• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Generic names for attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carpetted!

^ And moves like flash and tail glow don't lower your opponent's focus? I think tail whip has a hidden meaning or something to it.

Naraku_Diabolos

DNC20/NIN10
Floored! said:
And a tail would be smashing an opponent into the ground, lowering their speed but not damaging them?

Yes, it does damage them. >.> I don't have Leviathan yet nor Shiva. :'(

Shiva's my woman on FFXI. She's a hawt Avatar. Even though I have a summoned NPC character that's my race and a girl, I hit on her too. First time I had her, I hit on her and she ends up leaving me. I had to wait a full Earth day to resummon her.

Enough of my love-life on FFXI, yes, a Tail Whip should do damage in a Pokemon game. When a Tail Whip hits the opponent, it makes the foe flinch and gets distracted by letting down its defense. Someone just said that earlier and that's exactly what it does.

Oh yeah, before I head onto FFXI, I also wanted to mention that Shiva has Double-Slap as well. It strikes the foe very hard twice while doing ice-type damage.

MetaKnight

My Heads Exploding!!
Keep The Cool Names!

Keep the cool names.I mean like

Surf-Tidal Wave
Thunder-Lightning Bolt
Fissure-Gigantic Hole
Toxic-Strong Poison

So keepp the cool names!!!!

Eszett

one love
I did not think I could stumble on a worse idea than six starters, but alas!, I have. To make the attacks so generic in name would kill the flavor of the Pokemon RPG, planting the seeds of destruction for the franchise. Or worse, transforming it into a standard, run-of-the-mill RPG.

And also: I'm back. Enjoy. ;D

C

Carpetted!

Beat up = Party pokemon attack
NO! Where's your imagination?

Electabuzz

Normal Coordinator
Tyranitar-Rex said:
I find Tail Whip to be funnier, as all it does is lower the foe's defense. You would think it'll do some sort of damage and/or make the opponent flinch, but then again Tail Whip is just the english name that is not as significant as the japanese name.
As for the idea; nah the names are fine; why would they suddenly change the names of moves in the 4th gen? :-/

Glacia said:
There's also bubblebeam, icy wind, and solar beam. -_-;

I'm not sure if you two get the joke at hand...good one Frenzy Plant, now whenever I see that, I'm gonna laugh.

Wolf Goddess

~Lupo Di Autunno~
Harden followed by Stringshot then either Spit Up or Swallow. *shot*

Seriously, this has to win the "worst D/P idea ever" award.

Feity

Storm Trainer
Wolf Goddess said:
Harden followed by Stringshot then either Spit Up or Swallow. *shot*

Seriously, this has to win the "worst D/P idea ever" award.
It works best if hit by a Lick attack first

TTar-X

<-Don't wake him up!
Not to mention that DP is going to be compatible with the other 3rd gen games, so the names of attacks can't be changed.

Eszett

one love
Dark Venusaur said:
I think for certain moves like 10% of the moves should be like that and the other 90% should stay the same.
But...what's the point? A description for each attack is given in the status screen (I can only imagine it become more vivid/specific with the advent of the DS's technology blessing the Pokemon franchise), even when the Pokemon are learning the attack so you know what it does before you delete something pivotal on the moveset. There is no need to cut down on the character, and with that being said, I expect oodles of fun/quirky/awesome names in D/P (though not in the XD trainer names style, that's a bit too outlandish for my tastes).

Status
Not open for further replies.