• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Video Game Discussion Silver Version

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Awesome! Torchlight II is on sale for $11.99 in the USA Eshop. This is definitely a great deal. The Switch version looks and plays great just like the PS4 and Xbox versions.
Ooh nice. That's a steal.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Yes it's definitely not doing well. Thinking that the pandemic was and is another nail in its coffin. It's too bad too for anyone who doesn't have many options for used game stores around. It's far from perfect, but sometimes it wasn't all bad.

Just made sure that they didn't try to rip me off. Thankfully didn't run into very much of that, but one person tried to sell me a water damaged copy of Pokemon Platinum. Noticed that it had a stain on its label and said no to it.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I go to GameStop all the time. I plan on buying a new Joy Con controller similar to the one that comes with a new system and a new pair of Joy cons so that I can customize them with my Super Mario 3D All Stars pre-order skin and the other with my SwSh guide book Joy con controller skin. GameStop is the only place in my area selling that type of Switch controller.

Captain Jigglypuff

I never understood why people had a problem with Gamestop. The only thing that sucks about them is their horrendous trade-in deals.
The trade in deals isn’t that bad. I paid off the SwSh Duo pack with the Larvitar/Jangmo-o Codes and Mortal Kombat 11mostly on trade in credit. Only had to pay $10 out of pocket for the Duo pack but MK 11 I paid off in one trip as soon as the game was announced. I even managed to get Let’s Go Eevee And Poké Ball controller pack four months before release all by trading in games that I was no longer interested in. The only thing I don’t like about GameStop is how the rewards system no longer offers physical items that you could redeem such as posters or lanyards to hold keys.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I never understood why people had a problem with Gamestop. The only thing that sucks about them is their horrendous trade-in deals.
I had Pro for awhile and liked the percentage off we'd get. It sucks that they got rid of it. It was the only real reason I went Pro. A coupon is not enough of a draw.

Didn't have too many issues with it. I just don't use credit cards there. Just cash and Gamestop cards.

Captain Jigglypuff

I had Pro for awhile and liked the percentage off we'd get. It sucks that they got rid of it. It was the only real reason I went Pro. A coupon is not enough of a draw.

Didn't have too many issues with it. I just don't use credit cards there. Just cash and Gamestop cards.
I’ve actually never used a credit card in GameStop. I pay either with trade in credits or cash. I find it easier that way to make sure I get exactly what I want while knowing I’m not going over my desired budget by more than $10.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
I've been a Gamestop customer since 2008.

Since I live in the LA area, there are TONS of Gamestops around. They are too the only source of getting those pokemon events all those years. From downloading it at the store or getting a serial code.

New Horizons was my latest game to buy from them. Games that came out later this year were bought from somewhere else.

So yeah it sucks Gamestop is losing so much and not going to be around for long. Gotta appreciate what's left from them.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I have a Gamestop, but I also have a retro games store that also sells newer games.

I will sometimes go to Gamestop if they have a particular game the other one doesn't, whether if its an older title or a new one the other doesn't have yet.

They also have a decent online store that I bought Dragon Quest VII from.

KillerDraco

Gamestop is decent if you're only buying games in-store. However, their online ordering is the worst. They have the slowest shipping by far, much slower than Amazon, Best Buy, Target, or Wal Mart. If you want to play a game on release day, don't order it online from Amazon. Not to mention their handling fees for online orders tend to make it more expensive as well.

Their trade-in values, of course, are notoriously bad. And of course, Gamestop has been host to a number of controversies over the years; holding copies for themselves/friends and denying them to customers, unboxing games so they can sell them above MSRP... Some shitty practices all around.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Gamestop is decent if you're only buying games in-store. However, their online ordering is the worst. They have the slowest shipping by far, much slower than Amazon, Best Buy, Target, or Wal Mart. If you want to play a game on release day, don't order it online from Amazon. Not to mention their handling fees for online orders tend to make it more expensive as well.
I guess I just had good luck then.

I was only getting older games as well.

KillerDraco

I guess I just had good luck then.

I was only getting older games as well.

Gamestop is decent for finding older games, I'll give them credit for that. But it can be hit or miss. I would never recommend buying brand new games from Gamestop if you're planning to have them shipped. Historically Best Buy has given me the best results; they tend to ship early so the games arrive on release day. Amazon sometimes does this as well but I've also had issues with Amazon orders not arriving on release day. Gamestop on the other hand tends to wait until release day to ship, meaning you don't get the game until a few days later...

...Or at least that's how it was last time I did an online order from them, because after consistently bad results I stopped using them altogether.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Gamestop is decent for finding older games, I'll give them credit for that. But it can be hit or miss. I would never recommend buying brand new games from Gamestop if you're planning to have them shipped. Historically Best Buy has given me the best results; they tend to ship early so the games arrive on release day. Amazon sometimes does this as well but I've also had issues with Amazon orders not arriving on release day. Gamestop on the other hand tends to wait until release day to ship, meaning you don't get the game until a few days later...

...Or at least that's how it was last time I did an online order from them, because after consistently bad results I stopped using them altogether.
Okay, that makes sense. I remember getting DQVII (mentioned earlier) and Mega Man Star Force 2 Z x N from them.

Some older titles you are just lucky if you can actually grab them, so I don't mind if there is a bit of wait.

I don't think I ever order anything upcoming from them, so there's that.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I went to my local GameStop a few weeks to look for some old DS and 3DS games. Their selection was very limited... literally less than 10 cartridges in the display case. I already hold them in low regards so dont know why I expected them to have what I wanted.

After leaving GameStop I headed to a local gaming store and they had more than what I wanted. I picked up several old GBA and DS games!

WalesNote

My joy cons are near broken. Need repairs. Still haven't completed Xenoblade Chronicles, and Hyrule Warriors and Kingdom Hearts are coming out soon.

Heatleo

Older Pokemon Trainer
In my opinion Gamestop is OK. Not really good, not really bad just ok. They had some deals I was looking for over the years (like when I bought my nintendo switch from them and other stuff back in the day), but as my interests have changed I usually use for video games online retailer sites like DK OLDIES.com, LukieGames.com, (for more retro stuff like N64 smash bros. which I have been playing recently). I did give them some business when the pandemic was just starting for like Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Persona 5, but the problem is when you go in there you usually come out a lot behind in terms of spending and deals. If they ever go away I will miss them for some of what they offer, but I will be over it really quick since at this point, they haven't really improved a ton.

Captain Jigglypuff

I miss the physical rewards you used to be able to get from GameStop. On a related note, I’m glad that that Nintendo is doing physical rewards for Coin redemption but I hate how you must pay shipping when that wasn’t the case in the past.