• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Great info we got so far.

I'm leaning towards US but I want to know if the time settings are going reversed for these both games or stay the same.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Technically yes, but the fact that the question exists in the first place means there is good evidence to doubt it has sentience. Not conclusive evidence, but enough to make it a real possibility.
I was thinking it was due to its erratic nature.

be fair, if there were a Pokémon that is stated to know nothing but rage and hatred 100% of the time, the friendship checker would still say that same thing. A game mechanic like that really can't be taken as an indication of anything.
I don't think there is a Pokemon really like that, and even Mewtwo could learn to love if treated well enough. I only brought that point up because the games push the "treat your Pokemon with love" theme quite a bit.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I was thinking it was due to its erratic nature.

I think it's supposed to be a reference to how jellyfish don't seem to have sentience in real-life, but as far as in-game goes, I guess I don't really know what the reason is.

I don't think there is a Pokemon really like that, and even Mewtwo could learn to love if treated well enough. I only brought that point up because the games push the "treat your Pokemon with love" theme quite a bit.

I was speaking more in the hypothetical to make a point. Yeah, it's the theme so something like I said would never actually happen, but the scenario does show the flaw with using the friendship checker as an assessment of what a Pokémon would actual feel.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
With the way they're giving Rotomdex a more prominent role in US/UM, I'm kind of hoping they'll find a way to reference Rotom's obsession with Alolan Detective Laki from the anime like either a name drop or having Rotom wear its wig.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Not even the leaks aren't as exciting as they use to be...

CoroCoro isn't the primary source of info anymore. That's the purpose of the trailers uploaded to Youtube. That much has been incredibly clear since SM.

You'll probably get something more when we get the trailer at the end of the week.

CoroCoro isn't the primary source of info anymore. That's the purpose of the trailers uploaded to Youtube. That much has been incredibly clear since SM.

You'll probably get something more when we get the trailer at the end of the week.

Wait, is there another trailer at the end of the week or am I reading that wrong?

Either way, the news is pretty neat. I like that Solgaleo, Lunala and the Necrozma forms all have two exclusive Z-moves now - I wonder how we'll get the crystal? And the Rotomdex thing is gonna be really cool, it was basically useless in SM so having a new feature in USUM involving it is brilliant. This game is gonna be the biggest yet.

R_N

The rotom z move thing is neat but I still can't imagine ever bothering with z moves in game enough to use it.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Wait, is there another trailer at the end of the week or am I reading that wrong?

Yes, the trailer that will cover this month's CoroCoro.

It's either this week or sometime later, but we're getting one.

It’s nice that they made the Rotom Dex more useful but I highly doubt they’ll allow you to use two Z-moves in competitive play.

It would really break the balance of VGC when you consider the possible combinations.

They wouldn't because it's a Rotomdex bonus. And I'd assume that means that it can't be used in VGC because a Rotom in a Pokedex is OP as it is (if we are talking about in-universe lore). It's kinda like how the friendship bonuses with your battling Pokemon work where you can get critical hits and get out of status conditions more quickly if you raise your friendship with them, but that feature is banned in VGC

R_N

Also forget combinations, imagine just spamming like....kommo-o z move.
Gamefreak sense of balance is a bit flawed sure, but even they aren't this ridiculous.

Also if it's rotom dex specific I can't imagine it carrying forward.

Also forget combinations, imagine just spamming like....kommo-o z move.
Gamefreak sense of balance is a bit flawed sure, but even they aren't this ridiculous.

Also if it's rotom dex specific I can't imagine it carrying forward.

I fell like they'll only let it be activated twice instead of once and no more, and it won't be allowed in VGC. It'll make certain battles easier for sure, but the player will also need to be aware of when to use their glorious second Z-move.

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
I feel like this whole "multiple Z-moves" thing destroys what made Z-moves so special in SM.

I can understand where this comes from (probably trying to make it more powerful, like Mega Evolutions), but using more than one Z-move to take out an opponent in two turns (I'm thinking of a bulky Kahuna/E4/Totem like Wishiwashi) is going to feel cheap and easy. I, for one, am going to keep deploying only one per battle.

Although I bet they're going to limit it so that you can only use one Z-move per Pokemon or something to prevent the problem I was discussing above.

DarkerShining

Wow, we've been getting a lot of new info lately.

The latest bit of news has me really curious about what new functions the Rotomdex will get. Based on the mention of a feature that can do things such as boost experience, will one of those new features be something similar to the O-Powers from Gen VI? I kind of missed those features, so I'd like that if that is what it is. Not sure how the whole "using Z-power more than once per battle" would work, but I guess there must be something keeping such a feature from being too overpowered.

On other things we've learned recently, it looks like they're really taking things to a whole new level with the Ultra Beast thing, with these new areas to explore. The new Ultra Beasts look interesting too. The newest one, UB Adhesive, is pretty cute. I like its design. Necrozma's expanded role really seems to have quite the effect on the story.

I'm also curious about how the trials have changed. Nice to see that Mina finally got her own trial. Also, I wonder what Acerola was freaking out about in one shot of that trailer? I guess we'll find out eventually.

So, yeah. I've been getting pretty excited about these new games, and what they might have to offer. Looking forward to learning even more!

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'm going to wait until there's more specific information before making any judgements on multiple Z-Moves. With no restrictions whatsoever it'd probably be overpowered. It wouldn't surprise me if it's only a small chance of recharging the Z-Move each turn.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Photon Gayser seems to be the Freeze Shock/Ice Burn of Necrozma forms. I suspect there is a Lunala variant as well.

Edit: Fixed the post. But I actually can see Solgaleo/Lunala getting another signature as well.

Last edited:

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
Dusk Mane Necrozma has known a new move that is called Photon Gayser. It might be the physical version of Prismatic Laser.

If that's the case:
Dusk Mane Necrozma: Photon Gayser and Sunsteel Strike
Dawn Wings Nercozma: Prismatic Laser and Moongeist Beam