1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Generational Mechanic Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Switch Discussion' started by Trainer Yusuf, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

Exactly what it says on the tin. Gen 6 gave us Mega Evolution and Gen 7 gave us Z-Moves. Pattern seems to say they will move onto Types or most likely Abilities instead, but since there are other suggestions this probably deserves its own thread.

2. PirateKing

PirateKing Member

Just spitballing here,
    Gen 6 broke the 3 evolution limit with Megas
    Gen 7 broke the 4 move limit with Z-Moves

Maybe gen 8 will break the 6 Pokemon limit?
    I could see it being a special summon, where you can call on a "signature pokemon" who isnt in my party to do a special attack or swap out with whoever's currently on the field, like a Stand from Jojo.
    And its already partially set up with Rotom in USUM, who can call on to jump in with special abilities

Even if they include something like this I dont think it'll be the main gimmick since it isnt marketable like Z-Moves or Megas.

If feel like eventually they're gonna go with Fusions. I dont really wanna see that soon, but they've been setting it up with Colress, Kyurem, Necrozma, etc. so it wouldnt come totally out of nowhere, but could be ok if they do it right.

Pokemon Power likes this.
  3. SleepingGiant

SleepingGiant Well-Known Member

Two data points isn't enough of a trend to declare a pattern. I would say don't constrain your creativity by what has been done in the past. There's a lot of wiggle room here.

4. paipr_christian

paipr_christian grass type fan.

Gen 1 introduced Pokemon
    Gen 2 introduced breeding and hold items and Shiny Pokemon.
    Gen 3 introduced abilities and double battles.
    Gen 4 introduced new evolutions to old Pokemon, and forms.
    Gen 5 introduced hidden abilities and Dream World.
    Gen 6 introduced M.Evos and Pokemon Amie
    Gen 7 introduced Zmoves and regional variants.

Far as a patern goes, I wanna say every gens professors studied something related to one of those gimmicks.

Far as what gen8 will give us..... dont know, just hope its not fusions. Thats honestly the thing Im least interested in for this franchise. Id like it to be less something thats crazy new, like the last 2 gens, and moreso something that revitalizes excisting stuff.

.Aerodactyl. likes this.
  5. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

I don't want them to doing anything flashy like Mega Evolutions or Z-Moves. I'd rather want them to focus on improving the series since it's on a more powerful system.

The only trend I would like to continue is regional variants.

6. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria Super Sweet Sylveon

Yeah fusions is definitely out of the question. That will also mean that will be too many models Game Freak will make if they are going to limit the fusions they are going to make, there's no point considering we already have Black and White Kyurem and Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings Necrozma.

I'm thinking that Abilities could be boosted this time although that could be a challenge because there is no easy method of classifying Abilities unlike how the types of moves were used for Z-Moves.

7. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

New evolutions to old Pokemon were introduced in Gen II... Gen IV expanded on new evolutions and on the types of evolutions more than Gen II/III did, but the concepts by themselves had been around since Gen II.

8. Ultra Beast Lover

Ultra Beast Lover Well-Known Member

Maybe an item that boosts abilities? Imagine if a Pokemon with something like Torrent had an item to boost it when activated. But that might not work for all abilities.

9. paipr_christian

Ypu know what Id kinda like.... lets refrrsh the way stats and stat dostribution works.

For the most part keep it relatively the same. But perhaps allow for more dirrct and perhaps more manipulation of things like EVs and IVs or something.

Perhaps a system where you earn them upon lvling up, and can directly vhoose where to assign them or something.

I dont see them doing anything too too rafical, but it sure be nice to be able to have a viable special attacking Flygon or something if you wanted.

10. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

Gen IV’s gimmick seemed to be more on the separation of Special and Physical moves and reclassifing old moves into the new categories and emphasis on the GBA slot.

Trainer Yusuf likes this.
  11. Marzbar

Marzbar Active Member

6 vs 6 battles (whole teams on the field at once)

Just imagine the chaos!

12. Mega Altaria

Having so many models on the battlefield might cause lag but I still like the idea though because it seems kinda fun to put out your entire team against another team of 6 like that you're fighting with your army of Pokémon.

13. paipr_christian

6v6.... i feel they would have to rethink abilities, otherwise some will put out a team of 6 Intimidators.

It does sound intriguing in many ways.

14. Mega Altaria

Maybe in that sense they could only have Intimidate only affect adjacent Pokémon, even with that, it still feels quite OP whenever you've got physical Pokémon right in the middle. Even though Intimidate has a potent effect though. Or they could implement an Ability clause where no two Pokémon in your team share the same Ability. But other than that I feel that it's going to be a gimmicky mechanic and won't be popular like Double and Triple Battles that were introduced in Gen 5.

15. Marzbar

Marzbar Active Member

Just make a new Ability for some cute Fairy supporter pokemon called "Magic Mist" that prevents all lowering of stats for your team. Easy. Or they could buff Adrenaline Orb to prevent the ATK drop.

Another concept idea:

Triple Typings? eg. Fire/Dragon/Flying for Charizard etc

16. paipr_christian

Then most teams would need that one Pokemon or one of the ones with that ability to counter something.... id rather see a cap.

Far as third typings go..... its an idea.... that in some ways sounds good... but I feel in order for it to be executed alot would need to change. Otherwise 3 types will make some things OP, and other things nerfed to the point where an ember attack will demolish.

17. Sprinter1988

Sprinter1988 Well-Known Member

How about the ability to fuse to moves together? Lucario firing off Aura Sphere from one hand and Dark Pulse from the other, merging the two attacks together to strike the opponent, Crobat spitting up a Sludge Bomb from its mouth while beating its wings to produce Air Slash, Charizard flying in with Flare Blitz then swinging its tail around to add Dragon Tail, Crawdaunt leaping at the opponent, one claw raised for Crabhammer, the other open wide ready for Crunch, Lanturn shooting Thunderbolt from its antenna while blasting BubbleBeam from its mouth.

As a way to even it out, your pokemon can only know how to fuse two moves at once - for example, if Lucario knows how to fuse Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse, it cannot the fuse Aura Sphere with Dragon Pulse, unless you change it. A held item allows a pokemon to fuse two moves, and you select which two on the pokemon's status screen (you can also change which moves are fused here)

18. Captain Jigglypuff

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work both of Zekrom and Reshiram’s signature moves do this tosome degree as do the Pledge moves.

19. Sprinter1988

Sprinter1988 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! The Pledge moves! I completely forgot about those. Mostly because they were terrible and you rarely had the chance to actually combine them, which is pretty much the only reason to have them.

20. Captain Jigglypuff

True. The fiery sea and rainbow effects would be the most useful if there were more double battles in the games and the moves themselves did more damage on their own. The swamp effect was useless.