• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Genesect Discussion Thread (Pokebank Gen 6)

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
REMEMBER: PER SEREBII'S RULES, NO SPECULATION ON WHETHER OR NOT THIS THING SHOULD BE BANNED. Thank you.
genosect_by_pokedex_himori-d32apkw.png

Base Stats
71/120/95/120/95/99
Abilities
Download (Boosts the users Attack or Special Attack upon switching in, based on the opponents Defence and Special Defence.)
Typing
Bug/Steel
Current Tier
Pokebank OU

Notable Moves
U-Turn
Iron Head
Bug Buzz
Flamethrower
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Thunder
Flash Cannon
Shadow Claw
Shift Gear
Rock Polish
X-Scissor
Blaze Kick
ExtremeSpeed
Techno Blast

Ah, Genesect. The infamous Bug/Steel robot bug who came out of nowhere back in Generation V to dominate the metagame as one of the best revenge killers and scouts around. Whether he was hammering away at his opponents with powerful U-Turns, or setting up Rock Polishes and sweeping away, this scientific experiment gone horribly wrong left an unforgettable mark on the metagame. Even after his ban to the Ubers tier, he still managed to carve a name for himself as one of the best checks to some of the top threats around.

Now, in the 6th Generation, our Pokemon terminator has returned, and although he has gained almost no new weapons, and even lost his resistance to Ghost and Dark attacks, he serves as a potent check to many of the early metagame's top threats.

Share your favourite Genesect sets, counters, teammates, set-ups, etc. here, or just generally discuss how much *** this thing is going to kick this time around.

I'll start off by throwing out my physical Scarf scout set.

649.gif

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Naive - Download
252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Sp. Atk
-U-Turn
-Ice Beam
-Iron Head
-Shadow Claw / Explosion

This set breaks away from B2/W2's sets to focus more on raw physical attack, a trait I see as more valuable this generation thanks to the presence of specially defensive behemoths such as Goodra, Assaunt Vest tanks, and the plethora of new Fairies. U-Turn is still his primary weapon, taking chunks off of anything that doesn't resist it and allowing a switch to a much more favourable matchup. Ice Beam utilizes Sp. Atk boosts to beat physical walls like Hippowdon and Gliscor, as well as hitting Dragons and Landorus for some solid damage. Iron Head gives him a secondary STAB option that serves as a potent check to weakened Tyranitar and Fairy types. The last move is a matter of preference. Shadow Claw gives him decent coverage as well as something to throw at Aegislash on the switch-in, or Explosion just lets him go full out nuclear and potentially wipe out an otherwise hazardous threat.

So, any thoughts or comments on our favourite robot death bug?

Last edited:

Eaglehawk

Banned
Based on my experience with Genesect in OU, 24 HP / 252 Att / 8 SpA / 224 Spe works better.

genesect wont be pretty good now since they have mega scizor

... what is this crap.

Genesect and Mega Scizor play two completely different roles. All they share is typing. Genesect uses a devilish Choice Scarf pivot/revenge killer and a speedy Shift Gear sweeping set. Megazor uses a bulky Swords Dance set. The two cannot be compared.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
swords dance, bullet punch, and bug bite is all scizor needs
you have to give genesect a flash drive to tweak its techno blast (which is sorta like arceus judgment)

There is no point in using Techno Blast. Flamethrower and BoltBeam are stronger anyway. Genesect has entirely different functions and each have their flaws and benefits. Typing is all they share. As for Swords Dance, Genesect has Shift Gear, which is basically nuclear Dragon Dance.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
aye, shift gear is good. but flamethrower are both genesect AND scizor's weakness
since gamefreak finally did it right and made a fire starter who is faster, stronger, AND has a higher SpD... that's all you really need to defeat genesect

The issue being that Delphox is basically never seen and you're saying that Scizor is better than genesect because they both have a Fire weakness. Your logic makes absolutely no sense here. Again, they are equally useful in different roles and we should stop comparing the two.

I use Genesect as a Shift Gear sweeper myself. It tends to do a ton of damage when set up about once.

KillerDraco

The issue being that Delphox is basically never seen and you're saying that Scizor is better than genesect because they both have a Fire weakness. Your logic makes absolutely no sense here. Again, they are equally useful in different roles and we should stop comparing the two.

I use Genesect as a Shift Gear sweeper myself. It tends to do a ton of damage when set up about once.

It's best not to take anything he says seriously...

I've always been a sucker for the classic Choice Scarf Genesect. His speedy U-Turn has always been great for Scouting, it revenge kills like a champ due to the coverage it wields, and when things have been subsequently weakened, the combination of Scarf's speed and the inherent power he commands (especially if you net the appropriate download boost) makes him hard to stop. Such a fun set to use.

McDanger

Cause it will be a pain on my to plurge the thread of the spam posts and leaves it open for a repeat, i`m just going to destroy the argument

No, I feel like I`m looking at smogons uncharted terratory, comparing garchomp and zygard. Scizor and genesect are as different as they come, scizor either swords dances and sweeps with bullet punch, or has a choice band and, you guessed it bullet punches, while genesect does whatever the hell it wants with its high offensive stats, good speed, massive movepool, and amazing ability.

you have to give genesect a flash drive to tweak its techno blast (which is sorta like arceus judgment)

Why would you even do that, techno blast is trash, outclassed by flamethrower, ice beam, and thunderbolt, which allow it to use another item, like a LO to abuse its massive offensive ability. And yup thats all scizor needs, it also needs the opponent to not carry a fire, fast electric, fast water with will o wisp, or a steel

aye, shift gear is good. but flamethrower are both genesect AND scizor's weakness
since gamefreak finally did it right and made a fire starter who is faster, stronger, AND has a higher SpD... that's all you really need to defeat genesect

Shift gear allows genesect to do scizors job arguable better, having priority, speed, a more powerful steel move, and still has its massive coverage, as well as a physical fire move so it can actually do something to steels without a recoil, really making the only same thing to use being heatran as genesect can smash waters and fires with extreme speed. This also lets it avoid being checked by talonflame, a thing scizor would die for, as well as volcarona and infernape.

Delphox is trash, genesect takes a dump on it with u turn while scizor just sits there and takes flamethrower, tho thats how it is with any fire vs scizor. I`m only saying this once, delphox is bad, its nothing special, outpaced by a lot of threats, having sub par sp attack for OU, outclassed by heatran, who has better typing, movepool, and bulk, volcarona, who has more sp attack, quiver dance, and a better movepool, infernape, who can do nearly anything, victini, who has the same typing, better coverage, better bulk, and more use. All the listed pokemon where OU, yet where was genesect.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Based on my experience with Genesect in OU, 24 HP / 252 Att / 8 SpA / 224 Spe works better.

Hmm, duly noted.

Does Mega Scizor have Download? Does Mega Scizor have a usable Speed? Can Mega Scizor wield a Choice Scarf? Can Mega Scizor use Special sets?

No.

Technoblast is a terrible move. IIRC even Douse Drive Techno Blast used to be outdamaged by Hidden Power (Water). Obviously after the Hidden Power nerf that's not true anymore, but you're still sacrificing your item slot for a horrible move that's outclassed by Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, and Ice Beam respectively. Even with Douse Drive, IMO you're still better off running Hidden Power (Ground).

Also seconding basically everything mcdanger said.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
Cause it will be a pain on my to plurge the thread of the spam posts and leaves it open for a repeat, i`m just going to destroy the argument

No, I feel like I`m looking at smogons uncharted terratory, comparing garchomp and zygard. Scizor and genesect are as different as they come, scizor either swords dances and sweeps with bullet punch, or has a choice band and, you guessed it bullet punches, while genesect does whatever the hell it wants with its high offensive stats, good speed, massive movepool, and amazing ability.

Why would you even do that, techno blast is trash, outclassed by flamethrower, ice beam, and thunderbolt, which allow it to use another item, like a LO to abuse its massive offensive ability. And yup thats all scizor needs, it also needs the opponent to not carry a fire, fast electric, fast water with will o wisp, or a steel

Shift gear allows genesect to do scizors job arguable better, having priority, speed, a more powerful steel move, and still has its massive coverage, as well as a physical fire move so it can actually do something to steels without a recoil, really making the only same thing to use being heatran as genesect can smash waters and fires with extreme speed. This also lets it avoid being checked by talonflame, a thing scizor would die for, as well as volcarona and infernape.

Delphox is trash, genesect takes a dump on it with u turn while scizor just sits there and takes flamethrower, tho thats how it is with any fire vs scizor. I`m only saying this once, delphox is bad, its nothing special, outpaced by a lot of threats, having sub par sp attack for OU, outclassed by heatran, who has better typing, movepool, and bulk, volcarona, who has more sp attack, quiver dance, and a better movepool, infernape, who can do nearly anything, victini, who has the same typing, better coverage, better bulk, and more use. All the listed pokemon where OU, yet where was genesect.

Actually no, you are judging delphox because of its weaknesses. Delphox trumps any other fire starter that comes before it... anyway... genesect is a freak of nature with its high asf base stat total, I agree, with you 100% (plus, you will have extra options on using your mega stone on something else) but, genesect is legendary that even deoxys A will have a tough time with it unless it learns a fire type move that im not aware of

Last edited:

CircuitAngel

Dude, big red letters in the first post:

"REMEMBER: PER SEREBII'S RULES, NO SPECULATION ON WHETHER OR NOT THIS THING SHOULD BE BANNED. Thank you."

Killadave

The problem i see with Genesack is the Download that make him the Best Revenge Killer in this game to date. It Like i switch in i get that +1 Atk or +1 SpA Then what ever you bring into counter I'm gonna Put a Dent into it unless is Heatran

Umen Berker

Returning Vet
Actually no, you are judging delphox because of its weaknesses. Delphox trumps any other fire starter that comes before it... anyway... genesect is a freak of nature with its high asf base stat total, I agree, with you 100% (plus, you will have extra options on using your mega stone on something else) but, genesect is legendary that even deoxys A will have a tough time with it unless it learns a fire type move that im not aware of

"It trumps them all"

*Blaziken looks down from Uber's judgingly*

Techno Blast is a tricky case. On the one hand, 120 BP now makes it slightly stronger than a Life Orb-boosted elemental beam of the same type (which sit at 117). On the other hand, you have to ask if it's worth giving up the 30% boost to all of your other moves. Sets attempting to bluff a Choice Scarf might see use from the move. The sprites change with the different Drives, but Techno Blast is such a rare sight that you might get away with it anyway, and having a 120 BP coverage move could possibly outweigh the occasional power boost from the Expert Belt. There's also Douse Drive Techno Blast, which doesn't have any real competition from a move of its type (although its main target, Heatran, is still hit harder by a Life Orb-boosted HP Ground). I don't expect the Drives to be used that much given the raw usefulness of other items on Genesect's sets, but at least now I could see a good argument for it on a Choice bluff sort of set.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Techno Blast is a tricky case. On the one hand, 120 BP now makes it slightly stronger than a Life Orb-boosted elemental beam of the same type (which sit at 117). On the other hand, you have to ask if it's worth giving up the 30% boost to all of your other moves. Sets attempting to bluff a Choice Scarf might see use from the move. The sprites change with the different Drives, but Techno Blast is such a rare sight that you might get away with it anyway, and having a 120 BP coverage move could possibly outweigh the occasional power boost from the Expert Belt. There's also Douse Drive Techno Blast, which doesn't have any real competition from a move of its type (although its main target, Heatran, is still hit harder by a Life Orb-boosted HP Ground). I don't expect the Drives to be used that much given the raw usefulness of other items on Genesect's sets, but at least now I could see a good argument for it on a Choice bluff sort of set.

The issue I have with that is that Genesect is capable of hitting a very sizable portion of the metagame super-effectively. Even on a bluffScarf set I think Expert Belt would be more useful as it gives more overall power than any Drive does.

Heatran gets O/2HKO'd by HP Ground depending on the set (the combo of Thunderbolt + HP Ground 2HKOs even Air Balloon Sp. Def Tran), so if you really want to lure Heatran with your Genesect HP Ground is always the way to go.

McDanger

The issue I have with that is that Genesect is capable of hitting a very sizable portion of the metagame super-effectively. Even on a bluffScarf set I think Expert Belt would be more useful as it gives more overall power than any Drive does.

Heatran gets O/2HKO'd by HP Ground depending on the set (the combo of Thunderbolt + HP Ground 2HKOs even Air Balloon Sp. Def Tran), so if you really want to lure Heatran with your Genesect HP Ground is always the way to go.
tho water drive techno blast hits for the same damage if its choiced and requires less prediction. IMO techno blast is good as a suprise, hits stuff as gibbs pointed out harder then the element moves with a LO, especially since it now has an effective hydro pump with 100 accuracy, making its number one check an easy win. This will probably push genesect a little to far, i would be to surprised if its an early suspect.

252 SpA Genesect Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 170-202 (44 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Genesect Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 236-278 (73 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO