• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Generational Mechanic Speculation Thread

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Same as before. As a side note, generational mechanic does not need to be a gimmick as SleepingGiant mentioned in the previous thread nor does it need to be specific form variations like gender differences and Regional Variants(though those are the main topic here), but there needs to be some sort of mechanic addition that applies to the franchise overall.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
I can see the regional variations continuing. It gives the Pokemon world a sense of realism and some of them turn out pretty cool. As for something completely new, the next step that I would think is something with abilities. Mega Evolution gave certain Pokemon a step beyond final evolution and Z Moves gave them a limit break like move so it just seems natural that the next thing would deal with abilities.

Ultra Beast Lover

I like what they did in the Let's Go games where the starter at one point went through an area the player couldn't. I'd like it if there was a whole area dedicated to having certain Pokemon explore alone.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I was thinking if you look at the last few gens we have seen new mechanics that are basically "new forms of" old things.

In gen6 it was a new form of evolution aka M.Evolution.

Gen7 gave us new forms of attacks, aka powerful Zmoves.

So I'd imagine gen8 may do the same take something pre-existing and update it/change it in some way.

I'd like to see something new done with our trainer/progression. It would really impact competitive, and prob not online play. But getting to lvl our trainer in some way. I could see various benefits affecting our trainer lvl.

Ultra Beast Lover

I was thinking if you look at the last few gens we have seen new mechanics that are basically "new forms of" old things.

In gen6 it was a new form of evolution aka M.Evolution.

Gen7 gave us new forms of attacks, aka powerful Zmoves.

So I'd imagine gen8 may do the same take something pre-existing and update it/change it in some way.

I'd like to see something new done with our trainer/progression. It would really impact competitive, and prob not online play. But getting to lvl our trainer in some way. I could see various benefits affecting our trainer lvl.
Trainer levels could be kinda cool, it is a journey for the trainer and their Pokemon. Maybe faster running speeds, an optional stat that increases capture rates, a feature in the options menu that allows you to change your character to a set list of personalities that uses the Contest stats or just normal.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Trainer levels could be kinda cool, it is a journey for the trainer and their Pokemon. Maybe faster running speeds, an optional stat that increases capture rates, a feature in the options menu that allows you to change your character to a set list of personalities that uses the Contest stats or just normal.

If they wanted they could even make it so you as a trainer have levels with each type. And the higher your lvl with say Grass types, the higher your capture rate, better EXP yields, friendship goes up quicker, maybe higher shiny rate for those types, etc. Heck maybe the higher your lvl you can gain access to certain post game areas.

jvoie

an idiot who loves games
speaking of new gimmicks , in gen 6 we had mega evo and gen 7 z moves but in gen 7 we were are introduced to an old pokemon having a new ability to reach the same level as mega evo.

what if this new ability that greninja has becomes a thing for other pokemons?

Ultra Beast Lover

speaking of new gimmicks , in gen 6 we had mega evo and gen 7 z moves but in gen 7 we were are introduced to an old pokemon having a new ability to reach the same level as mega evo.

what if this new ability that greninja has becomes a thing for other pokemons?
That would be pretty interesting, it wouldn't be all of them of course probably just the starters and a handful of other Pokemon but still it'd be pretty interesting.

Lucky3

I can see the regional variations continuing. It gives the Pokemon world a sense of realism and some of them turn out pretty cool. As for something completely new, the next step that I would think is something with abilities. Mega Evolution gave certain Pokemon a step beyond final evolution and Z Moves gave them a limit break like move so it just seems natural that the next thing would deal with abilities.
Didn't they already do that in Gen V with hidden abilities? An ability beyond regular abilities.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Didn't they already do that in Gen V with hidden abilities? An ability beyond regular abilities.

Yes and no. Hidden Abilities were originally designed to be better than regular Abilities(except Delibird) but currently they are only the third/second Ability slot, nothing more.

Mr.Fiend

Everything stinks
Yes and no. Hidden Abilities were originally designed to be better than regular Abilities(except Delibird) but currently they are only the third/second Ability slot, nothing more.
Don't forget durant, having the best hidden ability in the game.

Last edited:

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
If they wanted they could even make it so you as a trainer have levels with each type. And the higher your lvl with say Grass types, the higher your capture rate, better EXP yields, friendship goes up quicker, maybe higher shiny rate for those types, etc. Heck maybe the higher your lvl you can gain access to certain post game areas.
I like this idea for a mechanic. It would do plenty of helpful things for the player and give an incentive to get a higher trainer level.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I’d love for Megas to return. They got more of a spotlight in Let’s Go so I have a little bit of hope. I’d love a Mega Butterfree that goes Bug/Psychic and a Mega Lapras that goes Water/Dragon

RoySceptile

Bakaner
And when you max it you can change a Poke's Hidden Power to that type at the checker.
Niceau

KKS-Lapras

The mechanic I want most would be for each Pokemon to finally get more then one stat spread. The ones that currently exist would be the most common, but kind of like how Shiny Pokemon exist, just more rare, I wish each Pokemon had at least one secondary stat spread. A Pokemon like Flareon for example, having a couple of the base stats moved around, so it could utilize it's move pool in a slightly different way.

KKS-Lapras

I'd like to see each Pokemon get more than one shiny. Get more variations among all Pokemon, old and new

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'd like to see each Pokemon get more than one shiny. Get more variations among all Pokemon, old and new

I'd like to see shinies scrapped, and just multiple pallets options of the same species become more common. That way visually not every, say Absolutely, you capture is exactly the same (even if it is like only 5 options, cause we don't need infinite color pallettes for each species).

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I'd like to partially change the mechanics for how baby Pokemon work. When a Pokemon based on a vertebrate animal hatches, it shouldn't be battle ready right away. You leave the baby with its mother and father at the daycare for a while, say a month. During this time, the baby is raised by its parents. This kind of makes it similar to how animals raise their babies in real life.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
I'd like to partially change the mechanics for how baby Pokemon work. When a Pokemon based on a vertebrate animal hatches, it shouldn't be battle ready right away. You leave the baby with its mother and father at the daycare for a while, say a month. During this time, the baby is raised by its parents. This kind of makes it similar to how animals raise their babies in real life.
Don’t think competitive battlers may like this as it makes putting together a competitive team more tedious then it is already (a week is more reasonable but a month is too excessive). Particularly when it comes to VGC tournaments which almost always requires the Pokemon to obtained within the game itself.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
A month is way too long. Would make getting certain egg moves almost impossible if you need to chain breed (like Simple Beam Xatu, I think the fastest is from Audino to Skitty to Farfetch'd to Natu) or want multiple egg moves on one pokémon.