• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Gameplay & Battle Mechanics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
So, there's an event at Paris Pokemon Centers that will distribute a Pokeball Pattern Vivillon. The first of its kind.
I wonder if they will introduce more new patterns in the third installment.

so no online distribution? So only French people will get it?
that makes me sad.

Bamboosle

I'm sorry but i have no idea if i can ask/discuss it here and i do not know if is has been mentioned allready (too many pages and too little time). But i was wondering, after the introduction of Fairy Type, what happens to Whitney and her Gym in Goldenrod? Her signature pokemon are Clefairy a fairy type pokemon and Miltank a normal type pokemon. And her gym is Clefairy-shaped. Will she stay a normal-type gymleader and lose Clefairy or will she become a Fairy Type trainer and thus losing Miltank?
I was just wondering. I know it doesn't matter for X and Y (or even ORAS) but just curiosity.

Aetius

I'm sorry but i have no idea if i can ask/discuss it here and i do not know if is has been mentioned allready (too many pages and too little time). But i was wondering, after the introduction of Fairy Type, what happens to Whitney and her Gym in Goldenrod? Her signature pokemon are Clefairy a fairy type pokemon and Miltank a normal type pokemon. And her gym is Clefairy-shaped. Will she stay a normal-type gymleader and lose Clefairy or will she become a Fairy Type trainer and thus losing Miltank?
I was just wondering. I know it doesn't matter for X and Y (or even ORAS) but just curiosity.

You made a good question. XD
I can see her losing Clefairy and getting Jigglypuff.
He's as cute as a Clefairy (from Whiteney's point of view) and is a dual typed Pokèmon (Normal/Fairy). :D
Anyway this makes wonder....will they give us the chance to face her once again World-tournament style in the Z version?
Who knows...

Eeveemaster

Amemoth Fan :D
I was battling someone on PSS and this player has Mega Latias..

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
That idea came to me as well and turned into a fic. :V

I guess it's something they don't have to worry about for ages, assuming they ever want to make GSC/HGSS again (and if they port it, it'd probably just run off old mechanics anyway!) Also, some Gym Leaders have used Pokémon not of their own type. Does kinda suck for Whitney though, what with basing her Gym puzzle (the maze) on Clefairy...
I was battling someone on PSS and this player has Mega Latias..
They probably used a wondercard or whatever it is to access it, but I believe they cannot be traded.

SilverAlex

Quick question, i've heard of this item called the shiny charm? Can someone explain when it was introduced? And is this item in Pokemon X/Y?

I've played through X and am about to start Y for the first time, so I was just wondering if there's any version differences between the two, apart from version-exclusive Pokemon and Mega Stones (and some minor dialogue changes to accommodate Yvetal instead of Xerneas). I know that all the rivals/Gym Leaders/Flare bosses/Elite Four use the exact same rosters, but do any trainers use different teams? or is Y basically the exact same as X (aside from a handful of wild Pokemon and Mega Stones)?

if so, that's a bit disappointing, and certainly a step back from Gen V. not a HUUUUGE deal, of course, but it was nice that B&W had version-exclusive gym leaders, one city that looked completely different between the two versions, and at least one version-exclusive area (Black City/White Forest)....and maybe even more stuff that I'm forgetting right now?

Catstorm

ポケモン トレーナー
The only thing you neglected to mention was a slight change in the details of the legendary weapon in the plot. I hate to tell you, but that's all the version differences we get. At least ORAS will make up for it with the fact that we get different teams on each version.

The fairy thread is closed, and redirected to the dex thread. The dex thread is also closed and redirected me here. So I guess this is where I should take up Fairy type discussion:

The majority of Fairy types actually have mythological bases that make sense. There's a running series of pixies(Clefairy line, Togepi line, Jigglypuff line, Sylveon), sylphs and spriggans(Florges line, Whimsicott line), and goblins(Granbull line) as well as more unique instances such as a Futa Kuchi Onna(Mawile), Clíodhna(Gardevoir), and the Four Stags of Midgard rolled into one(Xerneas). Fairy type actually pulls itself together pretty well although it obviously takes the actual Fae of folklore and embellishes them with more modern, Disney-esque ideas of wha far are.

I'd very much like to see some Fairy types that are on the less cute side of the Fae. Phooka, Dullahan, Rusalka, and Bánánach pokemon would be great IMO.

Missed this.
I wouldn't say that all those pokémon are based on fairies or other mythological creatures at all.

Fairies that seem to have some mythological aspects:
Cleffa line: being mysterious creatures that are connected to the moon and dances at the night.
Flabébé line: obvious
Ralts line: Guardian Angels, it's a stretch but I'll give you it
Mawile: you already mentioned it
Cottonee line: being mischievous little being fit quite well with the traditional fairies
Carbink & Diancie: Carbuncle
Xerneas: Yggdrasil and the four stags

Fairy pokemon who lack such attributes:
Jigglypuff line: they're living balloons. Being pink and having pointy ears aren't enough to be considered a pixie
Togepi line: It goes from an egg to a bird, still don't see any elements of pixies
Snubbul line: they're generic bulldogs, I have no idea where you got goblins from. Probably only got the type because of its species
Mr. Mime line: they're mimes...
Marill line: aquatic mice and a rabbit
Dedenne: another mouse
Spritzee line: perfume and masquerade ,ask
Swirlix line: a visual pun
Sylveon: Except from its name nothing about it indicates pixies

So we have about 16 who seems to have some inspiration from pixies and similar creatures. I would personally only go with 13 because I see the Ralts line as a stretch. Then we have 19 (22 counting Ralts line) who are not based on something like that. I would hardly call that the majority.

So lets see how many of those who could be considered cute or elegant: I would say everyone except the Snubbul line, Spritzee line, Carbink Mr. Mime and Klefki. (I do know some people who think that Spritzee and Klefki are cute, but I don't think that is the majority.) Which means that about 28 of them could fit this idea.
We also see that 16 of the known fairies have some sort of significant pink color on their body. Looking at this its clear that cute modern fairies (and cuteness in general) have more in common with the fairy type than the traditional ones.

I personally hope that they will introduce more mythological fairies. But at the time being it seems that Disney fairies are the most common type of fairies, the traditional ones are not the ajority to say at least.

Last edited:

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
The fairy thread is closed, and redirected to the dex thread. The dex thread is also closed and redirected me here. So I guess this is where I should take up Fairy type discussion:

I wouldn't say that all those pokémon are based on fairies or other mythological creatures at all.

Fairies that seem to have some mythological aspects:
Cleffa line: being mysterious creatures that are connected to the moon and dances at the night.
Flabébé line: obvious
Ralts line: Guardian Angels, it's a stretch but I'll give you it
Mawile: you already mentioned it
Cottonee line: being mischievous little being fit quite well with the traditional fairies
Carbink & Diancie: Carbuncle
Xerneas: Yggdrasil and the four stags

Fairy pokemon who lack such attributes:
Jigglypuff line: they're living balloons. Being pink and having pointy ears aren't enough to be considered a pixie
Togepi line: It goes from an egg to a bird, still don't see any elements of pixies
Snubbul line: they're generic bulldogs, I have no idea where you got goblins from. Probably only got the type because of its species
Mr. Mime line: they're mimes...
Marill line: aquatic mice and a rabbit
Dedenne: another mouse
Spritzee line: perfume and masquerade ,ask
Swirlix line: a visual pun
Sylveon: Except from its name nothing about it indicates pixies

So we have about 16 who seems to have some inspiration from pixies and similar creatures. I would personally only go with 13 because I see the Ralts line as a stretch. Then we have 19 (22 counting Ralts line) who are not based on something like that. I would hardly call that the majority.

So lets see how many of those who could be considered cute or elegant: I would say everyone except the Snubbul line, Spritzee line, Carbink Mr. Mime and Klefki. (I do know some people who think that Spritzee and Klefki are cute, but I don't think that is the majority.) Which means that about 28 of them could fit this idea.
We also see that 16 of the known fairies have some sort of significant pink color on their body. Looking at this its clear that cute modern fairies (and cuteness in general) have more in common with the fairy type than the traditional ones.

I personally hope that they will introduce more mythological fairies. But at the time being it seems that Disney fairies are the most common type of fairies, the traditional ones are not the ajority to say at least.

The most common representation of Pixies is that of small and child-like beings who are generally fond of play, singing, merrymaking, etc. This sounds like the Togepi line(a line of pokemon whose species include "Hapiness" and "Jubilee") to me, even further that Togetic's design gives it a thurough Fae-like appearance. I've never seen a bird that looks anything like Togekiss.

Made a mistake on the Snubull line, they favor the Cú Sidhe. Makes sense with the species name as Cú Sidhe is "Faerie hound".

The Ralts line doesn't give a vibe of guardian angels IMO, nor do their appearances seem to be what would commonly be considered angelic. Gardevoir rings of Clíodhna, a Bean Sidhe queen who protected the weak and who song was known to heal the sick. This is also due to Gardevoir's very royal Mega evolution and her access to hyper voice.

I would say that the Swirlix pun is legitimate as Ampharos' mega evolution is also a pun. The whole "fairy floss" thing

Sylveon's name is reflected in it's behavior. Sylph are Fae that are associated with the air, Sylveon is shown to be quite the light and floaty pokemon with ribbons blowing in the wind and butterfly wings associated with many representations of the sprite-like Fae.

Many of these are leaning into the more modern, cutesy side of the Fae(although there certainly were Fae that were signs of good tidings, which is what many of these are based upon). That doesn't exclude them from actually being Fae as they remain apart of the Faerie folk even if they are only a portion of it.

Edit:A post on the Mega Evolution thread pointed out that Azumarill could be a nod to the Easter bunny. Would make sense with the patterned egg body.

Last edited:

LordSerperior

The most common representation of Pixies is that of small and child-like beings who are generally fond of play, singing, merrymaking, etc. This sounds like the Togepi line(a line of pokemon whose species include "Hapiness" and "Jubilee") to me, even further that Togetic's design gives it a thurough Fae-like appearance. I've never seen a bird that looks anything like Togekiss.

Made a mistake on the Snubull line, they favor the Cú Sidhe. Makes sense with the species name as Cú Sidhe is "Faerie hound".

The Ralts line doesn't give a vibe of guardian angels IMO, nor do their appearances seem to be what would commonly be considered angelic. Gardevoir rings of Clíodhna, a Bean Sidhe queen who protected the weak and who song was known to heal the sick. This is also due to Gardevoir's very royal Mega evolution and her access to hyper voice.

I would say that the Swirlix pun is legitimate as Ampharos' mega evolution is also a pun. The whole "fairy floss" thing

Sylveon's name is reflected in it's behavior. Sylph are Fae that are associated with the air, Sylveon is shown to be quite the light and floaty pokemon with ribbons blowing in the wind and butterfly wings associated with many representations of the sprite-like Fae.

Many of these are leaning into the more modern, cutesy side of the Fae(although there certainly were Fae that were signs of good tidings, which is what many of these are based upon). That doesn't exclude them from actually being Fae as they remain apart of the Faerie folk even if they are only a portion of it.

Edit:A post on the Mega Evolution thread pointed out that Azumarill could be a nod to the Easter bunny. Would make sense with the patterned egg body.

Even if you somehow are able to prove that all fairy types are based on some mythical creature then according to you fairy is defined by anything based on mythical creatures? If this is correct than I think the type makes no sense cuz with that definition Water type should be anything based on aquatic organisms not pokemon that are themselves aquatic and Azumarril should lose its water type. And with that definition of the fairy type you could probably give the type to almost all the legendaries and quite a lot of other pokemon. The fairy pokemon don't really have anything in common and the question that what classifies as a fairy type pokemon remains, even if you trace Jigglypuff and Mr.Mime to some obscure mythical creature

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Even if you somehow are able to prove that all fairy types are based on some mythical creature then according to you fairy is defined by anything based on mythical creatures? If this is correct than I think the type makes no sense cuz with that definition Water type should be anything based on aquatic organisms not pokemon that are themselves aquatic and Azumarril should lose its water type. And with that definition of the fairy type you could probably give the type to almost all the legendaries and quite a lot of other pokemon. The fairy pokemon don't really have anything in common and the question that what classifies as a fairy type pokemon remains, even if you trace Jigglypuff and Mr.Mime to some obscure mythical creature

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy

This seems fairy-ly(eh? eh?) obvious. All but Mawile are European(Yōkai could be included as well, they function very similarly to that of Fae, they are either mischievous/happy-go-lucky trouble/merrymakers or omens) stemming from mostly the Celtic traditions and follow functions spelled out in the Yōkai parenthesis and/or are more Disney-esque interpretations of those same creatures. This makes them fundamentally different from types like water, grass, or fire as those are elemental labels that can be mixed and matched while Fairy categorizes itself much like dragon: does the creature fit the characteristics presented in the mythology? Yes? It is a fairy/dragon. I believe the variety in the Fae of folklore combined with the more Disney-ish variety of the folk is what is throwing people off, the Fae are far from homogenous; ranging from sprites and sylphs, shapeshifters and strange apparitions, to goblins, trolls and ogres.

Last edited:

Togetic migh look like a traditional (and modern fairy) so i'll give you that. However referrences to child play are quite common among small pokémon, because they are child like. I don't see any visual similarity between Togepi and a fairy either. It is just an egg with limbs and a spiked head. While Togekiss lacks a beak I still think it looks more like a bird than anything else. Most likely a dove as seen with its dex entries.

I am not completely sure what a Chu Sidhe is, but I do know what a Chu Sith is and I think they are similar. It is a mythological dog which looks like a wolf and doesn't share any traits with Snubbul. The only similarity are that both are dogs. This would just be a visual pun. I'll come bavk to that.

I think the Ralts line is mainly base on dancers. Kirlia being a ballette dancer and Gardevoir a ballroom dancer. I think it is based on a guardian angel as well because most of its entries describe it protecting its trainer. The line has never been famous for healing. I also have the impression that Gardevoir protects its trainer because of their bond, and not because the trainer is weak. Mega Gardevoir doesn't look royal to me, it seems to be wearing a generic wedding dress.
i don't see any more similarities between Gardevoir and Cliodhna than between it and other love godnesses.

Now back to the puns. Visual puns can be alright. they can spice some pokémon up (however i still think the pokémon should show some traits of its typing). Visual puns are often exceptions from what defines the type. One wouldn't use Mega Ampharos to show what defines most Dragons. It is even worse with Swirlix. Neither the pokémon itself nor its namesake do have anything to do with fairies. Everything is just sweet. I don't see how this helps you show that the majority of fairies have a mythical origin.

I was actually referring to Sylveons japanese name as they are the originals. This name shows to nymphs instead. Nymphs have an affinity for water, nothing like Sylveon. The pink ribbons reminds me more of cute modern fairies than the traditionals.
Sylveon is a very good example, not only do the eeveelutions often show a type in a very pure way but Sylveon is also basically the Fairy mascot. Its design is pinkish with ribbons. its descriptions mention how it cares for others and likes peace. Stuff I think fit mordern cute fairies more than the originals.

Most of the Fairy pokémon are friendly and caring, the only one that seems like pranksters are Whimsicott, Mime Jr., Mr. Mime and Mawile. Looking aside from their personality, and just the physique, Fairy pokémon have a lot in common with the Fairy Egg group. Most being small, stubby and"cute" pokémon.
You can usually figure out a pokémon's typing by its appearance, personality, and known traits. You shouldn't have to know a pokémon's origin to make sense out of its typing. I can't do that with Fairy pokémon. The only thing I can connect with the Fairy type pokemon themsleves are that the majority are "cute".
I have never said that they aren't a part of the original fairies. However there is no sign of the fairy type consisting of a wider spectrum. Very few of the pokémon themselves are mythical, magical or extremely rare. Most Fairy pokémon today are defined by being cute/elegant, caring, peace-loving( and pink). Not much like the wide typing we wanted to see.

Last edited:

LordSerperior

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy

This seems fairy-ly(eh? eh?) obvious. All but Mawile are European(Yōkai could be included as well, they function very similarly to that of Fae, they are either mischievous/happy-go-lucky trouble/merrymakers or omens) stemming from mostly the Celtic traditions and follow functions spelled out in the Yōkai parenthesis and/or are more Disney-esque interpretations of those same creatures. This makes them fundamentally different from types like water, grass, or fire as those are elemental labels that can be mixed and matched while Fairy categorizes itself much like dragon: does the creature fit the characteristics presented in the mythology? Yes? It is a fairy/dragon. I believe the variety in the Fae of folklore combined with the more Disney-ish variety of the folk is what is throwing people off, the Fae are far from homogenous; ranging from sprites and sylphs, shapeshifters and strange apparitions, to goblins, trolls and ogres.

You missed my point completely! What the pokemon are based on is besides the point, my point was cuteness is the only trait you can say is common to all the fairies. I wasn't even arguing about whether they are based on mythical creatures or not, I'll accept they all are so do you think being based on a mythical creature is something that should get a pokemon the fairy type? I don't mind types that aren't well defined but Fairy the way it is feels like a random typing. What makes you qualify for the fairy type, healing/life? Mischief/trickery? Magic? Cosmic powers? These are the most common traits used to describe the type but none of these is shared by a large majority of the pokemon? I don't think so

It categorises like dragon you say but it's far from that? Most Dragon types look to a certain extent similar in appearance, not the case with fairy types. Is the type given by appearance then what does Wigglytuff/Togekiss/Aromatise resemble from mythology? And if it's not the appearance but the concept of fairies then why was Azumarril given the type? Cuz it does not have anything in common with the Easter bunny besides appearance to some extent

I'm just tired that people want things to be fairy just because they're based on mythical creatures. Unicorn pokemon, give it fairy; pegasus pokemon, give it fairy. It just gets annoying, pokemon should be typed for what they are themselves not what they are based on

Last edited:

jhop19

Hey, yeah, it's been a good 5 years since I last played Pearl (and that was on my DS Lite :p ). Last I remember, the new thing was the ice, fire, and electric punches and bites, Porygon Z's killer Tri-Blast (with "upgrade" ability?), and of course Garchomp in a Sandstorm.

I'm thinking of buying a 2ds and getting X or Y. I'd really like an update on how the game as been from a competitive standpoint. I'm looking for:

Most popular Pokemon/move set combos
Top OU pokes
New (from BL and XY) moves and their applications as stand alone and with other moves
Whatever else you choose to bless me with :O

I'm very curious ab the battle mechanics of Florges Symbiosis Hidden ability ?? Could I mega evolve Aggron then pass him an assault vest ?

Status
Not open for further replies.