and getting your Pokémon strong enough to rematch the Elite Four. It was just so hard to get past that phase that I completely gave up playing before I even tried rematching the Elite Four.

they just need to give the games actual post-games worth playing

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist

they could also put a difficulty setting on the battle tree, even if an easy version didn't give you much for prizes. I did enjoy it being very difficult and having to challenge myself, but sometimes I just wanted to have fun double battling random battle tree people, not online people. I like the non-single battling which I think they need way more of in the new games.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Dude, do you know how TIRESOME is to grind your main Pokémon and your whole Pokémon team in S/M? B/W and B2/W2 at least gave us the Lucky Egg while on the main story, so things were a bit better there. In S/M? Gross. I really, really enjoy being overlevel in my games using only one Pokémon, it's what makes them fun for me, but with Gen V's system back and no Lucky Egg until the post-game, it takes away all the fun. And there are no f***ing Audinos to help with the grind too.

The only plus of this system is it helps weak Pokémon get stronger faster, but when you want to overlevel them, grinding becomes a chore. Especially if Trainers have only one Pokémon.

That's great that you have your own way to play that you have fun, but you've got to admit that it's not the way Game Freak intended you to play. It's in their best interest to limit your ability to not over-level yourself, while also not making it too hard to level up lower level Pokémon easier. That's likely the logic behind the scaled experience system.

I can agree to an extant, but honestly, I'd take something along the lines of the Delta Episode or Ultra Beast story over the more "traditional" post-game aspects any day. So I'm not that upset in those respects. The one thing I would like is a new area to explore, especially if it works in conjunction with the post-game story, so you aren't just re-visiting old areas. Sinnoh definitely handled that best. I loved having a new mini region to explore once the game ended. Combine that with a story on the level of the Delta Episode, and it would be perfect.

Unova Yorker

City Girl
Things like Battle Frontier are kind of obsolete anyway no? I always assumed they stopped with that kind of post game because we have unlimited amount of people to play with online now, as well as regular competitions.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
That's great that you have your own way to play that you have fun, but you've got to admit that it's not the way Game Freak intended you to play. It's in their best interest to limit your ability to not over-level yourself, while also not making it too hard to level up lower level Pokémon easier. That's likely the logic behind the scaled experience system.

I can agree to an extant, but honestly, I'd take something along the lines of the Delta Episode or Ultra Beast story over the more "traditional" post-game aspects any day. So I'm not that upset in those respects. The one thing I would like is a new area to explore, especially if it works in conjunction with the post-game story, so you aren't just re-visiting old areas. Sinnoh definitely handled that best. I loved having a new mini region to explore once the game ended. Combine that with a story on the level of the Delta Episode, and it would be perfect.

I know it's not the intended way to play Pokémon, but it's my way to play like that, and it's a major minus for me if not be able to (at least BW/BW2 had us Lucky Egg during the main story and most trainers had two or more Pokémon, meaning more Exp. points) Hell, I want to start playing Moon and I'm giving it second thoughts because of this. Either they get back to the old system (and give us Exp Share/Lucky Egg in the post-game) or make sure the Lucky Egg is available during the main story. Period.

Sun/Moon had the whole Eastern Poni Island to explore in the post-game. Not much, but it's something. I really miss post-game areas like the Battle Zone in DPPt.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Things like Battle Frontier are kind of obsolete anyway no? I always assumed they stopped with that kind of post game because we have unlimited amount of people to play with online now, as well as regular competitions.

What made the Battle Frontier in Emerald interesting for me is the differences in the battle rules between the different facilities. The Tower was basically just battles, reincarnated in SM as the Battle Tree. And you had the Dome for 2v2 with team preview, which was later transferred to competitive. The Arena for quick battles with judging, based on damage. The Palace for a bit of randomness and having natures determine the battle style. And the Pyramid was pretty much survival mode. I wasn't too fond of the Pike or the Factory, but overall there was a lot to do there, and you needed to adapt your teams to the facilities.

The problem with the Battle Spot is that although it works well, it's limited in the options it has. It doesn't have triple or rotation battles, it doesn't offer 6v6 or 4v4 singles as options, nor does it offer 6v6 doubles. Those formats require different team layouts compared to 3v3 singles and 4v4 doubles. And personally, I'd also like an option for allowing legendaries like Solgaleo and Kyogre. They're now basically useless to train competitively. The link battles just don't work well enough, most people visiting Plaza don't have a Battle Team ready to use, and even if they accept a challenge they occasionally just use their party with stuff like Charmander or Rowlet in it. And having to go to third-party websites to arrange link battles is just so much less convenient than hopping into the Battle Spot, it's such a hassle to go fiddling around with friend codes and time zones and everything.