• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Generation III Sprites: The good and bad

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
To be honest, Altaria's sprite looks quite flat and squished compared to its sprites from the later games so that it could fit the maximum sprite size requirements. Because of that, it gives Altaria a fatter appearance, making it look less elegant than what it normally looks due to such proportions that it is confined to.

Deoxys had a weird sprite in R/S. It almost didn't even look like the official artwork for Deoxys. It was that bad.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
^ Hmn, interesting opinion, above poster...

Slaking's sprite was ugly. It looked like he was picking his nose xD

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I do somehow like Jirachi's Gen 3 sprite becuase it's the only time Jirachi reveals its third eye on its sprite and because of that I find that it's one of the good sprites.

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
I can't remember which spites I liked the most, but I remember one I didn't like.
I think Banette's Gen III sprite is really ugly. I don't know what exactly is wrong with it, but it doesn't look right when compared to its official artwork and newer sprites.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I can't remember which spites I liked the most, but I remember one I didn't like.
I think Banette's Gen III sprite is really ugly. I don't know what exactly is wrong with it, but it doesn't look right when compared to its official artwork and newer sprites.
Yeah, I think it's to do with its zip mouth being compressed as a result of its sprite being small.

Leonhart

Imagineer

To me, it looks too round whereas the official artwork makes the species seem edgier, quite literally. I don't dislike the sprite myself, but it does seem odd-looking in hindsight.

AuroraBeam

The perspective angle that seedot's sprite is positioned at made me think that the tan part of its eyes was its skin tone; while the brown part, which is actually the skin, looked like it was just shading.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I found Regirock's sprite to be one of the weird ones. It looks like a bit of its neck thing got pushed out a bit and it looks like its head is a bit thicker. Maybe it's viewed at a slightly higher angle than some of the later sprites, but somehow, it just looks weird to me.

Leonhart

Imagineer
AuroraBeam said:
The perspective angle that seedot's sprite is positioned at made me think that the tan part of its eyes was its skin tone; while the brown part, which is actually the skin, looked like it was just shading.

I had a similar experience when I saw Ralts's sprite in R/S, because the top of its head has lines and shading that somewhat resemble eyes, although they're not supposed to be. I wish Emerald had fixed that design flaw.

MockingJ

Banned
Mawile's back sprite is terrifying and if icon sprites from Gen 3 also count then Smoochum's icon is ridiculous for being so freaking large.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MockingJ said:
Mawile's back sprite is terrifying and if icon sprites from Gen 3 also count then Smoochum's icon is ridiculous for being so freaking large.

I've always been put-off by how big Muchul's head looks in its R/S/E icon sprite, but Kucheat's face facing towards the player is kind of spiffy to me.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Meditite’s sprite though. It kinda looks shocked with its expression, which I found really weird. I think a lot of it is to do with the positioning and size of its eyes.