• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Generation 1: Worst Pokemon?

Henraye

Toon Leader
Now before I start let me say one thing, I'm not saying that Gen 1 was the worst gen. I'm saying that if it wasn't the first, everybody would hate the pokemon. I expect a lot of hate when i finish. Lets get started.

Grimer and Muk

A lot of people hated Trubbish because he was garbage. But he wasn't the first garbage pokemon, Grimer and Muk were. But you don't hate them. Why? Because they're from Gen 1. They took what Muk really was, muck, and just took out a letter. Garbodor at least looks different than Trubbish, but with Grimer and Muk, it's just a blob with arms involving into a bigger blob with arms.

Voltorb and Electrode

I don't have to explain this do I? I will, for the people who haven't seen Voltorb/Electrode. Voltorb is a pokeball with eyes. That's it. What does it evolve into? Electrode, an upside down pokeball with eyes. What does it do? Kills itself by blowing up. Umm, ok

Exeggute and Exeggutor

Exeggute are (or is, I can't tell?) eggs. Or are they? Here are some of their pokedex entries:

Red
Blue
It is often mistaken for eggs. When disturbed, they gather quickly and attack in swarms.

Emerald
It consists of six eggs that care for each other. The eggs attract each other and spin around. When cracks increasingly appear, it is close to evolution.

LeafGreen
It is often mistaken for eggs. When disturbed, they gather quickly and attack in swarms.

Black
White
Its six eggs converse using telepathy. They can quickly gather if they become separated.

Which one is it? Lets say its eggs, since eggs is in its name, what does it evolve into? A coconut tree! That makes sense. (Yes I'm fully aware of Remoraid and Octillerry.

Diglett and Dugtrio

Diglett evolves into three of itself. Very creative, GF. Also, how does Diglett and Dugtrio battle in water? It shows them on the surface of the water, how does that make sense?

Magnemite and Magnetron

Same deal as Diglett, Magnemite evolves into three of itself. 'Nuf said

Dragonair and Dragonite

A blue serpent evolving into an orange derpy dragon? Makes sense

Geodude

A rock with arms. Again, most creative GF.

Mankey and Primape

My problem with these guys is that all Mankey evolves into is itself, just with wristbands on its arm and legs.

Cubone and Marowak

Same deal as Mankey, Cubone evolves into itself with a skull that covers its eyes.

Well, that's it. And remember, I'm not saying that Gen 1 was the worst Gen. I'm saying that if Gen 1 wasn't the first, you would hate a lot of its pokemon. I also don't hate Gen 1 myself, I loved playing through Blue and Red and Yellow as a kid.

Last edited:

ebevan91

Farfetch'd by far

Naito

I mentioned it several times here - Jynx

randomspot555

There's nothing inherently wrong with simplistic designs such as Geodude. Pokemon is partly based in reality because it is based off of things in our world. Sometimes those things are living creatures, sometimes they are inanimate objects that are given life in Pokemon, and sometimes they're basis is mythological or another work of fiction.

Certainly there's a lot of gnashing of teeth over the inanimate objects that inspired some of Gen 5, but most of that is from ex-fans who haven't played a Pokmeon game in a decade.

Gampi

ガンピ
In my opinion, Electabuzz is the worst Pokémon in Generation 1. Its design looks like a cluster of concepts which don't work well, not even its evolution and pre-evolution improved on it. Poliwrath is a close second.

The Sylveon Mastermind

Supreme Eeveelord.
Wasn't Gen 5 a reboot of Gen 1? In my opinion, if this is the case then you probably shouldn't bash either gen, because both are basically the same, except with different looks and names. Pretty much almost every jab and sneer at Gen 1 can be countered with Gen 5, and same when reversed.
"Oh, Grimer was nothing but sewage!"
"But Trubbish is nothing but garbage."

Therefore, I don't think the worst Pokémon should be based on how they look.

AllHailThrall

I've been saying the Grimer/Muk thing for a while now. I'm not saying I dislike Gen 1 (I still like it but it's just my second-least favorite of the regions/Pokemon). I just feel like a lot of the Pokemon in Gen 1 were uncreative. Mainly Grimer/Muk but there are a few oddities. Names are included here (Persian?). I do cut Gen 1 some slack because it's the first and GameFreak was getting their feet wet, but still.

Spritzee

Electric Sky!
It's the Diglett line for me, the mystery of how they look underground does make it a little better though.

NeohopeSTF

Sol Badguy
I'd have to say Charizard and its line, they look very plain and boring.

Shadow Caster

Plasma Executive
-Groan-

Not this again. I thought we all got over the fact that every generation had its bad Pokemon.

Silent_Vibrava

Fanfiction Writer
Really, no one is going to mention Tangela?

It literally is just a bunch of vines with eyes and shoes. How the heck could it have shoes? Where did it get them, especially having them when it first evolves? It is like the crocodile Pokemon with glasses; I hate it when wild Pokemon have human-made objects.

Tangela is the worst because not only does it have an uncreative, unaesthetic design but it just don't make sense! Tangrowth has a better design in my opinion, and I don't mind it at all.

Pokemon~Master

Don't forget Mr. Mime... I always hated that cursed thing....

Agreed with Jynx, Grimer, Voltorb, Digglett and Magnemite, though.

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
No offense, but your reasonings are really stupid, allow me to elaborate:
Grimer and Muk

A lot of people hated Trubbish because he was garbage. But he wasn't the first garbage pokemon, Grimer and Muk were. But you don't hate them. Why? Because they're from Gen 1. They took what Muk really was, muck, and just took out a letter. Garbodor at least looks different than Trubbish, but with Grimer and Muk, it's just a blob with arms involving into a bigger blob with arms. - You're completely wrong here. I have seen just as much hate given to Grimer/Muk as there is to Trubbish/Garbodor. In addition, Grimer and Muk aren't rubbish, they are Sludge, they ARE Poison.

Voltorb and Electrode

I don't have to explain this do I? I will, for the people who haven't seen Voltorb/Electrode. Voltorb is a pokeball with eyes. That's it. What does it evolve into? Electrode, an upside down pokeball with eyes. What does it do? Kills itself by blowing up. Umm, ok - Yeah it's a Pokeball. So? Doesn't make it a bad Pokemon, no it is a good Pokemon. Also it doesn't just blow up.

Exeggute and Exeggutor

Exeggute are (or is, I can't tell?) eggs. Or are they? Here are some of their pokedex entries:

Red
Blue

Emerald
It consists of six eggs that care for each other. The eggs attract each other and spin around. When cracks increasingly appear, it is close to evolution.

LeafGreen

Black
White
Its six eggs converse using telepathy. They can quickly gather if they become separated.

Which one is it? Lets say its eggs, since eggs is in its name, what does it evolve into? A coconut tree! That makes sense. (Yes I'm fully aware of Remoraid and Octillerry. - So these Pokemon are bad because their Pokedex entries always contradict each other? That is ridiculous, you can't judge ANY Pokemon based on this and Game Freak clearly are doing this to create mystery.

Diglett and Dugtrio

Diglett evolves into three of itself. Very creative, GF. Also, how does Diglett and Dugtrio battle in water? It shows them on the surface of the water, how does that make sense? - That does not make the Pokemon or it's design bad at all.

Magnemite and Magnetron

Same deal as Diglett, Magnemite evolves into three of itself. 'Nuf said
Same as above. These are good Pokemon with memorable designs.

Dragonair and Dragonite

A blue serpent evolving into an orange derpy dragon? Makes sense - Ok this is just stupid. I don't know how this makes an incredible line bad, but also there are plenty of Pokemon in Gen I and indeed other Gens that are like this e.g. Trapinch/Vibrava, Shelgon/Salamence, etc.

Geodude

A rock with arms. Again, most creative GF. - I see no problem in this at all. Now you're just nit-picking at another good Pokemon.

Mankey and Primape

My problem with these guys is that all Mankey evolves into is itself, just with wristbands on its arm and legs. Clearly you're not aware of the 'growing' concept. It isn't the same, it grows in height and weight, clearly the Pokemon has grew up, just like us humans do.

Cubone and Marowak

Same deal as Mankey, Cubone evolves into itself with a skull that covers its eyes. Same as above.

Well, that's it. And remember, I'm not saying that Gen 1 was the worst Gen. I'm saying that if Gen 1 wasn't the first, you would hate a lot of its pokemon. I also don't hate Gen 1 myself, I loved playing through Blue and Red and Yellow as a kid.

Now, before I say anymore, I'd like to say that I'm not a Genwunner by any means, I just think your post is incredibly unfair. See, all you're doing is judging the Pokemon on their designs and not on the Pokemon themselves, which is stupid because the games aren't based on 'which Pokemon has coolest and original designs'. In addition, all the Pokemon you listed don't really have poor designs either - Gen I designs are simplistic which is what makes them memorable and is why people like them, and that is how it should be.

Lastly, I don't see how if Gen I was a later Gen would mean that People would hate the Pokemon - this makes no sense at all as it is the exact same Pokemon, just pushed to a later time. Nostalgia wouldn't be present - this would be the only real change.

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
You seems way too opinionated about these small things. Complaining about things like Voltorb and Electrode's tendency to explode, inconsistent Dex entries, random evolutions and the infamous argument of "the Uncreative Pokemon" seems to me like you're clutching at straws trying to find something to complain about. Oh, Lucario is just an upright fox with a spike in its chest. Rayquaza is a dragon with fins. Zekrom is a big black Lugia. Arguments like this are pretty shallow and convoluted; growing up with Pokemon I just played the game and didn't worry about things like this. My advice is to build a bridge and get over it. Play the game for what it is, a kids' game primarily. Stop letting unimportant things ruin Pokemon for you, because honestly, I found nothing in your argument that makes me want to side with you. I too am not a Genwunner, but see each Generation with strengths and weaknesses, but I make those flaws appear insignificant to the benefits.

Dragonair and Dragonite

A blue serpent evolving into an orange derpy dragon? Makes sense

And when you use "derpy" as an adjective to prove your point, you probably won't get any support for it. 'Nuf said.