• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
What made the Battle Frontier in Emerald interesting for me is the differences in the battle rules between the different facilities. The Tower was basically just battles, reincarnated in SM as the Battle Tree. And you had the Dome for 2v2 with team preview, which was later transferred to competitive. The Arena for quick battles with judging, based on damage. The Palace for a bit of randomness and having natures determine the battle style. And the Pyramid was pretty much survival mode. I wasn't too fond of the Pike or the Factory, but overall there was a lot to do there, and you needed to adapt your teams to the facilities.

The problem with the Battle Spot is that although it works well, it's limited in the options it has. It doesn't have triple or rotation battles, it doesn't offer 6v6 or 4v4 singles as options, nor does it offer 6v6 doubles. Those formats require different team layouts compared to 3v3 singles and 4v4 doubles. And personally, I'd also like an option for allowing legendaries like Solgaleo and Kyogre. They're now basically useless to train competitively. The link battles just don't work well enough, most people visiting Plaza don't have a Battle Team ready to use, and even if they accept a challenge they occasionally just use their party with stuff like Charmander or Rowlet in it. And having to go to third-party websites to arrange link battles is just so much less convenient than hopping into the Battle Spot, it's such a hassle to go fiddling around with friend codes and time zones and everything.

Yeah, the main thing the Battle Frontier had that's currently lacking is the different styles of battling, the current facilities and the online tournaments are just regular battles. I miss the interesting gimmicks that the Battle Frontier facilities offered.

Also yeah, a post game mini region would also tremendously help the content. More areas means more Pokemon, more trainers, and more content in general.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
they could also put a difficulty setting on the battle tree, even if an easy version didn't give you much for prizes. I did enjoy it being very difficult and having to challenge myself, but sometimes I just wanted to have fun double battling random battle tree people, not online people.

I found the Battle Tree to be tough, so I wouldn't mind if it gets toned down in Ultra Sun and Moon or just removed completely. Frankly I think Gamefreak should focus more on non-battling features in these games since they already went ahead and ditched Gyms in Gen 7, so I'm now wondering if the E4 may as well be the next thing to go.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Things like Battle Frontier are kind of obsolete anyway no? I always assumed they stopped with that kind of post game because we have unlimited amount of people to play with online now, as well as regular competitions.

they still include the basic facility in each game, so I doubt that's the justification

Duney

If a player has Pokémon Moon only, which would be the best Ultra version to purchase? Is it known yet which legendaries will be in which title?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
If a player has Pokémon Moon only, which would be the best Ultra version to purchase? Is it known yet which legendaries will be in which title?

Ultra Sun.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I'm hoping it will be like BW2 where you will still want the same color if you want the opposite legendary.

I have both Sun and Moon, so it doesn't really matter either way for me, but I won't be getting both versions for myself this time and since I prefer playing Sun (because daylight in game = daylight IRL), I hope Ultra Sun has Lunala instead of Solgaleo.

Unova Yorker

City Girl

I was literally just going to ask this here!! (Since there's no 'general discussion thread')
I understand the dilemma. Since I got Moon, in theory I should get Ultra Sun so I can get both legends. BUT my OCD would bother me forever if I had Moon and NOT Ultra Moon. Then again, do I really need 3/4 Lunalas? Basically, we need more info before we can decide. They might have some sort of link feature or something between the old and new games. Who knows, it's not unheard of. I hate knowing nothing for so long, the times been going so slow ever since the announcement.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
This image makes it pretty clear that the Legendaries are not swapped like Black and White 2:
pokemon-ultra-sun-and-moon-ds1-670x376-constrain.jpg

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
This image makes it pretty clear that the Legendaries are not swapped like Black and White 2:
pokemon-ultra-sun-and-moon-ds1-670x376-constrain.jpg

The logos alone make it pretty clear that the sun pokemon and the moon pokemon are sticking with their respective titles. But anything is possible.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Unless something changes, I'd say get the opposite version you got before. With B2W2, the benefits to getting the same version's sequel was carrying some of the plot elements over and getting the other legendary, with USUM we're not sure whether the story is being advanced or not and we're keeping the same legendary to their particular version, so both of those perks aren't present. Plus, other version exclusives could be retained as well, so if you want to catch them all without WiFi or trading with other players you can get access to all of the Pokémon through both games. So there's more benefits to switching it up here then there were with B2W2, at least at this point in time.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
2 days until pokemon worlds opening cermony. wonder if were gonna get info

I would be very surprised if nothing was revealed. For the past couple of years, Worlds has consistently revealed Pokémon or new forms for upcoming games - like Crabrawler last year, for example.

Last edited:

shadowF

2 days until pokemon worlds opening cermony. wonder if were gonna get info

My big fear is it will just be a recap of Dusk form Lycanroc. Perhaps maybe no news at all as well.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Didn't they tease some kind of new news for Worlds last year in advance of the actual event? Maybe not, but if they are planning to show something they're totally mum about it.

Akashin

Didn't they tease some kind of new news for Worlds last year in advance of the actual event? Maybe not, but if they are planning to show something they're totally mum about it.

They didn't last year, and they didn't in 2014 ahead of the reveal of Mega Slowbro, either. Keeping quiet about it up until they make the reveal (if any, in this case) isn't anything new.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I'm kinda pessimistic about getting news from Worlds' ceremony regarding USUM. I think that news will come out from September and onwards about the games.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
My big fear is it will just be a recap of Dusk form Lycanroc. Perhaps maybe no news at all as well.

Considering it was revealed in the anime/Pokenchi and then covered by Corocoro, I highly doubt we'll see anything more of it until release other than a 'Get a special Rockruff that will evolve into Dusk form Lycanroc on *insert date-date*!' at the end of new trailers.