• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Rival/Recurring Character Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I hope they just drop Trip right after the Unova league. The character bombed in every capacity and nothing can save him now.

I see no reason to keep him after the league either, after Ash has beaten Gary and Paul at the leagues they pretty much were written out. I see no reason for Trip to stay since Gary/Paul didn't.

The character is fine you have been hating him from the start, you said he had no storyline and was a Shinji clone as soon as he beat Satoshi, he got his storyline, you said he was overpowered and it didn't make sense for him to be overpowered, he lost, then you said he was imcopetent, you just hated it from the start and no matter what he does you will still hate the dood, problem is your BS actually made some people buy into that hate the guy.

With that said, I don't know what will happen after the league so no idea if he can stick around or not but probably won't but if we get tournaments or something after the league its reasonable that just like Satoshi he would want to take part in them.

After all we know Shinji also challenged the Frontier Brains like Satoshi.

zeno48

Zaker!
With that said, I don't know what will happen after the league so no idea if he can stick around or not.

They are not going to waste money on him to stick around or that would mean giving his voice actor a raise. Where they could easily just send him off somewhere else and promote a new rival and spend less money which is what they've always done. They will not have him stick around as soon as this regions finishes and he isn't that good of a rival to begin with for Ash. Not in the way Paul or gary was.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
They are not going to waste money on him to stick around or that would mean giving his voice actor a raise. Where they could easily just send him off somewhere else and promote a new rival and spend less money which is what they've always done. They will not have him stick around as soon as this regions finishes and he isn't that good of a rival to begin with for Ash. Not in the way Paul or gary was.

LOL... a raise? his VA will stay he voices Scraggy I believe, how the heck did money come into this? yeah new rival migth have a new VA if it isn't a current anime VA, he will be added to the team and Shooti VA would be kept because of Scraggy.

He's not that good of a rival for you, if Shinji wasn't a rival before him people wouldn't be talking half the **** the talk on the character, oh and he is definetly then Shigeru, Shigeru just ran around saying he was better then Satoshi and didn't do crap, I would blame it on the writing at that time obviously but yeah Shooti is better(see I can do it too).

My only problem with his character handling rigth now is that I wanted him to appear one or two more times by now and had a 6vs6 battle like Shinji but they migth not do a 6vs6 to save the "suspense" for the league.

zeno48

Zaker!
LOL... a raise? his VA will stay he voices Scraggy I believe, how the heck did money come into this? yeah new rival migth have a new VA if it isn't a current anime VA, he will be added to the team and Shooti VA would be kept because of Scraggy.
I forgot that scraggy will stick around with ash and continue on to the new region. My bad off course, they will keep his voice actor for that role. Makes perfect sense. If the writers can save money, they will which is why i believe they decided to axe Brock because there was nothing left for him to do or they would have kept paying him a lot more with such a minimal role.

He's not that good of a rival for you

He's not a good rival period, he is basic generic trainer like any other unlike Paul which i believe was probably the best rival he had. Do you not see that diamond and pearl was praised because of their rivalry. So going from such a huge climax to acting like nothing occurred and reset everything is annoying and limits his progress because i expected him to be at a different level than this. Again to my disappointment they had Ash start out underpowered this region to the point where i hated the transition from sinnoh to unova. Resetting pikahu, having him lose to trip's starter who was a beginner and among other things that they try and pull off makes it impossible for me to appreciate trip as a worthy rival for Ash. You can try and rationalize it but he sucks compared to Paul who challenged all the leagues Ash did and made him a better trainer. Something Trip has yet to accomplish.

if Shinji wasn't a rival before him people wouldn't be talking half the **** the talk on the character,

There is a reason for that, because he is not as good and people expected him to be, going from an awesome rival after such a huge conclusion to a starting trainer like Trip is an insult imo to diamond and pearl. Paul had everything people liked and expected instead of some plain old happy character.

oh and he is definetly then Shigeru, Shigeru just ran around saying he was better then Satoshi and didn't do crap, I would blame it on the writing at that time obviously but yeah Shooti is better(see I can do it too).

Yeah gary was all talk but later he changed and was able to help Ash in later sagas. He kept motivating him because he didn't want to fall behind and i love some of the moments they both had. I didn't mind Gary's character and i believe he is responsible for the person Ash is. Lol but shooti better? no just regular but far from better. There is so much i can back up to prove it but it won't matter since everyone has seen and compared characters and lt's clear he doesn't match up and never will, especially now with the new rival being introduced.

Last edited:

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I forgot that scraggy will stick around with ash and continue on to the new region. My bad off course, they will keep his voice actor for that role. Makes perfect sense. If the writers can save money, they will which is why i believe they decided to axe Brock because there was nothing left for him to do or they would have kept paying him a lot more with such a minimal role.

He's not a good rival period, he is basic generic trainer like any other unlike Paul which i believe was probably the best rival he had. Do you not see that diamond and pearl was praised because of their rivalry. So going from such a huge climax to acting like nothing occurred and reset everything is annoying and limits his progress because i expected him to be at a different level than this. Again to my disappointment they had Ash start out underpowered this region to the point where i hated the transition from sinnoh to unova. Resetting pikahu, having him lose to trip's starter who was a beginner and among other things that they try and pull off makes it impossible for me to appreciate trip as a worthy rival for Ash. You can try and rationalize it but he sucks compared to Paul who challenged all the leagues Ash did and made him a better trainer. Something Trip has yet to accomplish.

There is a reason for that, because he is not as good and people expected him to be, going from an awesome rival after such a huge conclusion to a starting trainer like Trip is an insult imo to diamond and pearl. Paul had everything people liked and expected instead of some plain old happy character.

Yeah gary was all talk but later he changed and was able to help Ash in later sagas. He kept motivating him because he didn't want to fall behind and i love some of the moments they both had. I didn't mind Gary's character and i believe he is responsible for the person Ash is. Lol but shooti better? no just regular but far from better. There is so much i can back up to prove it but it won't matter since everyone has seen and compared characters and lt's clear he doesn't match up and never will, especially now with the new rival being introduced.

No not really, they cut Takeshi because they came to a point where they really didn't find anything else to give him, finally found a decent way to make him go and just did it.

Exactly and that is why Shinji is my favourite rival, I don't go fanboy and hate on Shooti from the start due to that, Shooti actually has more to him then Shinji character wise, he has helped Satoshi, he isn't an *** to just about everyone(including his brother), he doesn't bash Satoshi pokemon he bashes him for being from Kanto, to me he has been fun to watch, like I said hasn't gotten the screentime that I would like him to have but he has been fun to watch, I'm not trying to rationalize anything, you can't comparo Shooti to Satoshi or Shinji at the point they were in the league, Shinji would obviously beat him because he doesn't just store all his pokemon when he changes region so even if his "Pikachu" was reseted, he would just beat Snivy with something else, thats just plot... you can't compare things that are not comprable.

About Pikachu reseting yeah they always do it and they have to do it, because they don't get rid of him since he is a main character and because of that he has to be reset in power or do absolutelly nothing during an entire region, I actually liked how it was done this time with Zekrom doing it.

Yup thats why I like Shigeru now, even though it was a 360 turn, he finally got to the point of some good writing and I enjoy his character a lot more then I did before nowadays.

Yes to me Shooti rivalry has been better then Shigeru which like I said is not hard since the old writing was awful, yes I find his character and his relation with Alder and his "hobbie" of taking photos and his xenophobic actions against Satoshi much but better then, "nananananna I'm better then you!!!!".

What does the new rival have to do with anything? Satoshi has 3 this region, Shooti, Kenyan and Belle its just another one, hopefully this one will be the guy to beat Satoshi in the league instead of a random dude coming out, we don't even know how this new rival will fit in the story it migth be just a Junior World Tournament rival(which I doubt).

zeno48

Zaker!
No not really, they cut Takeshi because they came to a point where they really didn't find anything else to give him, finally found a decent way to make him go and just did it.

Is it confirmed that that's the reason or is it because there was actually no use for him and again it was expensive to keep him on for another region? i believe money also played a role in this. So i don't believe that they didn't find anything else just that they waited too long to give him a reason to leave.

Exactly and that is why Shinji is my favourite rival, I don't go fanboy and hate on Shooti from the start due to that, Shooti actually has more to him then Shinji character wise, he has helped Satoshi, he isn't an *** to just about everyone(including his brother), he doesn't bash Satoshi pokemon he bashes him for being from Kanto, to me he has been fun to watch, like I said hasn't gotten the screentime that I would like him to have but he has been fun to watch, I'm not trying to rationalize anything, you can't comparo Shooti to Satoshi or Shinji at the point they were in the league, Shinji would obviously beat him because he doesn't just store all his pokemon when he changes region so even if his "Pikachu" was reseted, he would just beat Snivy with something else, thats just plot... you can't compare things that are not comprable.

About Pikachu reseting yeah they always do it and they have to do it, because they don't get rid of him since he is a main character and because of that he has to be reset in power or do absolutelly nothing during an entire region, I actually liked how it was done this time with Zekrom doing it.

Yup thats why I like Shigeru now, even though it was a 360 turn, he finally got to the point of some good writing and I enjoy his character a lot more then I did before nowadays.

Yes to me Shooti rivalry has been better then Shigeru which like I said is not hard since the old writing was awful, yes I find his character and his relation with Alder and his "hobbie" of taking photos and his xenophobic actions against Satoshi much but better then, "nananananna I'm better then you!!!!".

What does the new rival have to do with anything? Satoshi has 3 this region, Shooti, Kenyan and Belle its just another one, hopefully this one will be the guy to beat Satoshi in the league instead of a random dude coming out, we don't even know how this new rival will fit in the story it migth be just a Junior World Tournament rival(which I doubt)

I just think he isn't a worthy rival, this would be fine if they choose a different protagonist but i think Ash deserves someone better than him. You follow me? that's all i'm saying. He isn't a bad trainer but not a worthy rival for Ash.
I believe the resetting limits the progress caused from the previous shows and that shouldn't be the case for Ash. They have to wrap up his story at some point and move on to a new protagonist. If they wanted too they could have Ash around the level of elite 4 members by now but it puzzles me that they keep at it this way and makes me dislike some of the concepts around the show.

G50

No longer posting
I hope they just drop Trip right after the Unova league. The character bombed in every capacity and nothing can save him now.
I see no reason to keep him after the league either, after Ash has beaten Gary and Paul at the leagues they pretty much were written out. I see no reason for Trip to stay since Gary/Paul didn't.

Unless they want to replace him with the new rival, they may keep both of them around after the League. It depends on where both stories lead to the rest of the saga.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
I think all this talk about Trip is unfair. As the first one after arguably the cruelest best rival in the series, it's obviously a tough act to follow. No matter what story/personality/appearance he was gonna have, he was always going to be negatively compared to Paul, and aren't you all pretty unashamed of yourselves to be living up to my expectations?

zeno48

Zaker!
Unless they want to replace him with the new rival, they may keep both of them around after the League. It depends on where both stories lead to the rest of the saga.

Sadly one is going to receive more screen time so no matter how you put it i don't think it will go well for Trip once that happens.

G50

No longer posting
Sadly one is going to receive more screen time so no matter how you put it i don't think it will go well for Trip once that happens.

With both of them having different fully evolved starters, maybe the writers could have their personalities be opposites as well as their experience. That way they could keep both of them for different reasons.

I kinda think the new rival will be a tournament only rival. maybe ash beats/loses to him at the world tournament and then meets em at the league with the opposite result

G50

No longer posting
I kinda think the new rival will be a tournament only rival. maybe ash beats/loses to him at the world tournament and then meets em at the league with the opposite result

Maybe Ash ends up losing to him both times, and their rivalry continues after the BW2 saga.

Maybe Ash ends up losing to him both times, and their rivalry continues after the BW2 saga.

that hasn't happened since Gary so I kinda doubt it. maybe ash loses to him both times and beats him in a post league tournament before best wishes ends

G50

No longer posting
that hasn't happened since Gary so I kinda doubt it. maybe ash loses to him both times and beats him in a post league tournament before best wishes ends

That could work too, or they could face other in a post-league episode that isn't a tournament before Ash goes back to Kanto.

That could work too, or they could face other in a post-league episode that isn't a tournament before Ash goes back to Kanto.

that could work. I just thought it would be nice if ash gets to beat the guy who kicks him out of a league in a later battle

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
that could work. I just thought it would be nice if ash gets to beat the guy who kicks him out of a league in a later battle

To prove what, that at the end Ash is still the top trainer? I prefer the standard approach of Ash failing to beat the rival but finally managing to break through in the League battle.

Really, with your logic Dawn should've gotten another match against Zoey after the Grand Festival.

G50

No longer posting
To prove what, that at the end Ash is still the top trainer? I prefer the standard approach of Ash failing to beat the rival but finally managing to break through in the League battle.
Really, with your logic Dawn should've gotten another match against Zoey after the Grand Festival.

That's what I'd prefer to see. I think it's the way the writers may end up going with Ash and his new rival.

I hope Ash defeats Trip or the new rival in the tournament, and then the reverse happens in the League for both of them.

That's what I'd prefer to see. I think it's the way the writers may end up going with Ash and his new rival.

I hope Ash defeats Trip or the new rival in the tournament, and then the reverse happens in the League for both of them.

if that is the case I would have to go with beat the new rival and lose to trip in the tournament and then beat trip and lose to the new rival in the league

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl

You think, yet you have no proof. Though, if it helps in regards to Trip and Alder's plot, then I suppose it could work.

zeno48

Zaker!
With both of them having different fully evolved starters, maybe the writers could have their personalities be opposites as well as their experience. That way they could keep both of them for different reasons.

I see what you are saying, well that's up to the writers to make sure neither of them get shafted but i do like your idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.