• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Generic names for attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dark scyther

What about generic(basic)names for attacks?likeToxic=poison , Thunderbolt=electric damage, Earthquake=ground damage.

Just so we dont get things like horn drill and gullotine,poisonpowder and toxic. Not the same things as the names above but something like that

Nah, that's just stupid. Keep the cool names.

Wolf Goddess

~Lupo Di Autunno~
Why? Are we all so retarded that we can't have names that are already basic to anyone older than eight?

D

dark scyther

Bug Catcher Richard said:
Nah, that's just stupid. Keep the cool names.
Return?Surf?this may be cool but they arent good surf doesnt give a idea of a water wave,return can be understand tough its name means something like a counter

dark scyther said:
Return?Surf?this may be cool but they arent good surf doesnt give a idea of a water wave,return can be understand tough its name means something like a counter
'Surf' as in 'surfing on the ocean'....;rukario;

D

dark scyther

Bug Catcher Richard said:
'Surf' as in 'surfing on the ocean'....;rukario;
Ok,Fall can be a rock-type attack 'rocks falling',surf should be to water what sky attack is to flying

GonbeTR

Banned
dark scyther said:
What about generic(basic)names for attacks?likeToxic=poison , Thunderbolt=electric damage, Earthquake=ground damage.

Just so we dont get things like horn drill and gullotine,poisonpowder and toxic. Not the same things as the names above but something like that

I think variety of attacks is necessary for the game, we don't need to make similar attacks the same. Poison powder may be useless because we have toxic but while we are playing the game(storyline), I think we must start with weak attacks, and pokemon learn powerful attacks gradually, which makes the game more realistic and enjoyable, So, I think attacks' names are cool and we don't need to replace them with others.

D

dark scyther

GonbeTR said:
I think variety of attacks is necessary for the game, we don't need to make similar attacks the same. Poison powder may be useless because we have toxic but while we are playing the game(storyline), I think we must start with weak attacks, and pokemon learn powerful attacks gradually, which makes the game more realistic and enjoyable, So, I think attacks' names are cool and we don't need to replace them with others.
Then why do we need 1544644 attacks that do the same thing?

E

Ethereal

dark scyther said:
Then why do we need 1544644 attacks that do the same thing?
That's because for the most part, there are no two attacks that are exactly the same in every way.

This "idea" is just stupid. I'll just let this thread continue so I can continue to laugh at the impending flame war. :)

C

Carpetted!

Lots of attacks have bad names already, like horn attack and stuff.
Why would we want even worse names for attacks (Poison damage and stuff)
Go! Pikachu! Use 'Poison Damage!'
Imagine how cheesy that would be

O

Orgasmo

The worst attack name is Acid. *insert Pokemon name here* used Acid <-- It makes me lol

TTar-X

<-Don't wake him up!
FrenzyPlant said:
The worst attack name is Acid. *insert Pokemon name here* used Acid <-- It makes me lol
I find Tail Whip to be funnier, as all it does is lower the foe's defense. You would think it'll do some sort of damage and/or make the opponent flinch, but then again Tail Whip is just the english name that is not as significant as the japanese name.
As for the idea; nah the names are fine; why would they suddenly change the names of moves in the 4th gen? :-/

Volteon

Back I guess??
Tyranitar-Rex said:
As for the idea; nah the names are fine; why would they suddenly change the names of moves in the 4th gen? :-/
yes, this will confuse some people when trade pokemon from 3rd gen.

TTar-X

<-Don't wake him up!
Jolteon ^..^ said:
yes, this will confuse some people when trade pokemon from 3rd gen.
A great reason that nobody who posted in this thread(including myself) didn't mention. That should seal any possible future arguments about this topic. ;-)

Haruka-chan

flower in the sand
FrenzyPlant said:
There's also bubblebeam, icy wind, and solar beam. -_-;

C

Carpetted!

And Rock Smash!
Pikachu used Rock Smash! There are no rocks anywhere around! OH NOS

Naraku_Diabolos

DNC20/NIN10
Tyranitar-Rex said:
I find Tail Whip to be funnier, as all it does is lower the foe's defense. You would think it'll do some sort of damage and/or make the opponent flinch, but then again Tail Whip is just the english name that is not as significant as the japanese name.

Tail Whip is an attack used by the summoned Avatar, Leviathan, in FFXI. The Avatar learns it when your Summoner is at Lv26. The tail smashes the opponent into the ground, causing the effect of Gravity (movement speed of the foe decreases, not attacking speed. You use Slow for that.) onto the monster.

Of course, this isn't FFXI, but I'm pointing it out that it could have another affect as what someone already mentioned above.

C

Carpetted!

And a tail would be smashing an opponent into the ground, lowering their speed but not damaging them?

T

TheBlueDragon

Tail Whip is more of a "Shake tail around so the opponent loses focus and lets its guard down" move, i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.