• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Take a good look, they're using Z-moves we already know.

Ok, it's true, those are the normal Z moves. I think more alola pokemon will recieve exclusive Z-moves though. At this time it's almost impossible that they won't give lycanroc one. mimikyu is another pokemon i think is guaranteed to have one too.

Creyk

Ok, it's true, those are the normal Z moves. I think more alola pokemon will recieve exclusive Z-moves though. At this time it's almost impossible that they won't give lycanroc one. mimikyu is another pokemon i think is guaranteed to have one too.

+ togodemaru
That will get one too for sure it was shown in that early trailer footage

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
There's one big thing I'm really hopeful for in these games: the option to visit the ultra beasts in their home turf. We briefly visited a small portion to fight lusamine, but I hope that giant portal on the map is a hint that ultra space may be a mini-region we hope for.

I did like the brief glimpse of Ultra Space that we got in Sun and Moon, so I'm hoping that Ultra Space will play a bigger role in US/UM also. In fact a few weeks back I was hoping that we'd get new Ultra Beasts in these games, tho I'm not as optimistic regarding that anymore.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
Looking at the new map it doesn't seem to have any new islands to visit. They already based the main islands off of the four biggest islands in Hawaii, so I can't see what they would do with another island if they added it, maybe a battle frontier or something similar? Poni Island already has the battle tree. Either way i'm not going to get my hopes up for new islands. Though unlikely, they could be teasing us with that cloud in the bottom left corner.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Looking at the new map it doesn't seem to have any new islands to visit. They already based the main islands off of the four biggest islands in Hawaii, so I can't see what they would do with another island if they added it, maybe a battle frontier or something similar? Poni Island already has the battle tree. Either way i'm not going to get my hopes up for new islands. Though unlikely, they could be teasing us with that cloud in the bottom left corner.

There's a part of an island visible through the clouds on the bottom left. It'd be awful if it was just there to tease us, like the clouds that were present over the BF island on the ORAS map reveal.

It'd be nice if they added a brand new land mass to explore in this one, rather than just giving some changes to the four islands we already know of. Southern west Unova, and the Water City were the best parts of BW 2 cause they showcased areas of Unova that weren't around previously.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
There's a part of an island visible through the clouds on the bottom left. It'd be awful if it was just there to tease us, like the clouds that were present over the BF island on the ORAS map reveal.

It'd be nice if they added a brand new land mass to explore in this one, rather than just giving some changes to the four islands we already know of. Southern west Unova, and the Water City were the best parts of BW 2 cause they showcased areas of Unova that weren't around previously.

I wasn't sure if that was part of an island or just part of the cloud. It kind of looks like a volcano peak in the top right corner of that cloud.

Also, if it is a new island, it could possibly be the starting island. I wonder if they'll do like in BW2 where the staring area in the old game is the post game area in the new game. I think it would be a little boring if they had the exact same travel pattern as the previous game. The sudden jump from Mistralton city in BW2 to Lentimas town made that game a lot more interesting than it otherwise would have been if they followed the standard path.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I wasn't sure if that was part of an island or just part of the cloud. It kind of looks like a volcano peak in the top right corner of that cloud.

Also, if it is a new island, it could possibly be the starting island. I wonder if they'll do like in BW2 where the staring area in the old game is the post game area in the new game. I think it would be a little boring if they had the exact same travel pattern as the previous game. The sudden jump from Mistralton city in BW2 to Lentimas town made that game a lot more interesting than it otherwise would have been if they followed the standard path.

Yeah, I liked that about BW2. Sadly though, they don't seem to be doing that here. The lack of changes to this map implies that it's probably just the same game all over again. And considering that they seem to be showing the same starting house and Rt. 1 in the first trailer, we're probably starting in Melemele again. The fifth island, if it exists (which I'm not sure of either, they haven't really been making major additions to recent regions), will probably be a post game island. Maybe if they do have a fifth post game island they can open up some of the areas on Poni Island that were previously post game to the main game, but beyond that, I don't expect any significant changes to the progression, and definitely nothing close to what BW2 did.

future.newyorker

We have to remember that it looks like you get your starter in a new location this time around. It is definitely not Iki Town and it is definitely not at the festival site.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Huh, I just noticed something. On the new map, there's no barrier in the water off the Southwest coast of Poni, despite a barrier being there in SuMo. I'm guessing it's just an oversight, but still, it's interesting, as that leaves nothing between the player and the open sea.

Source: https://archive-media-0.nyafuu.org/vp/image/1503/06/1503064121060.gif

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Huh, I just noticed something. On the new map, there's no barrier in the water off the Southwest coast of Poni, despite a barrier being there in SuMo. I'm guessing it's just an oversight, but still, it's interesting, as that leaves nothing between the player and the open sea.

Source: https://archive-media-0.nyafuu.org/vp/image/1503/06/1503064121060.gif

I doubt it's an oversight. I think it's purposefully removed.
Anyway, few pages ago, I've already listed the changes on the new map.

- The Hau'oli Shopping District exterior has been changed
- Empty lot on Hau'oli City now has Alola Photo Club
- There's a new beach area on Route 2
- Kala'e Bay has more land

- New beach area next to Tide Song Hotel
- New building on previously empty lot next to Pokemon Center in Heahea City
- New building on previously empty lot next to Pokemon Center in Royal Avenue
- Empty lot on Konikoni City now has Alola Photo Club
- Volcanic steam on Wela Volcano Park and Route 7 is gone

- New building on previously empty lot in Malie City
- Small buildings added on Secluded Shore
- Rain clouds over Po Town and Route 17 are gone
- There's a side area with a huge crater(?) on Mount Lanakila by the elevator

- Rock Shelf on Poni Wilds beach is gone
- Rock Shelf has been added to Poni Breaker Coast
- Sinister clouds over Poni Island

While technically not new in the game, several things on the map are now present:
- The entrance of the Pokemon League is now present in the artwork
- The Dimensional Research Lab finally reflects it's actual in-game exterior along with the satellite dish
- The arch near the Konikoni lighthouse is now present in the artwork as well

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I doubt the removal of the rock wall means much. If we could actually surf to Exeggutor Island like people are implying, we would still see rock walls, just over the entire sea leading to the island. The rock walls exist for a reason, even since RBY they've used rock walls to indicate to the player what parts of the sea can be explored and what parts cannot. If there's no rock walls at all it means we can't Surf there at all. Why they would do this I have no idea, but don't get your hopes up for that either.

And really, IDK why you would want that. All that does for you is instead of fading to black and going to Exeggutor Island instantly from the boat, you would just be annoyed by Tentacools getting there from Poni Wilds. I mean, I want more content too but that would just be padding.

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Anyway, few pages ago, I've already listed the changes on the new map.

- The Hau'oli Shopping District exterior has been changed
- Empty lot on Hau'oli City now has Alola Photo Club
- There's a new beach area on Route 2
- Kala'e Bay has more land

- New beach area next to Tide Song Hotel
- New building on previously empty lot next to Pokemon Center in Heahea City
- New building on previously empty lot next to Pokemon Center in Royal Avenue
- Empty lot on Konikoni City now has Alola Photo Club
- Volcanic steam on Wela Volcano Park and Route 7 is gone

- New building on previously empty lot in Malie City
- Small buildings added on Secluded Shore
- Rain clouds over Po Town and Route 17 are gone
- There's a side area with a huge crater(?) on Mount Lanakila by the elevator

- Rock Shelf on Poni Wilds beach is gone
- Rock Shelf has been added to Poni Breaker Coast
- Sinister clouds over Poni Island

While technically not new in the game, several things on the map are now present:
- The entrance of the Pokemon League is now present in the artwork
- The Dimensional Research Lab finally reflects it's actual in-game exterior along with the satellite dish
- The arch near the Konikoni lighthouse is now present in the artwork as well

Ah, sorry, I didn't see that post. Also, you forgot about most of the water in Malie Gardens being drained, which is something I personally find quite intriguing.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Ah, sorry, I didn't see that post. Also, you forgot about most of the water in Malie Gardens being drained, which is something I personally find quite intriguing.

Actually, none of the waters in the artworks were "drained".
The sunset setting given to the map washed out the colors of the water giving the impression of water being drained on Brooklet Hill, Malie Garden, Lake of the Sunne/Moone, and Poni Breaker Coast.

The water is still there. The colors were just grey.

Akashin

Not to mention that all the water in that area is the 'lighter' color of water that tends to mean it's accessible (though it's hard to say that for sure given the discoloration of most of the water on the map). That, like you pointed out, they've also put up new stone blockades around the Poni Breaker Coast that weren't there before seems to suggest you're free to surf along that side of the island for whatever reason, though.

Last edited:

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
4chan noticed that too.
/vp/ said:
Daily reminder this is Kartana's Ultra Space

The litlle orange dot is obviously Kartana, its glowing and moving when you watch the trailer. Kartana is grass Pokemon, this is a grass area with leaves looking like Kartana. Not to mention its a very small Pokemon so GF chose it to show in the trailer because its hard to spot.

Such a chinese forrest area is nowhere to be found in SM or on the USUM map

These people are probably just fallers. Remember how for a while Lusamine and Guzma lived in Nihilego's world? Its possible.

Nihilego is rock so its "space" was a cave, Kartana is grass so its "space" is a forrest

The layout looks also similar to Nihilego's cave: a short corridor with a wider area at the end

Given that we have version exclusive beasts i'd say each game will have 5 Ultra space "corridors"

1503214215200.jpg

Last edited: