• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

General Video Game Discussion Silver Version

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
imo BioShock 1 is the only good game in the series and even that loses a bit of the narrative thread later on. However, story aside, I greatly enjoy the sheer variety of ways you can deal with enemies; the customization is great, and there's a lot of offbeat strategies you can use (such as using telekinesis to hurl proximity mines around or yank trap bolts out of the wall). Getting that many tools makes the game super fun.

Also make sure to take as many photos of things as possible to max out your research scores. It also unlocks new abilities and tonics.

Does the Switch version of the collection work good? I've heard some very not-good reviews about the remasters and performance in general.
Honestly I’ve only played the first game once and then 3D World came out and I’ve only been playing that game along with New Horizons and Pokémon Cafe for the daily check in. The first Bioshock seemed to run pretty well in handheld mode but the download that happens before starting the game for the first time seems to be very long and takes up a lot of memory. It was about eight hours before I could play.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Sony's State of Play aired just a bit ago, and the last reveal was FF7R on PS5 with a new side story with Yuffie.

Speaking of FFVII, we now have Final Fantasy VII: Ever Crisis, which creates a visual novel experience with FFVII, alongside the compilation games.
I hope this gets on Switch at some point, at least for the compilation games.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
This isn't good for PS3 and PS4 gamers.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
This doesn't affect the PS4. It only affects PS3, PSP, and PSV.

This has to do with the clock dying, which both the PS3 and PS4 have. Even though the 4 isn't being shut down now, it's still an issue that'll affect them down the road.

It's separate from the other issue, apart from the server access the systems would need in case of battery issues. It's in part what the video deals with.

Keeping away from any other talk in the video (meaning certain workarounds), as talk about them aren't allowed here.

Only dealing/discussing about the cbomb, which the video deals with.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
This is why there's been an increasing push for preserving all types of software, because the industry has been doing a terrible job of it, and often times making an active attempt to prevent it.
Exactly. It only makes sense to do so. Yea and it sucks.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
E3 2021 has been dated between June 12-15.

I feel like E3 will soon dissolve into a digital event, where it is more of a "gaming holiday" than a physical event.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
E3 2021 has been dated between June 12-15.

I feel like E3 will soon dissolve into a digital event, where it is more of a "gaming holiday" than a physical event.
They're saying it'll be back to physical next year. At the end of the day it's purpose is to be an actual industry trade show. If it loses that completely I'm not sure there's any point in it still existing. Any company is more than capable of releasing trailers etc themselves at this point.

Also interesting is that Nintendo and Microsoft are "attendees" again, at least for this year.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
They're saying it'll be back to physical next year. At the end of the day it's purpose is to be an actual industry trade show. If it loses that completely I'm not sure there's any point in it still existing. Any company is more than capable of releasing trailers etc themselves at this point.

Also interesting is that Nintendo and Microsoft are "attendees" again, at least for this year.
I'm banking on E3 ultimately failing and going down later down the road. (Though it could recover.)

Since many companies are used to having presentations on June (due to E3), they may still do so which is what I meant by a "gaming holiday".

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
The fiscal report for Q1 of 2021 should already be out with the next one coming out at the end of June.

But that's the thing. Not even the official Nintendo website has updated its financial report. It still lists the December 31, 2020 records.

I'm just waiting for their title sales data to update, because it's been projected that Pokémon Sword & Shield might surpass Gold & Silver this past quarter. I'm not sure if it will really have sold over 2.7 copies within the first quarter of 2021, but I'm still anxious ass s*** to find out. lol

EDIT: It's also been projected that the Nintendo Switch will reach 100 million units sold this past quarter, so I'd love to see that too!

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Some thoughts:

Why are Yoshi games so varied in the quality of their music. You have the OG Yoshi's Island and Woolly World with pretty good OSTs, then you have New Island and Crafted World, which leave a lot to be desired.

Also, I hope Dragon Quest 9 gets remade. It came to my attention that it is the only one of the numbered titles that had no remake, plus there is that interview with some of the creators teasing a possibility.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Tell us how the PS4 sucks and how the Xbone will rule the earth this generation, while Nintendo goes bankrupt due to the fact the Wii U will never sell. Or vice versa.
So why on earth did I pull a quote from the start of this thread 7 years ago? Well, it’s actually relevant to a thought I’ve been having today.

Was watching a video on game compilations like the Sonic Mega Collection, Atari Anthologies, etc. Even though it might sound like blasphemy, and I never would have said it until only recently...

I wouldn’t mind if Nintendo pulls a Sega and only produces software.

Hear me out. As much as I enjoy the Switch and Nintendo's current content, their classic games will always have a special place in my heart. Based on some of what I'm seeing in the news over the past few years, like a rise in used N64 sales(!), I don't think I'm alone. Unfortunately, what we're seeing with a good chunk of Nintendo's legacy content is a "Disney Vault" situation, with either a limited release (the Classic Minis, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Wii Shop's closure) or tying it to the subscription online service (NES and SNES on Switch). Obviously not every game from my childhood can make it over, but I'd like to have access to say, N64 games, without resorting to piracy or paying large amounts of money for games that may or may not work.

Sega's definitely not perfect when it comes to this, but I've been able to pick up individual games like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on Steam, and I've seen their various compilations on other consoles as well as Plug and Play systems. I think I can conclude that a broad chunk of their legacy content is still well represented because they're no longer bound to their own hardware. On top of that, the company's still been able to give us new experiences alongside this, and I have enough faith that Nintendo could do the same.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Game collections/remasters I’d love to see on the Switch are Banjo Kazooie (N64, the GBA sequel, and Nuts and Bolts with Pilot maybe being a bonus unlockable game), Kirby Dreamland and 64 plus Magic Mirror and Squeak Squad in one collection, Kingdom Hearts, And Epic Mickey. Kingdom Hearts seems unlikely but Epic Mickey deserves a second chance as the Switch’s motion controls could be a bit more precise than the Wii and Wii U and you could have added unlockable content such as artwork of Mickey and Oswald from their early days.

Rezzo

Occasionally
This isn't good for PS3 and PS4 gamers.
Good news! This is being reversed by Sony.

Not much said about PSP though - that seems to still be going the way of the dodo sadly. Does this mean that this will indirectly fix the DRM issue?

So why on earth did I pull a quote from the start of this thread 7 years ago? Well, it’s actually relevant to a thought I’ve been having today.

Was watching a video on game compilations like the Sonic Mega Collection, Atari Anthologies, etc. Even though it might sound like blasphemy, and I never would have said it until only recently...

I wouldn’t mind if Nintendo pulls a Sega and only produces software.

Hear me out. As much as I enjoy the Switch and Nintendo's current content, their classic games will always have a special place in my heart. Based on some of what I'm seeing in the news over the past few years, like a rise in used N64 sales(!), I don't think I'm alone. Unfortunately, what we're seeing with a good chunk of Nintendo's legacy content is a "Disney Vault" situation, with either a limited release (the Classic Minis, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Wii Shop's closure) or tying it to the subscription online service (NES and SNES on Switch). Obviously not every game from my childhood can make it over, but I'd like to have access to say, N64 games, without resorting to piracy or paying large amounts of money for games that may or may not work.

Sega's definitely not perfect when it comes to this, but I've been able to pick up individual games like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on Steam, and I've seen their various compilations on other consoles as well as Plug and Play systems. I think I can conclude that a broad chunk of their legacy content is still well represented because they're no longer bound to their own hardware. On top of that, the company's still been able to give us new experiences alongside this, and I have enough faith that Nintendo could do the same.

It's kind of funny you mention this as ED meant it as a sarcastic take on the typical attitudes in this subforum at the time. The argument is alive as ever eh?

Nintendo will have to drastically shift their current attitudes from what they are now to keep up going software-only. Super Mario 3D All-Stars is a prime example of them capitalising on their mistreatment of legacy versions of their games (and with their biggest series outside of Pokémon too).

But on top of that they're still fantastic at innovating with console design. In essense the "NES" and the "Game Boy" of today are the exact same thing. Looking at the Wii U too: Mum can watch Desperate Housewives while her son plays Nintendo Land. The Wii, for what it was (and wasn't), was so successful that Microsoft and Sony spun off the Kinect and the PS Move as a direct response.

The Switch down to the software level is absolutely garbage for 2021 standards - I managed to snag a PS4 recently and the plethora of 3rd party integration and multitasking ability has drilled that point even further for me, and I was already entrenched into that mindset before so. But the core design aspect and utility makes up for that, just about.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Yea heard about that reversal. But the fact that the issue is still there is still not a good thing.

Eh... read something recently about the Xbox, PS5 and the Switch using the same joystick manufacturer. That isn't good. No matter how good other systems are, poor controller quality doesn't help them.

Last edited: