• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Gameplay & Battle Mechanics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I thought this would be the best thread since it's more related to gameplay/navigation than to Lumiose City itself...does anyone else find the automatic speech boxes in Lumiose to be extremely annoying? They were cute and even a little informative the first time, but when I'm riding my bike around, it's quite difficult to see the sign of the store I'm looking for when somebody's unrelated comment is popping up over it. Not to mention riding around one of the plazas trying to hatch an Egg and seeing the guy say "Maybe it was Magenta Plaza and not Bleu?" over and over again. xD

I suppose it'll change when I get more accustomed to the city and don't have to ride around looking for a specific place, but at this point I'm just trying to avoid anybody on the street so my screen doesn't end up clogged. I do wish there was an option to turn it off, though, or that it was just restricted to the A Button like most conversations are.

Just don't bump into anyone as you're travelling and you'll be fine.

Rakurai

So apparently, using Focus Energy in conjunction with either Super Luck, a Scope Lens, or a high crit rate move now gives you a 100% chance of getting a critical hit.

This could be fun for Pokemon like Kingdra and Hydreigon, as it means they can spam Draco Meteor with no downsides once they've used Focus Energy, plus the former has Sniper to make it even more painful.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
So apparently, using Focus Energy in conjunction with either Super Luck, a Scope Lens, or a high crit rate move now gives you a 100% chance of getting a critical hit.

This could be fun for Pokemon like Kingdra and Hydreigon, as it means they can spam Draco Meteor with no downsides once they've used Focus Energy, plus the former has Sniper to make it even more painful.

That could actually be a somewhat viable strategy, at least for the Battle Maison. In the case of Sniper Kingdra, that would be especially fun. Focus Energy's effect doesn't go away as long as you stay in, right? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
Delibird has three new egg moves, which are Spikes, Freeze Dry, and Destiny Bond. Spikes technically isn't a new move, since it used to get it as an event move back in G/S, but that was the only time.

Stunfisk also gained Reflect Type, Me First, and Eerie Impulse.

Delibird got...Freeze-Dry. Wow. Of all the Pokemon to get that...

Rakurai

Play Rough is honestly the only noteworthy offensive addition multiple old Pokemon have gotten as an egg move so far.

Lapras is the only one who can use Freeze Dry effectively out of the ones who can now use it, and Chatot is the only known additional user of Boomburst.

Overall, the majority of the new egg moves are looking to be as useless as ever.

killercloud

I don't know if this has always been the case with egg moves but I've never bred for moves before.

I've been wanting a Chansey with Seismic Toss for a while and read that it wasn't possible to get it in B/W and I read on Serebii that Chansey could get it this generation but there wasn't any other mon that could breed with it yet and I'd have to wait for the bank to open. I thought I'd do some experiments though and I bred Seismic Toss onto a Mawile from Mankey as they are both in the "Field" egg group. I then bred a male Mawile with Seismic Toss with a Chansey and I was pleased to see that Chansey gained Seismic Toss. I could also then breed them Chanseys with my high IV Dittos to get an Impish Chansey with Seismic Toss and 31/x/31/x/31/31 IVs which I'm very pleased with.

I didn't know I could transfer an egg move from one to another through a third party that crosses both egg types. So I was really pleased with this and thought I'd tell people in case they didn't know that either.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't know if this has always been the case with egg moves but I've never bred for moves before.

I've been wanting a Chansey with Seismic Toss for a while and read that it wasn't possible to get it in B/W and I read on Serebii that Chansey could get it this generation but there wasn't any other mon that could breed with it yet and I'd have to wait for the bank to open. I thought I'd do some experiments though and I bred Seismic Toss onto a Mawile from Mankey as they are both in the "Field" egg group. I then bred a male Mawile with Seismic Toss with a Chansey and I was pleased to see that Chansey gained Seismic Toss. I could also then breed them Chanseys with my high IV Dittos to get an Impish Chansey with Seismic Toss and 31/x/31/x/31/31 IVs which I'm very pleased with.

I didn't know I could transfer an egg move from one to another through a third party that crosses both egg types. So I was really pleased with this and thought I'd tell people in case they didn't know that either.

This is a system that has been in place forever, you're not doing anything special, really. A Pokemon doesn't need to breed with a Pokemon that learns a move normally to gain it, the male parent just needs to know the move.

killercloud

Ah fair enough lol as I said I've never bred for moves before. Good to know they perfected it a while ago :D

flawlessazn

Spiffy ~ ^^"
Something that I've noticed,

Even if you catch a Pokemon with a ball other than a Pokeball, the pokeball opening animation is all the same.

However, when you switch pokemon during battle and they have a different pokeball, the different effect shows.

Anyone else notice this?

ahw

Has anyone confirmed whether it is possible to change your Friend Safari? I've tried asking Google, but haven't gotten anything definitive. Some sites say that hard resetting your console will change your friend code and your friend safari, but I found one site where a guy claimed that he's hard reset multiple times and gotten the same Friend Safari. One site claimed that anything that changes your friend code will change your Friend Safari.

Personally, I think it'd be cool if everybody's Friend Safari changed every month, that way people with crappy Friend Safaris actually have a chance to get something good and the people with Ditto friend safaris can get a break and not be constantly hounded with friend requests.

Rakansen

ラルフ
Personally, I think it'd be cool if everybody's Friend Safari changed every month, that way people with crappy Friend Safaris actually have a chance to get something good and the people with Ditto friend safaris can get a break and not be constantly hounded with friend requests.

Yeah, at the very least I was hoping that Friend Safaris were going to also be integrated with StreetPass, since it's getting to the point where people aren't exchanging friend codes to interact online but to merely catch Pokémon in other Safaris.

||Caboose||

Precision.
I was trying to breed male swinub to have icicle crash using a swinub and beartic. I saved before giving the daycare the pokemon. After I gave them the pokemon and hatched the first egg they gave me, I'd SR'd because it was always female. I started to get annoyed because it kept constantly being female. I decided to check the stats, and it always turned out oblivious, mild, takes plenty of siestas, and the IV checker said it was decent overall with 31 IV HP but low defense. So, I'm guessing they're using the same breeding mechanics from B2/W2 that made egg RNGing irrelevant since the first egg never changes. Has anyone else noticed this?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I was trying to breed male swinub to have icicle crash using a swinub and beartic. I saved before giving the daycare the pokemon. After I gave them the pokemon and hatched the first egg they gave me, I'd SR'd because it was always female. I started to get annoyed because it kept constantly being female. I decided to check the stats, and it always turned out oblivious, mild, takes plenty of siestas, and the IV checker said it was decent overall with 31 IV HP but low defense. So, I'm guessing they're using the same breeding mechanics from B2/W2 that made egg RNGing irrelevant since the first egg never changes. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, it's been confirmed the first Egg is always the same.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Hopefully this thread is the right place to ask this: Is there a way to communicate during player-to-player wi-fi trading? I've had multiple people initiate a trade, yet for some every time I show them a pokemon to offer, they just copy me by offering me the same pokemon. Other times they offer a Pokemon I already have or am not interested in, and after five minutes it's still sitting there. Is there some sort of agreed upon way to predict when the other person may not be interested in a specific Pokemon so we don't have to play the guessing game? I'm not trying to be picky, but sometimes I just don't need another Pidgey :|

flawlessazn

Spiffy ~ ^^"
Has anyone else here noticed a delay before the battle menu pops up after the pokemon has been released from the ball??

Its about 1-2 secs … Could this be because of the increase in affection from Pokemon Amie? Didn't have this problem before.

Rakurai

Has anyone else here noticed a delay before the battle menu pops up after the pokemon has been released from the ball??

Its about 1-2 secs … Could this be because of the increase in affection from Pokemon Amie? Didn't have this problem before.

It is because of Amie.

The game waits until your Pokemon is finished fidgeting around or looking at you before the menu appears.

mokamook

hello all im currently starting my breeding program and am wanting some suggestions to some good combonations of pokemon/eggmoves for me to breed that would be popular .

Status
Not open for further replies.