• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Dr. Who Thread

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
logo_banner_new.jpg

Figured that enough people on this site watch this show to keep the discussion going...for a while at least XD

So...how to describe Dr. Who to someone who hasn't seen it....wwell, this is what Wikipidea says on the subject:
Doctor Who is a British science-fiction television programme produced by the BBC. The programme depicts the adventures of the Doctor, a Time Lord—a time-travelling humanoid alien. He explores the universe in his TARDIS, a sentient time-travelling space ship. Its exterior appears as a blue British police box, which was a common sight in Britain in 1963 when the series first aired. Along with a succession of companions, the Doctor faces a variety of foes while working to save civilisations, help ordinary people, and right wrongs.

So which Doctor do you guys like the most? Which of the Doctors enemies do you think was the coolest? Which of the Doctors assistants do you like the most?

I personally watched the original Dr. Who and was reluctant to watch some of the newer episodes, but I just started....and I may be hooked. So far I just saw the episode where the Dr. and rose encountered the Dalek.

Discuss.

flyer1228

Novice Shiny Hunter
I have to say, I like the 10th doctor the most. If i'm correct that's David Tennant? I've watched from where most of the newer Doctor Who fans start, with Rose. I stopped at season 7 because I didn't really like the most recent doctor or the new one at that. I might resume, once episodes accumulate so I can watch them all in one go though. I'm actually a really big scardey cat. I think the Dalleks are creepy along with the metal men. I have to say the scariest episode was by far Silence in the Library and the episode on the Ice planet. As for assistants, I really like Rose. I thought Martha was useless and Donna had too much sass. Nevertheless, Donna didn't deserve what she got in the end, I think she should have gotten a better ending.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
Well, I started with series 5, then went back to series 1 cause I ended up getting hooked. I've seen every episode of the reboot, but haven't really touched the original for 2 reasons:
1. Watching them all would cost me so much time that I don't have atm.
2. I'm really easily put off by the low quality of older material. Same goes for music. I can't help it. :(

I have however read up on it. Out of all the 3 previous Doctors, Matt Smith was hands down my favorite, with Tennant coming in second. Capaldi looks really promising so I'm pumped for the next series. My favorite companions are Donna and Amy, but if there's one character I like the most it's River Song.

I'd say series 6 was my favorite so far. (controversial opinion, I know, but I love when writers are not afraid to mix things up a little) Also the latest Christmas special was the best regeneration episode so far imo.

Trutown

Doctor
logo_banner_new.jpg

Figured that enough people on this site watch this show to keep the discussion going...for a while at least XD

So...how to describe Dr. Who to someone who hasn't seen it....wwell, this is what Wikipidea says on the subject:

So which Doctor do you guys like the most? Which of the Doctors enemies do you think was the coolest? Which of the Doctors assistants do you like the most?

I personally watched the original Dr. Who and was reluctant to watch some of the newer episodes, but I just started....and I may be hooked. So far I just saw the episode where the Dr. and rose encountered the Dalek.

Discuss.

Try to avoid these episodes:
Boom Town
Tooth and Claw
The Impossible Planet
The Satan Pit
Love and Monsters
Doomsday
(In fact, how about we just include any episode with Rose)
Voyage of the Damned
The Stolen Earth
Journey's End
The Next Doctor
Planet of the Dead
The End of Time (I know that it is Tennant's last episode, but it is the absolute worst episode that Davies ever wrote)
The Idiot's Lantern
Fear Her
Daleks in Manhattan
Evolution of the Daleks
The Doctor's Daughter
The Beast Below
Victory of the Daleks
The Lodger
The Curse of the Black Spot
Closing Time
Journey to the Center of the TARDIS
The Crimson Horror

Wow, there are a lot of Dalek stories here. New Who really ruined the Daleks.

shadowneko003

I would say 10 is my Doctor. And my favorite companion is Rose (hate me if you will, we all have our own opinion!)

I found s5 to be Matt's best series. S6 and S7 had their good parts, but overall it didn't cut it for me. I found both finales lack luster and I just couldn't turn off my brain to enjoy it (if I had popcorn, I would have started throwing it at my TV 20 minutes in). I think Moffat just made jokes of Daleks, Great Intelligence, Weeping Angels, etc a joke. And that no one really dies in NuWho (well, the major characters any way). Amy and Rory didn't "die," they lived out the rest of their lives, in the past, but happily. So their departures wasn't really sad for me. All good things must end eventually.

I started watching Classic Who. It's gonna take me a while and considering only a few arcs are released on the net (if we excluding the other medium). The black and white doesn't throw me off. It's part of the charm.

Has anyone seen An Adventure in Time and Space? I though it was very nicely done.

master3019

Me gusta Flygon
yay! Fellow whovians! Hello All!

My favorite doctor is the 9th. He was only featured for one season, which made me sad. :( But David Tennant did an okay job as a replacement. And then Matt Smith comes along and ruins it. Ironically, Amy is my favorite travelling companion.

I feel like after Matt Smith came along the show took on a much more serious tone than it had previously, completely ignoring the light-heartedness and satire present in the first few seasons. (Who can forget the farting Slitheen) I gave up after the middle of season 7. Matt Smith is a great guy, but the show started to suck.

Tropios

yay! Fellow whovians! Hello All!

My favorite doctor is the 9th. He was only featured for one season, which made me sad. :( But David Tennant did an okay job as a replacement. And then Matt Smith comes along and ruins it. Ironically, Amy is my favorite travelling companion.

I feel like after Matt Smith came along the show took on a much more serious tone than it had previously, completely ignoring the light-heartedness and satire present in the first few seasons. (Who can forget the farting Slitheen) I gave up after the middle of season 7. Matt Smith is a great guy, but the show started to suck.
Usually when I hear people complaining about Matt, it's because he's too childish as opposed to too serious. :p Personally, I think things like the farting Slitheen were rather embarrassing, but oh well, to each his own!

When Moffat and Smith took over it seems like the show lost plenty of old fans. I guess this is mainly cause Moffat isn't exactly afraid to do, well, anything? On the other hand, Doctor Who is as popular as ever, so they definitely reeled in a lot of new fans too. Some people can be so butthurt about it though. :/

master3019

Me gusta Flygon
Usually when I hear people complaining about Matt, it's because he's too childish as opposed to too serious. :p Personally, I think things like the farting Slitheen were rather embarrassing, but oh well, to each his own!

When Moffat and Smith took over it seems like the show lost plenty of old fans. I guess this is mainly cause Moffat isn't exactly afraid to do, well, anything? On the other hand, Doctor Who is as popular as ever, so they definitely reeled in a lot of new fans too. Some people can be so butthurt about it though. :/

I myself found the Slitheen arc to be rather dumb. But I used that as an example to refer back when Doctor Who had a mildly satirical nature, and was made rather cheesily. Now the series itself is way too serious.

indigohex

I have seen most episodes of the reboot, as well as all but one episode of the first three seasons of the spin-off series Torchwood (the episode I haven't seen is when Gwen Cooper married Rhys, but that is a different story). I am not sure if I will watch Series 8 with Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman (she plays Clara Oswald), but there is a possibility that I won't if I find work as an English teacher in Korea. But my favourite doctor was obviously David Tennant, while Christopher Eccleston was my least favourite doctor (nothing against him as he was very good, but I mostly seen the reboot as well as a few episodes featuring Sylvester McCoy on the now defunct SF on Foxtel, which has since been replaced by SyFy).

I think the new doctor will be a very interesting one though.

Tropios

I myself found the Slitheen arc to be rather dumb. But I used that as an example to refer back when Doctor Who had a mildly satirical nature, and was made rather cheesily. Now the series itself is way too serious.

Well I guess if you were around since the beginning of the reboot, the change of the tone the show has taken might put you off. :/ I enjoy both though.

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
I am a massive fan of Doctor Who, and have been since I was introduced to the show after experiencing the Peter Cushing Dalek films. I adore both the new series (I have seen all of it) and the classic series (I have seen most of it, minus the missing 1960 episodes...). They are the same show in my mind, just different eras. Change is the reason why this show has just celebrated its 50th, after all.

My Doctor is Matt Smith. His incarnation has everything I love about the character, from the mad and eccentric alien to the dark warrior. I was lucky enough to meet him at the ExCeL 50th Celebration in London, and he is such a wonderful guy. I know Moffat's era has been very divisive in some corners of fandom, but I think he has been a blessing to the show. Series Five, Matt's first, is my favorite series of all time. His not a perfect writer or head of the show, but it will be a shame when Moffat decides to leave.

Here's to another 50 years, and Peter Capaldi as the Doctor! :)

pokemasterz

King of The Pirates
Great show, fantastic show, my favorite show. Tennant is definitely my favorite doctor. What is there to hate?:D

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Boom Town
Tooth and Claw
The Impossible Planet
The Satan Pit
Love and Monsters
Doomsday
Voyage of the Damned
The Stolen Earth
Journey's End
The Next Doctor
Planet of the Dead
The End of Time (I know that it is Tennant's last episode, but it is the absolute worst episode that Davies ever wrote)
The Idiot's Lantern
Fear Her
Daleks in Manhattan
Evolution of the Daleks
The Doctor's Daughter
The Beast Below
Victory of the Daleks
The Lodger
Closing Time
The Crimson Horror

Really? Some of them were pretty nice episodes, why were they bad for you? (Just curious, always wish people would say why, it makes it more interesting and sometimes make you think).

As for me. Only started watching the Doctor Who series last year, first started watching the tenth doctor, and thought he was awesome. So went back and watched the 9th Doctor, he was cool, not too bad at all. Smith was a bit... goofy I guess? He did grow on me at the end of the series, but it was hard to take him seriously compared to the other doctors. Because of about four, or five friends of mine I started getting hooked on it.

I have only just started going back in time, watching the older Doctors (Getting off Itune, each of the first and last episodes for all the doctors, well except the last three since I already seen them). I am really liking the 3rd and 4th Doctor, I like the 3rd's outfit strangely enough, and 4th's kinda funny, and weird looking (Nothing wrong with that). At first I couldn't watch the classic series, because of the corny backgrounds, fake monsters etc, but I am getting kinda used to it, that I can watch it enough. 7th Doctor interests me for some reason as well, the name sounds familiar for some reason (And he looks like one of the recurring characters on Modern Family).

Planning to watch some of the first and second ones (Really a shame the Tenth Planet has the last one missing, seriously what kind of idiot would erase that. Personally I think it's gone forever, lost for all eternity in time. Just because they are offering a life sized Dalek, and a fan or not, can you imagine getting one of those? It's a collectors one, and I bet for the non fans, you could sell it for tons). It is weird watching the first, second and third doctors considering the actors have passed, but at the same time interesting to see where it all started.

Edit: I agree about the Silthereens, when I first watched that episode, it was hard to take seriously, especially the aliens being bad (Might be because I saw a review of it beforehand, and they were talking about how they had a baby face with big eyes... Now that's all I see). Plus their movements seem kinda fake at times.

Last edited:

pokemasterz

King of The Pirates
Boom Town
Tooth and Claw
The Impossible Planet
The Satan Pit
Love and Monsters
Doomsday
Voyage of the Damned
The Stolen Earth
Journey's End
The Next Doctor
Planet of the Dead
The Idiot's Lantern
Fear Her
Daleks in Manhattan
Evolution of the Daleks
The Doctor's Daughter
The Beast Below
Victory of the Daleks
The Lodger
Closing Time
The Crimson Horror

I liked some of those episodes. What's with the hate on Stormy the Dark Lord of All?

Dragonair7

Feelin' the heat?
I just recently got hooked to this show, but now i am around to stay!!

Absolutely love Tennant. Brilliant actor. "Sexy?" Yes, definitely.
I am kinda torn between 10 and 11. They both have that mercurial quality that makes them such awesome actors. Idk how Smith, who is 20-something, manages to seem so sad and pensive that you believe that he is 1200 years old. I am going back and watching from the reboot. My favorite companions are Rose and Amy and Rory. I love how the doctor can't have a working relationship with another male. When Rory first came in the Tardis, you could taste the testosterone. Same with Mickey.

For the villains: The weeping angels freak me out. Definitely terrifying. I also like the Silence.
When i first watched the series, i couldn't take the daleks as a serious enemy. they were kinda goofy. Then i realized how scary they actually were. The enemies that show up once or twice are cool too. I loved the Satan's Pit episode. I thought the plot behind that one, and the Ood thing was amazing.

pokemasterz

King of The Pirates
Hey, I have a question. When are the new Doctor Who episodes going to air?

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
New Who really ruined the Daleks.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Daleks were TERRIFYING in the OS. Watching Genesis of the Daleks is genuinely one of the scariest experiences I've ever had with television.

Now? Daleks just...are kinda comical? And WHAT WAS WITH the flying Daleks in the Christmas special? It became Star Wars. It was bad.

I think that Moffat wrote a lot of good stuff for the RTD-era, when he just wrote an episode here or there (The Girl in the Fireplace and The Empty Child are both pretty fantastic.) But as a showrunner...I think he's forgotten what makes Who, Who. I think he doesn't quite know what separates the Doctor from Sherlock Holmes. Those are NOT characters who should be interchangeable, but somehow under Moffat's reign that's exactly what's happened.

I DID very much like Amy and Rory. Clara has been so generic. When I watch Tom Baker's episodes...he had the best run of companions, imo. Sarah Jane, Harry Sullivan, K-9, LEELA, Romana I and II, all had wonderful and unique dynamics with the Doctor.

matt0044

Only Doctor Who could concoct such a scenario (spoilers for Season six):

[spoil]
tumblr_inline_n0k7gpfKi81ry2j62.jpg
[/spoil]

Tropios

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Daleks were TERRIFYING in the OS. Watching Genesis of the Daleks is genuinely one of the scariest experiences I've ever had with television.

Now? Daleks just...are kinda comical? And WHAT WAS WITH the flying Daleks in the Christmas special? It became Star Wars. It was bad.

I think that Moffat wrote a lot of good stuff for the RTD-era, when he just wrote an episode here or there (The Girl in the Fireplace and The Empty Child are both pretty fantastic.) But as a showrunner...I think he's forgotten what makes Who, Who. I think he doesn't quite know what separates the Doctor from Sherlock Holmes. Those are NOT characters who should be interchangeable, but somehow under Moffat's reign that's exactly what's happened.

I DID very much like Amy and Rory. Clara has been so generic. When I watch Tom Baker's episodes...he had the best run of companions, imo. Sarah Jane, Harry Sullivan, K-9, LEELA, Romana I and II, all had wonderful and unique dynamics with the Doctor.
Oh but the daleks being comical started with Eccleston already IMO. That's a flaw of new who in general. But the general idea of, well, when you meet a dalek, you're pretty much death is still intact.

I love Moffat's take on it tbh. Let's be honest, did RTD ever did more than Doctor beats bad guys? He was TERRIFIED of touching the Doctor's personal timeline it seems. While Moffat just rampages through everything that makes the Doctor. It is his biggest flaw, but at the same time his major talent. Moffat is a worthy successor to RTD to say the least. He got me hooked on the show