• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Gameplay & Battle Mechanics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakurai

IIRC, one of the developer interviews specifically mentioned that most of the new moves and such will be restricted to new Pokemon (such as Refrigerate, Parting Shot, Gale Wings, Grass Pelt, Strong Jaw, Gooey, Magician, Bulletproof, Boomburst, Freeze-Dry, Forest's Curse, Trick-or-Treat, starter moves, Noble Roar, etc).

I'd imagine they'll get wider distribution in the next game, when the newness factor wears off.

I managed to have Heliolisk teach Mareep Eerie Impulse as an egg move, so hopefully, some of the new moves that are actually good can be passed onto old Pokemon.

Greninja491

Does anyone know how assualt vest stacks in a sandstorm? I know that it give a 50% boost and sandstorm is 30% boost to Sp.Def for rock types but does anyone know how these bonuses stack?

Is it like say the example rock pokemon has 200 special defense
Assualt Vest alone adds 100
Sandstorm alone adds 60

1. (200x1.5)x1.3 = 390 Sp.Def this comes from first calculating the boost from AV then calculating the sandstorm boost from the new 300 Sp.Def.

2. It adds the seperate boost of 100 from AV and 60 from sandstorm together and adds it to Sp.Def which is 360

so which is it, anyone know?

Greninja491

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
You can pass down the ability as well? or no?

Yes, you need to have a parent with the Ability and another parent in the same evolutionary line, or a Ditto.

You can also find Hidden Abilities in Horde Battles.

Belloni

good to know... Cause I want a solar power charmander, so i'll have to get that... also since when does slugma have weak armor? or is that a new hidden ability for him?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
good to know... Cause I want a solar power charmander, so i'll have to get that... also since when does slugma have weak armor? or is that a new hidden ability for him?

Since Gen V. The ability changes have their own page in the main site.

Rakurai

Dazzling Gleam targets the entire opposing side in double/triple battles.

As if the move wasn't good enough already...

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Dazzling Gleam targets the entire opposing side in double/triple battles.

As if the move wasn't good enough already...

It'll only hit everything in a triple battle if you're in the center, though. It's basically just a Fairy-type Surf.

Chronoblazer

Veteran Trainer
I suppose this goes under game mechanics. I've been trying to catch Ekans and Diglett and have yet to come across them. I know the X/Y Serebiidex says that they are found on Route 14 and Route 13 respectfully. I spent a couple hours last night searching but never found them. Is there a specific way to make them appear, like with Venepede outside of Parfum Palace? Or does Day and Night still affect what Pokemon appear?

I suppose this goes under game mechanics. I've been trying to catch Ekans and Diglett and have yet to come across them. I know the X/Y Serebiidex says that they are found on Route 14 and Route 13 respectfully. I spent a couple hours last night searching but never found them. Is there a specific way to make them appear, like with Venepede outside of Parfum Palace? Or does Day and Night still affect what Pokemon appear?
I'm not sure about Diglett, but Ekans apparently only appears in Hordes (the battles with five wild Pokémon). So probably the same with Diglett. Use Sweet Scent or Honey and you'll encounter hordes in no time:)

iKarlCPFC

It would of been nice if they let you assign a Pokémon that knows an HM to the Y button

MasterofArcanine

Pokecollection Maste

According to the guide Diglet doesn't appear on Route 13 but it evolved form does Dugtrio. Also Ekans is a Horde Battle only and rare. You would have to use Honey or Sweet Scent a lot to get it. Trust me I tried to find it.

Kryostasys

Also, any news on the legendary birds?

From (a single) personal experience, they seem appear randomly in the field after you'd beaten the E4/Champ. Literally the first encounter I had after finishing was Zapdos, who proceeded to nope right out of battle immediately.

----

Anyways, I have a question myself to the breeders around here. Sorry if this has been covered/asked before, but I've searched and can't find anything. In prior gen's, the details of your egg (IV, Nature etc) were determined when you collected the egg from Day care. Has this changed? I've spent some time yesterday evening and my lunch break at work today breeding Noibats for a better nature/overall IV spread, and each time I got the exact same nature/characteristic/gender/ability on the hatched pokémon. I tried saving before handing both my breeding bats over to Day care, and did around 8 or 9 soft resets, and a couple of hard ones. Each time, identical baby. So I took that one and bred again, saving just before speaking to the Day care guy. 10 resets this lunch break (I got it down to a 6 minute cycle between picking up the egg and hatching it with some creative paper weight usage on my desk). Now this Noibat was different to the last one, but again, each reset, identical hatchling. Neither of the parents were holding items.

Have I just encountered the most ridiculous RNG? Or has anyone else observed this change? Or was this changed in B/W2? (Which I skipped over... certainly wasn't the case in B/W). Because this is a real significant breeding change if the mating pair have an almost pre-defined offspring result each time, both good and bad (more bad than anything else).

Regality

Digital King
Talking about the birds.. do you need something with shadow tag to catch them?

Rakurai

No. You need to encounter them about a dozen times or so, and they'll retreat to the Sea Spirit's Den and stay there, where you can battle them properly.

On a separate note, I was a little annoyed to find that Knock Off's description is actually wrong, and its power does NOT increase when hitting targets with held items. I tested it about a dozen times with multiple items, and the damage was always within the same small range. Whether it's a glitch or a translation error is a mystery, but I'm hoping it's the former because Dark could really use a buff on the offensive end of things.

Last edited:

dark_kitty091

I know this game has gotten pretty great reviews, but I'm a bit let down. Is it just me, or is there practically zero post game? The Friend Safari and Battle Maison are cool, but apart from that there's not much else. There's less legendaries to catch, and it appears that the random swarms on certain routes each day are gone, as well as other non-region specific pokemon now popping up in the wild outside of the safari. There's only one new town to visit, and no new routes to speak of. This wouldn't be such a letdown if it wasn't that in comparison, Black and White 2 basically had half the map left to explore and a slew of legionaries (the Regis, Mespirit and that trio, latios in the dreamyard, and more). There were also more long-term battling options (the Battle Subway, daily ship AND Black Tower/ White Tree hollow). Other games have also contained a lengthier post-game featuring at least a couple new towns and routes (and of course there's the beloved double regions from Gold/Silver).

I know part of the reason the game might be shorter is space taken up by the improved graphics and 3d and such. But did the postgame really have to be that skimpy? Or am I just missing something big? Other people seem in love with this new game, but I'm just "meh."

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I know this game has gotten pretty great reviews, but I'm a bit let down. Is it just me, or is there practically zero post game? The Friend Safari and Battle Maison are cool, but apart from that there's not much else. There's less legendaries to catch, and it appears that the random swarms on certain routes each day are gone, as well as other non-region specific pokemon now popping up in the wild outside of the safari. There's only one new town to visit, and no new routes to speak of. This wouldn't be such a letdown if it wasn't that in comparison, Black and White 2 basically had half the map left to explore and a slew of legionaries (the Regis, Mespirit and that trio, latios in the dreamyard, and more). There were also more long-term battling options (the Battle Subway, daily ship AND Black Tower/ White Tree hollow). Other games have also contained a lengthier post-game featuring at least a couple new towns and routes (and of course there's the beloved double regions from Gold/Silver).

I know part of the reason the game might be shorter is space taken up by the improved graphics and 3d and such. But did the postgame really have to be that skimpy? Or am I just missing something big? Other people seem in love with this new game, but I'm just "meh."

This is almost always the case with the first two games. There's pretty much always next to no post game.

Status
Not open for further replies.