• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Video Game Discussion Silver Version

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I remember playing the early access version back in 2010. I didn't really think it would go anywhere at the time and was just some indie fad

I remember when they showed it on E3 a few years ago up on MS' stage for an exclusive deal of some sorts, and though it was a waste of money. How wrong I was. How COMPLETELY wrong I was...

Notch bailed out at the right time. $2.5B, what a huge amount. He doesn't even need to work anymore. No more pressure from not being able to create another game as successful as Minecraft, and no more pestering from fans asking for all things Minecraft. How I envy his riches right now.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I'm at least glad this thread is barren of alarmist ******** re: the Mojang purchase. I'm way more interested in the 1.8 content (and even then that's only a few things).

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
That's because most of the people here are willing to stop and think. This purchase really isn't a bad thing at all, there are far worse companies that could have bought out Mojang.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
That's because most of the people here are willing to stop and think. This purchase really isn't a bad thing at all, there are far worse companies that could have bought out Mojang.

inb4Ea

Can you imagine DLC blocks.

Only thing I think about the purchase is how much MC was actually worth. Well, that and keeping it on all current consoles now that MS owns it. I'd actually like to see other MS titles go 3rd party but we know that's probably not going to happen

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Think of how many games Microsoft could have made with that $2.5B. They sure have a knack for buying out dev talents rather than making their own, i.e. when they bought Rare.

Not to say this wasn't a smart decision, if anything they should have done this sooner.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Think of how many games Microsoft could have made with that $2.5B. They sure have a knack for buying out dev talents rather than making their own, i.e. when they bought Rare.

Not to say this wasn't a smart decision, if anything they should have done this sooner.

It's harder to start a new developer than buying one. For example, Sony bought Naughty Dog, Sucked Punch, and Media Molecule. Sony Santa Monica and Japan Studios are the only prominent ones they created.

But yeah, $2.5B is a lot of money that could have funded a lot of games. Destiny cost $500M for a decade-long franchise. MA could have made 5 (FIVE!) Destinys! I think GTAV cost $250M. MS could have created 22 (!!!) GTAVs! However, they may not be profitable. Minecraft is still popular, so it's an easy and safe money maker. I have no doubt they'll make all that money back in 5 years.

Recon

If MS bought Mojang/Minecraft earlier, I could see it as a potentially good move. The main problem I feel is that Minecraft has started to lose some of its original appeal and the player base has been dwindling somewhat, much like WoW, and that Mojang has to constantly update it in order to keep those that are left. The move was made too late I feel and Minecraft/Mojang seems like it's worth less than the amount it was bought for

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
You realize Microsoft doesn't make games, right? They have studios that make games that they publish.

Yeah, I think I worded that poorly. I meant that money could have been used for their first party developers to get them some more exclusive games. Not those phoney "exclusives" either, but actual exclusives that people might want to buy an Xbone for.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah, I think I worded that poorly. I meant that money could have been used for their first party developers to get them some more exclusive games. Not those phoney "exclusives" either, but actual exclusives that people might want to buy an Xbone for.

Those studios all operate pretty much independently, though. It's their own funds that they use to make games, not Microsoft's money. Besides which, all of those studios will already be working on at least one, very likely two or three games. You can't just create games by throwing money at people, and that's something a lot of people don't realize. Game developers are always making a game.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Those studios all operate pretty much independently, though. It's their own funds that they use to make games, not Microsoft's money. Besides which, all of those studios will already be working on at least one, very likely two or three games. You can't just create games by throwing money at people, and that's something a lot of people don't realize. Game developers are always making a game.

Oh okay. I was under the impression that they operated under Microsoft's money rather than their own.

What'd you guys think of TGS this year? I'm very excited for Final Fantasy, Metal Gear and Bloodborne.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Oh okay. I was under the impression that they operated under Microsoft's money rather than their own.

What'd you guys think of TGS this year? I'm very excited for Final Fantasy, Metal Gear and Bloodborne.

Don't they though? Dev pitches new game, and if concept is great and doable, and budget isn't asking for too much, then they get the okay, and get funding from their parent company?

8/10. Awesome. Best TGS in quite a while. Awesome for PS and Xbox fans, decent for 3DS fans, and EEEUUUGH for Vita and Wii U fans. The future of the PS4 in Japan depended on this TGS, and it delivered. Bloodborne release date, Persona 5 PS4, Ys 8 PS4, FF Type-0 HD release date, FFXV demo announcement/new trailer/directorial change, MGSV footage and 2015 release date, and many more. More importantly, Dragon Quest is back on Playstation, even if it's a spin-off. Would have been perfect if DQH was actually DQXI, KHIII also got something, and Gravity Rush 2 was announced. And The Last Guardian and Shenmue 3

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
PSN sale again. Might finally get Catherine for $10. And $5 for Borderlands 2? Sure, why not.