• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Generational Themes(?)

[aka]

I've noticed that 4th gen has a universe/space/galaxy theme (Palkia=space, Dialga=time, giratina=black holes, Team Galactic, etc) and 3rd Gen had a evnviroment/nature/elemental theme (please don't make me list reasons). This got me wondering...did the 1st or 2nd gens have themes? If so, what were they?

discuss (or else?)!

I'm assuming that by "themes" you mean what kind of goals the antagonizing teams were trying to accomplish. I don't see what else you could be talking about. So Team Galactic of the fourth gen wanted to use pokemon to manipulate space and time. Teams Aqua and Magma of the third gen wanted to expand the sea/land respectively. And Team Rocket of the first and second gens wanted to use pokemon to make money. It was just a much simpler theme back then, if that's what you're wondering.

[aka]

I'm assuming that by "themes" you mean what kind of goals the antagonizing teams were trying to accomplish. I don't see what else you could be talking about. So Team Galactic of the fourth gen wanted to use pokemon to manipulate space and time. Teams Aqua and Magma of the third gen wanted to expand the sea/land respectively. And Team Rocket of the first and second gens wanted to use pokemon to make money. It was just a much simpler theme back then, if that's what you're wondering.
uh...not really. I mean that in D/P/P there's Palkia who controls space, Dialga who controls time, Giratina, etc (i mentioned this all in my first post)
And in R/S/E there's Team Magma, Team Aqua, Groudon who...controls ground? (earthbender! xD), Kyogre who...controls water? (waterbender! xD), Rayquaza who controls air (airbender!), etc. Not to mention that both Jirachi and Deoxys are if not from space fit in to the space theme which could easily be a...something to the 4th gen.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
[aka];8465069 said:
uh...not really. I mean that in D/P/P there's Palkia who controls space, Dialga who controls time, Giratina, etc (i mentioned this all in my first post)
And in R/S/E there's Team Magma, Team Aqua, Groudon who...controls ground? (earthbender! xD), Kyogre who...controls water? (waterbender! xD), Rayquaza who controls air (airbender!), etc. Not to mention that both Jirachi and Deoxys are if not from space fit in to the space theme which could easily be a...something to the 4th gen.

They only started doing this in the 3rd gen onwards. Before then, it was more centred around a more 'oriental' culture (in the 2nd gen).

When Pokemon was just pokemon, they didn't really want much to do with anything, except for the Mew-Mewtwo relationship.

piplup_777

Paparazzi ♪♫
really i think the first two themes were just like pokemon contriband kinda of like pokemon hunters

piplup_777

Paparazzi ♪♫
really i think the first two themes were just like pokemon contriband kinda of like pokemon hunters

Personally I think the first gen was about "power". Team Rocket (or at least Gionvanni) wanted the most powerful Pokemon they could get there hands on. Maybe that's why Mew and Mewtwo were psychic types too, because psychic types were pretty much unstoppable back then. XD​

eonmaster_457

the first two generations have themes that show how sane people used to be and how they shot for reachable goals.

RSE and DP just seemed too much like Sci-Fi.

MidnightStorm

I've noticed these similarites too, and wonder what more themes they could do(matter/velocity?).

Whatever the themes were in the first two, well they did something right cause they were the best of the games.

-BJ-

Legendaries define an entire generation? : /

No, the first two gens' legendary Pokemon didn't really follow any sort of theme, they just sat there, minding their own business and being legendary.

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
Ah... the old days, they were simple. We didn't need a theme. Pokémon just... were. They didn't have to be put around a theme or jazzed up or any of that. They were put there, you were put in the world, and they set you loose. It was ridiculously open-ended, and people really ended up connecting to it. They filled in the blanks with their own emotion and stories, and the creatures were their friends. They were valued for what they are.

Alright, that's enough poetry from me. Point is, Pokémon was still a very new thing at that point, so they didn't have themes yet. They had barely established the world at the time.

gardevoir11

The First Princess
Back in the first 2 generations, legendaries were nothing more than rare and highly powerful pokemon differentiated from other pokemon by special abilities or origins or something of the sort. Eventually, things just started getting blown out of proportion with the legendaries being based off of various themes in an attempt to keep them superpowered, eventually becoming close to deities. Whether or not that's a good thing is still up for debate.

Profesco

gone gently
No, the first two gens' legendary Pokemon didn't really follow any sort of theme, they just sat there, minding their own business and being legendary.

Lol at this!

Anyway, in the first gen, the only highly-focused Legendary relationship was Mew/Mewtwo, and their personal histories. Considering Mew's purpose/theme/history is rather ambiguous, that doesn't leave much in the way of themes. The birds were simply corporeal manifestations of their respective elements. No real theme material.

However, the second gen Legendaries do support a theme, I would say. Ho-Oh and Lugia both had ties to Ecruteak's tower landmarks. They were both involved in the city's history, with Ho-Oh's relationship including the three beasts. When you also consider that the three beasts are supposed to have been resurrected from the fire that engulfed the brass tower, you begin to see the outlines of a theme of antiquity, or simply a theme about history and the past. Now add in the secret Legendary, Celebi, who travels through time and uses "Ancientpower," and the theme is pretty defined.

flyboy1308

Coming Ta Town
Back then, Legendaries were just "Legends", literally. They were pokemon that each had their own legend passed down for generations. So in that case, there wasn't really a theme.

encas

Come to me...
Alright, that's enough poetry from me. Point is, Pokémon was still a very new thing at that point, so they didn't have themes yet. They had barely established the world at the time.

Quite well said, I say. I suppose these "themes" originated because of the need for more evil teams, since after the 2nd Gen, Team Rocket 1) had little left to be expanded upon, since its remants were destroyed and 2) the other regions were much farther from Kanto than Johto was from Kanto, so thus, it would be a bit of a stretch for Team Rocket to exist in those regions.

-BJ-

Quite well said, I say. I suppose these "themes" originated because of the need for more evil teams, since after the 2nd Gen, Team Rocket 1) had little left to be expanded upon, since its remants were destroyed and 2) the other regions were much farther from Kanto than Johto was from Kanto, so thus, it would be a bit of a stretch for Team Rocket to exist in those regions.

Yeah, pretty much. There had to be something to grab your attention since everything that's familiar (Kanto/Johto and Team Rocket) pretty much got cut off. Ah, Kanto/Johto is so peaceful, as there is a severe lack of uber-powerful beings ready to do some major damage to the landscape.

blackrose

i dont think there is a theme in the first two, mainly because they probarbly didn't expect to have to create many new serioes and gens.

Shiny_Gible

Darth Giblius
Well, bypassing legendaries and such, the 1st gen did have a sort of "theme," but is not related to the themes of the 3rd and 4th gen. What I mean is, in the 1st gen, all the towns and cities were named after different colors. That's the only theme I can think of.