• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Gameplay & Battle Mechanics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Aren't they coded into the game, though? Isn't that how we know they exist and were able to access them in the first place?

They don't exist as in haven't been announced. So they're not part of the battle video server. Or at the least, the server is set to not accept videos with certain Pokemon until a certain date.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
I think we all know what this means.
Nothing? Contest stats were in the code for BW (and presumably B2/W2), but they went mostly unused.They're probably still there in case someone, for some reason, transferred an unevolved max Beauty Feebas all the way from Gen III to XY so they could still evolve it that way, as was the case for BW.

Last edited:

Dolamite

I was having a discussion with my friend the other day about the accuracy of Thunder and Hurricane in the rain. If the opponent uses Double team in the Rain, does the evasion beat out Thunder/Hurricane, or do they still have 100% accuracy?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Nothing? Contest stats were in the code for BW (and presumably B2/W2), but they went mostly unused.They're probably still there in case someone, for some reason, transferred an unevolved max Beauty Feebas all the way from Gen III to XY so they could still evolve it that way, as was the case for BW.

The ability to evolve Feebas is hardly a good reason to keep Contest stats around considering Feebas has an alternate evolution method now. They wouldn't bother keeping them around if they didn't want to bring back Contests for a future game.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
The ability to evolve Feebas is hardly a good reason to keep Contest stats around considering Feebas has an alternate evolution method now. They wouldn't bother keeping them around if they didn't want to bring back Contests for a future game.
Then why would they have been in Gen V? That is literally the only thing contest stats did. Fourth paragraph. Until further evidence shows up, this seems to be the most likely reason since it has happened before.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
IMO, the Contest stats being on the data, whether it's going to be used or not, is just a matter of future-proofing.

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
I was having a discussion with my friend the other day about the accuracy of Thunder and Hurricane in the rain. If the opponent uses Double team in the Rain, does the evasion beat out Thunder/Hurricane, or do they still have 100% accuracy?

They still have perfect accuracy. I've hit Pokemon that have used double team multiple times using Hurricane and Thunder in the rain.

NathanLuxe

I think I might found something interesting with the breeding mechanics
I got a female Fraxure with Rivalary and abillity capsuled it to Mold Breaker
All of its kids had Mold Breaker (5 of them)
I took one (female) and started breeding her (all with ditto) - all 25 kids had mold breaker
My bouffalant which had recklees (I capsuled it to Sap Sipper) had 10 kids. 9/10 had Sap Sipper
It seems that parents who were abillity capsuled and their direct offsprings have a better chance to pass their abillity
Maybe not, worth testing

Devinias

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. But I am currently playing through x and y, and I want to go back to black and white 1 or 2 and play those. Will they still work with the pokebank even without the wifi network? Also any beginner advice would be great. I haven't played a pokemon game since game boy days in high school and college.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. But I am currently playing through x and y, and I want to go back to black and white 1 or 2 and play those. Will they still work with the pokebank even without the wifi network? Also any beginner advice would be great. I haven't played a pokemon game since game boy days in high school and college.

The only thing you can do with PokeBank and B/W/B2/W2 is use the PokeTransporter to transfer Pokemon to your Bank. You can't withdraw any.

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Will they still work with the pokebank even without the wifi network?

Pokebank and Poketransporter requires you to connect to the internet, so without internet access you can't access Pokebank.

However, if you're referring to the closing of Nintendo WFC servers at the end of May, Pokebank and Poketransporter are not affected by it since they use a different server.

diakyu

So I was crusin around Bulbapedia looking for some trouble when I decided to look at just how many moves currently existed. I scrolled down to numbers 614 and 615 to two moves named "Thousand Arrows" and "Thousand Waves". So what's the deal? They don't have pages yet so I assume they're like "Light of Ruin" and we're not supposed to know about them yet.

Rakurai

A certain group of people recently managed to do a full RAM dump of X/Y, which basically lets them look at all of the game's data.

Now I just hope they have the sense to not make the method of how they managed to do this go public, or else fair play in 3DS WiFi multiplayer is doomed, as it could easily branch out to other 3DS games that aren't relatively cheater-proof like Pokemon is, and messing with the game's RAM is how typical cheating devices like the Action Replay functioned.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
The main site now has pages on the three new moves, so they're probs legit.

http://serebii.net/attackdex-xy/holdhands.shtml

"Ally Pokémon hold hands. This makes them very happy."

http://serebii.net/attackdex-xy/thousandarrows.shtml

"This move also hits opposing Pokémon that are in the air. Those Pokémon are knocked down to the grounssd [sic]."

http://serebii.net/attackdex-xy/thousandwaves.shtml

"The user attacks with a wave that crawls along the ground. Those hit can't flee from battle."

I'm definitely getting shades of Freeze Shock and Ice Burn with those last two moves, there.

Status
Not open for further replies.