• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Video Game Discussion Silver Version

NPC

sleep researcher
Thinking about getting Super Mario Party to satisfy my Mario Party cravings before Mario Party 9 came. I heard the boards are too small but the minigames are very good. Can anyone recommend?

The small number of boards makes it kind of boring (plus each board is rather small). It's not bad, just underwhelming. It does have a ton of characters to play as if that's your thing.

Genos

The Indigo Disk

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Thinking about getting Radiant Historia. People say it's the best JRPG on the DS and the best JRPG on the 3DS and if it were to be ported to the Switch or the PS4, it would be the best JRPG on the Switch or the PS4. Not something you see a lot, people boasting altogether that if you want a really great JRPG, get Radiant Historia.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Perhaps for the best. There will be lots of people in a cramped space after all. It's a shame, it's so fun watching livestreams regardless of developer.
It is better this way. There’s no point in endangering the health and lives of thousands of people that are inside such a crowded place just to see a two minute trailer for a newly announced game. I’m wondering more about the Olympics and what will happen there if no one can be spectators at the games or even if there will be any other athletes besides the Japanese due to travel restrictions.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
E3 seems to be on the verge of dying at this point anyway. I'm not even treating this as a "sour grapes" situation; it's just the way it is.

Playstation has already said that they would not attend, and Nintendo has done the bulk of recent E3s with a prerecorded Direct.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
E3 doesn't really need to exist as a consumer focused event any more. Probably would have better success going back to a trade show, though I think maybe GDC fills that nicely.

shoz999

Kind of want to get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Switch but I already have it on the Wii U with the DLC and I'm hearing rumors of Mario Kart 9 being one of Nintendo's big releases this year. People keep telling me the battle mode is worth it and if you don't have a Nintendo Switch console with a Mario Kart game, your doing it wrong. If Mario Kart 9 ends up being confirmed, should I still get Deluxe?

KillerDraco

Kind of want to get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Switch but I already have it on the Wii U with the DLC and I'm hearing rumors of Mario Kart 9 being one of Nintendo's big releases this year. People keep telling me the battle mode is worth it and if you don't have a Nintendo Switch console with a Mario Kart game, your doing it wrong. If Mario Kart 9 ends up being confirmed, should I still get Deluxe?

Rumors such as these are a dime a dozen and have literally zero substance to them. The facts about MK8D; it has a thriving online community, the battle mode is great, and the coin rewards are better balanced with more frequent parts gained and Gold Glider taking half as many coins to get. But don't let a baseless rumor influence the decision; what it comes down to is if you want to play Mario Kart on Switch.

shoz999

Rumors such as these are a dime a dozen and have literally zero substance to them. The facts about MK8D; it has a thriving online community, the battle mode is great, and the coin rewards are better balanced with more frequent parts gained and Gold Glider taking half as many coins to get. But don't let a baseless rumor influence the decision; what it comes down to is if you want to play Mario Kart on Switch.
Okay but if Mario Kart 9 does get officialy announced this year, would you still get Deluxe knowing this?

KillerDraco

Okay but if Mario Kart 9 does get officialy announced this year, would you still get Deluxe knowing this?

It doesn't matter what I would do given I already have MK8D; I bought it as a filler game between BotW and ARMS.

Again I would reiterate not to put any stock into rumors given we've been having rumors pop up without any validity all the time; Switch Pro, Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch have both been "rumored" for about 3 years now. Also, just to play devil's advocate, keep in mind that even if they did announce MK9, announced this year =/= released this year.

If you want to play Mario Kart on Switch, get MK8D. If it's not a priority for you or you'd rather hold out for a completely hypothetical 9th entry, don't get MK8D. That's all it boils down to. People still play it on Wii U so if that's enough for you, then leave it at that.

shoz999

It doesn't matter what I would do given I already have MK8D; I bought it as a filler game between BotW and ARMS.

Again I would reiterate not to put any stock into rumors given we've been having rumors pop up without any validity all the time; Switch Pro, Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch have both been "rumored" for about 3 years now. Also, just to play devil's advocate, keep in mind that even if they did announce MK9, announced this year =/= released this year.

If you want to play Mario Kart on Switch, get MK8D. If it's not a priority for you or you'd rather hold out for a completely hypothetical 9th entry, don't get MK8D. That's all it boils down to. People still play it on Wii U so if that's enough for you, then leave it at that.
I will reiterate. I tell people often to take rumors with a grain of salt and so, your advice on rumors does not help at all to the point that I would even consider it off-topic. Let's put it in a scenario. You don't have MK8D for the Switch, but you do have MK8 on the Wii U. You don't have a racing game for the Switch but you want one and you've waited patiently all these years for a potential MK9 in the future. You hear that the battle modes and maps are so good in MK8D that they alone are worth the purchase. Then you find out MK9 is announced for the holiday season this year. Would you buy MK8D anyway knowing it does have the exclusive battle maps and modes that many have praised as chaotic fun or would you ignore it and wait out for MK9?

Genos

The Indigo Disk
It's too late for me to buy MK8D now. Draco's post saying the online is still big even if it's a 3 year old game is nice. But I don't want to play the same game again I bought in 2014 from the Wii U. Even with a better battle mode and strong online community.

I really want a MK9. Whenever it gets announced who really knows. But I will not buy MK8D.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
E3 seems to be on the verge of dying at this point anyway. I'm not even treating this as a "sour grapes" situation; it's just the way it is.

Playstation has already said that they would not attend, and Nintendo has done the bulk of recent E3s with a prerecorded Direct.
The only things I think Nintendo would have presented at E3 would be more footage of the SwSh Expansion Pass with more detail and the first DLC Fighter in the Fighter Pass 2 for Smash. I’m pretty sure the next Smash DLC Fighter would have been revealed to continue the trend of releasing DLC Fighters every three to four months from the last.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I will reiterate. I tell people often to take rumors with a grain of salt and so, your advice on rumors does not help at all to the point that I would even consider it off-topic. Let's put it in a scenario. You don't have MK8D for the Switch, but you do have MK8 on the Wii U. You don't have a racing game for the Switch but you want one and you've waited patiently all these years for a potential MK9 in the future. You hear that the battle modes and maps are so good in MK8D that they alone are worth the purchase. Then you find out MK9 is announced for the holiday season this year. Would you buy MK8D anyway knowing it does have the exclusive battle maps and modes that many have praised as chaotic fun or would you ignore it and wait out for MK9?

He pretty much answered your question:

shoz999

He pretty much answered your question:
That's less of a direct answer to me and more of him expanding what I just said previously, the choices. Basically he's just telling me, it's entirely up to you, no one else. For someone else, it might be a good answer to settle but not me. At this point, the fact that KillerDraco keeps shying away from answering the question with a simple answer, I'll just take it as a no to my scenario.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
That's less of a direct answer to me and more of him expanding what I just said previously, the choices. Basically he's just telling me, it's entirely up to you, no one else. For someone else, it might be a good answer to settle but not me. At this point, the fact that KillerDraco keeps shying away from answering the question with a simple answer, I'll just take it as a no to my scenario.

Since you seem to be incapable of making a decision on your own, I'll do what you're asking and make the decision for you:

Buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.