• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Gameplay & Battle Mechanics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Given how much more of an influence a single Mega can have in 3v3, and given how 3v3 has fewer possible combinations available as opposed to 6v6, is there any reason to not use one the 26 available Megas in that format? Considering how much more game-changing a Mega can be in 3v3, I feel like it's way more biased toward Mega Evolution than 6v6.

Speaking of which, why isn't 6v6 with restrictions a thing?

Addydo

X-Men/Pokemon Fan!
You probably need to wait for the Poke Transporter to get a Pikachu/Raichu with Iron Tail.

However, it may be able to be passed down by breeding, but its unlikely. The extent of the egg moves in X/Y is not known.

Damn, that sucks! :( Ok, thanks! :)

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Considering the fact that the AI has randomly generated 'mons in Battle Maison, I'm thinking that they're probably not going to use Megas as often as the player will. Combined with the fact that you now get 1 BP after every fight (at least in Singles), and you have no obligation to perform seven-win streaks, it seems as though Maison grinding will be easier than Tower or Subway grinding was.

Rakurai

I'm a little disappointed in how low the distribution of a lot of the new moves is shaping up to be.

For instance, Helioptile is seemingly the only Pokemon that can learn Electrify, a move that could've seen much better use on users like Manectric and Raichu who could abuse it for Lightningrod boosts.

Belloni

For noivern, the hidden ability telepathy (Prevents damage from team-mates during Double and Triple battles) is that just for noivern or both your pokemon on the field? also has anyone tried to put heatwave on him? noticed that he can learn flame thrower

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
someones already found a way to hack >_< tamashi tweeted about it https://twitter.com/TamashiiHiroka
A person on twitter claiming their friend got a Mewtwo from a different route is not proof someone hacked. Also sounds rather out of the blue as well, given the large inability to do anything with dumped roms thus far from the 3ds.

I'm sceptical, so would need picture evidence and shown to not be just some glitch. Or some elaborate ingame explanation(what happens if you faint the Mewtwo for instance - does it respawn later, and where?)

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
A person on twitter claiming their friend got a Mewtwo from a different route is not proof someone hacked. Also sounds rather out of the blue as well, given the large inability to do anything with dumped roms thus far from the 3ds.

I'm sceptical, so would need picture evidence and shown to not be just some glitch. Or some elaborate ingame explanation(what happens if you faint the Mewtwo for instance - does it respawn later, and where?)

If you faint it it just respawns in Unknown Dungeon after beating the Elite Four, so it wouldn't be that.

I'm not going to believe this without pictures either, as you said, real strange that this is the first news of hacking the 3DS we get.

Lumithy

Not sure if this has been said before (which it probably has), but has anyone noticed/used an instant catch? I've noticed that if you press a button at the right time while capturing a Pokemon, the ball does kind of a wobble in the air, drops, rolls once, and captures the Pokemon. I've done this twice already and at first I thought it was a glitch, but...I was also wondering if anybody else has done this yet and/or knows how to do it more often.

killercloud

Not sure if this has been said before (which it probably has), but has anyone noticed/used an instant catch? I've noticed that if you press a button at the right time while capturing a Pokemon, the ball does kind of a wobble in the air, drops, rolls once, and captures the Pokemon. I've done this twice already and at first I thought it was a glitch, but...I was also wondering if anybody else has done this yet and/or knows how to do it more often.

It's called a critical catch. It first appeared in White 2 I think and is done randomly as far as I know. Totally down to luck.

Belloni

Anyone know if oblivion wing can be passed down? or is it specifically for Yveltal?

Bluemiracle

Biologist
How can you obtain Heart Scales on xy?

Xman96

Fighting Leader
How can you obtain Heart Scales on xy?

One can get one a day from Trevor in one of the towns, can't remember which one. Or you can go to Cyllage city and fish with an old rod to encounter Luvdics, use thief on them and you can get quite a few heart scales quickly.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Anyone know if oblivion wing can be passed down? or is it specifically for Yveltal?

It will only be learned by Yveltal, it's its signature move.

Also, I don't know if this is known or not, but in Inverse Battles, non-effective moves become super effective. I managed to use Dragon Pulse on a Granbull.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
One can get one a day from Trevor in one of the towns, can't remember which one. Or you can go to Cyllage city and fish with an old rod to encounter Luvdics, use thief on them and you can get quite a few heart scales quickly.

In addition I believe you can smash rocks for them and you can buy them with your PokeMiles.

Anyways.....
Really happy to see that some of the older Pokemon are getting stat upgrades, particularly to defences as when allot of these guys where created powerful moves were not as common. hoping so see afew more Speed increases, happy Pidgeot got one as it was needed, now hoping others like Venomoth and the Hitmon Chan ad Lee get some speed also. Shame Butterfree and Beedril only got an extra +10 as even with that they still need some more help.

wayrrr

Would you be able use a ditto caught in a master ball to breed with a male anything and have it be 'caught' in a master ball?

???

C Spriter
I'm guessing that there isn't a VS seeker or general way to rebattle random trainers in this game? Also, any news on the legendary birds?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I'm a little disappointed in how low the distribution of a lot of the new moves is shaping up to be.

For instance, Helioptile is seemingly the only Pokemon that can learn Electrify, a move that could've seen much better use on users like Manectric and Raichu who could abuse it for Lightningrod boosts.

IIRC, one of the developer interviews specifically mentioned that most of the new moves and such will be restricted to new Pokemon (such as Refrigerate, Parting Shot, Gale Wings, Grass Pelt, Strong Jaw, Gooey, Magician, Bulletproof, Boomburst, Freeze-Dry, Forest's Curse, Trick-or-Treat, starter moves, Noble Roar, etc).

I'd imagine they'll get wider distribution in the next game, when the newness factor wears off.

For noivern, the hidden ability telepathy (Prevents damage from team-mates during Double and Triple battles) is that just for noivern or both your pokemon on the field? also has anyone tried to put heatwave on him? noticed that he can learn flame thrower

It only protects the Pokemon with the Ability. I don't think anything compatible with Noivern can pass Heat Wave via Egg as of right now.

Would you be able use a ditto caught in a master ball to breed with a male anything and have it be 'caught' in a master ball?

Yes.

I'm guessing that there isn't a VS seeker or general way to rebattle random trainers in this game? Also, any news on the legendary birds?

There isn't, but there is Battle Chateau. The legendary bird you get depends on your starter, and can be fought at Sea Spirit's Den.

Status
Not open for further replies.