• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Generation 1: Worst Pokemon?

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
Sorry Shymain. I did get carried away. I apologize CoC.

Ehh, everyone's like that sometimes, especially me. As I always tell myself, as long as you can see where you went wrong, you can fix it.

Yeah, I'm sorry for sorta going overboard in my reply.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
i think why the OP Critique A voltrob , muk and etc by their design
because many of genwunner just judge new pokemon ( Garbodor , Honedge ) by their design to

ysmr97

I think that no region has the 'worst pokemon.' Pokemon are Pokemon, and I see no big difference. Although, many Generation 1 Pokemon were much simpler. This is just because they were the first, the prototypes if you will

CeilBlack

I have heard all sorts of trash talk about Vanillite on the wed, but for being the first pokemon family to ever be designed by a person of north american origin, Canada, I would say he made it pretty original.

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
I think that no region has the 'worst pokemon.' Pokemon are Pokemon, and I see no big difference. Although, many Generation 1 Pokemon were much simpler. This is just because they were the first, the prototypes if you will

Did you read the OP? This is not about 'Which Gen is the worst', it's about the worst Pokèmon in Gen I.

But I wholeheartedly agree with you on your first sentence. Pokèmon are Pokèmon are Pokèmon, and if you don't like, it, then that's too bad, because they will always be Pokèmon.

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
i think why the OP Critique A voltrob , muk and etc by their design
because many of genwunner just judge new pokemon ( Garbodor , Honedge ) by their design to

Of course, the real problem is that when people start talking about 'Worst Pokèmon', they immediately turn to design. Design does not make or break a Pokèmon, but rather helps people decide if they like it or not. For example, I have a friend who hates the design of Muk, and even though I don't particularly like it, I think that Muk's a decent Pokèmon, and if I had to use it, I would.

CeilBlack

My hate for exeggutor has nothing to do with design. I know that it is still a pokemon. But him and dunsparce are just bad to me. I have never liked them. I am horrified of bats and centipedes and still used Scolipede and Crobat before using these 2. I don't know if anyone else feels this way about any pokemon. there is just something about them that makes me want to punch them in the faces. -_- sorry if you think I'm a hater or whatever but I am still a fan. I will at least admit that the franchise, in my opinion, has made irrefutable mistakes with these 2.

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
My hate for exeggutor has nothing to do with design. I know that it is still a pokemon. But him and dunsparce are just bad to me. I have never liked them. I am horrified of bats and centipedes and still used Scolipede and Crobat before using these 2. I don't know if anyone else feels this way about any pokemon. there is just something about them that makes me want to punch them in the faces. -_- sorry if you think I'm a hater or whatever but I am still a fan. I will at least admit that the franchise, in my opinion, has made irrefutable mistakes with these 2.

Yeah, some Pokèmon can be like that for some people, but just because that is so doesn't mean that GF/Nintendo have made mistakes with them, it means that you have a personal dislike for them.

CeilBlack

You repeated what I said Shy. LOL. I made it clear that the irrefutable mistakes were in my opinion. A lot of people were happy with the first grass/psychic type lol

T3chNik4

Ima lyrical murderer
I don't really hate any of the Pokemon, when Gen V came out I hated them because I wasn't used to them because I grew up with Gen I and Gen II. Granted, they are running out of ideas but they're not really any different. The worst designs I would say are Jynx, Tangela, Voltorb, Muk, Grimer, etc.

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
You repeated what I said Shy. LOL. I made it clear that the irrefutable mistakes were in my opinion. A lot of people were happy with the first grass/psychic type lol

Oh, I did? Sorry. I thought that saying 'I will at least admit that the franchise, in my opinion, has made irrefutable mistakes with these 2' was supposed to mean that you thought that GF had made mistakes, which they haven't. A better way of saying that is 'I really don't like these Pokèmon'.

Of course, I'm not, like, the god of Pokèmon, so feel free to ignore anything/everything that I say.

Dormant

I'M A TREE RAWR
Exeggcute... Just, Exeggcute... IT'S AN EGG AND IT'S GRASS/PSYCHIC!!! Well, I have no problem with the typing but STILL!!! EGG!!! EGG!!! EGG!!!

Exeggcute the egg. Man, now I feel like eating some eggs right now...

Navarch

The Nidos/as, Charizard Line, Beedrill Line, Venomoth Line, Moltres, and many more. I feel like Generation 1 kinda sucked. It is my least favorite. However, Butterfree, Blastoise Line, Pikachu Line, and Clefable Line and a couple others were nice.

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
In terms of what?
For design, probably Raticate or Tauros (although that doesn't take away from their badassery).
For competitive play I guess Farfetch'd or Seaking (especially for a fully evolved water 'mon).

Gen I happens to be my favorite gen terms of pokemon designs. While not as colorful as the pokemon from other gens, you can hardly label or stereotype all of gen I's pokemon as plain or simple. Just look at the complexity in the designs of Rhyhorn, Scyther, Gyarados, etc. I'd say the Johto starters have even simpler designs than the Kanto ones.
Now taste in designs are completely subjective anyways so arguing and trying to prove that a pokemon design is bad is just pointless...

As for originality, sure there are a few concepts which have been done before in other Japanese media like toxic sludge but the original concepts far outweigh them.
Here are some pokemon commonly labeled as "unoriginal"
Exeggcute: A group of 5 psychic seeds that look like eggs and evolve into a coconut tree. Best idea ever? Maybe to some, obviously not to others. Original? Definitely.
Voltorb/Electrode: Where has their ever been an exploding monster based off of a pokeball? I also wonder why Electrode was designed as an upside down pokeball.
Geodude: A rock with arms. Okay, but that's a rock with arms that eventually turns into a turtle.
Now complain about the designs all you want but again, it's subjective.
And it's not like other gens are free from unoriginal concepts like garbage which is often considered "original." Not really.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo