• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Genesect [Discussion]

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
hmm I think you're better off running this:

Genesect @ Life Orb
Download
Modest
8 HP / 252 spA / 248 spe

That way you outspeed Modest Hydreigon and slower. If for some reason you want to outrun Timid NP Lucario you could go 72 HP / 252 spA / 184 spe with Timid.

Alternatively if you want to 1HKO 252 spe Jolly Gliscor before it can damage you you can go 32 HP / 224 spe

though I don't see much reason to do either of these alternates unless Lucario or Gliscor are large threats to your team.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
Personally I don't expect to use it ever, but it will be best in rain I think, for the same reasons as scizor and ferrothorn. (Omg we can rain teams with 5 Pokemon having x4 weakness to fire and all be steel type once it is released XD). So when it is released does anyone think their will be (if only slightly) a surge of rain from the hype of Genesect?

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Rain is still at high levels anyway, but it is possible. Genesect does have decent bulk already, so in rain it would probably help it to survive weak HP Fire attacks. Rain would also allow Genesect to use Thunder. One problem with that I see is that a lot of Genesect would like to run Flamethrower themselves, and with the rain that doesn't work out so well. So I am kind of on the fence about that one.

bug pro

Pearl on Phone
I belive Genny will be as a sweeper, if on a weather, then Sandstorm. It feels like what P-Z wanted to be, but failed. I hope it places in OU whith it's mediocre speed.

It dosen't suck completely going Physical. Flame Charge, X-scizzor, etc are acceptable moves.

Psypert

Now that I think about it Genesect could work well as a Weather counter, just change a move in it's mixed set, for example I would run Thunder over thunderbolt to hit Rain teams hard, HP Fighting and Ice Beam seem good for Sand teams, and I know it sounds stupid but if you think about it it could work in Sun since it gets Flamethrower but also it can use it's other moves to counter opposing weathers

Eaglehawk

Banned
Rain is still at high levels anyway, but it is possible. Genesect does have decent bulk already, so in rain it would probably help it to survive weak HP Fire attacks. Rain would also allow Genesect to use Thunder. One problem with that I see is that a lot of Genesect would like to run Flamethrower themselves, and with the rain that doesn't work out so well. So I am kind of on the fence about that one.

You could just use it as a Rock Polish Sweeper in the rain. As long as you have a dedicated team member for taking out Steel types, most notably Jirachi and Ferrothorn, you could get away with a Rock Polish/Bug Buzz/Ice Beam/Thunder to decent usage. Being able to resist common attacks from late game sweepers, such as Lucario and Dragonite, gives it chances to set up Rock Polish and sweep.

Now that I think about it Genesect could work well as a Weather counter, just change a move in it's mixed set, for example I would run Thunder over thunderbolt to hit Rain teams hard, HP Fighting and Ice Beam seem good for Sand teams, and I know it sounds stupid but if you think about it it could work in Sun since it gets Flamethrower but also it can use it's other moves to counter opposing weathers

Not exactly. Against sun, you're still unable to hit fire types, factoring in Thunder's terrible miss under sun, Ice Beam and Flamethrower is not great against Fire types, and HP-Fighting does lol% damage to Heatran. HP-Fighting isn't going to do much against Terrakion or Tyranitar due to Sand's boost to Sp. Def.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein

I also don't know if I'd call it a weather "counter" so much as a weather "abuser" sort of, in that case. Either way I agree with Eaglehawk that you aren't really going to beat any weather for sure except you could probably manage to KO Abomasnow :p

Archaic

rawr!
I think it might even be UU. I certaintly dont like slow pokemon. Will it have something like Agility?

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
I think it might even be UU. I certaintly dont like slow pokemon. Will it have something like Agility?

No way in hell. Its far too versatile, powerful, and resistant. Also 99 spe isn't "slow" persay, it just is a "bad" speed tier to be in as you are almost fast enough, but not quite there.

Dr.Chaos

stick in the mud
I'd like to add that Specially Defensive Jirachi is a good counter to Genesect. It is only 3HKO'd even after rocks and can Paraflinch or try to KO it with Fire Punch which OHKO's 50% of the time with rocks on the standard specially defensive set.

Zachmac

It's probably going to make a great choice scarfer. Download, 120 attack and special attack, great coverage, and U-turn to help it out on the ever so popular Volt Turn teams. It may also make a great choice specs wall breaker, yet again, because of download and coverage. It can outrun every common wall I think of, even if it is a little slow, that's only compared to other offensive pokemon.

Speed isn't a problem.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Updating the Checks and Counters list with :

Chansey - Eviolite Chansey fears absolutely nothing from Genesect. It's U-turn will be laughed at and obviously any Special move will as well. Lacking recovery, Genesect will lose health and go down fast from Seismic Toss, or can be severly crippled by a T-Wave.

Chandelure - Chandelure really doesn't fear anything Genesect will carry. It can also threaten it with an extremely powerful STAB Fire move.

Miror

De-le-le wooooooooooop
Staff member
I think for the counters list Blissey ought to be considered, for essentially the same reasons as Chansey. Even with the specs set, it still would only 4HKO, while U-Turn does only about 30%, which can be immediately Soft Boiled off. Special moves obviously will do nothing worthwhile to Blissey, while it can T-Wave then Flamethrower Genesect.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Meet Solid Snake's Pokemon form, Genesect.

Spr_5b_649.png
Spr_5b_649_s.png
Spr_b_5b_649.png
Spr_b_5b_649_s.png

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

With Metal gear solid 3: Snake eater puns and references:

Currently unreleased, Genesect (Known as Metal Genesect Solid) is the last Pokemon (the only one who can defeat the Fire Cobra unit and THE BOSS) in the National Pokedex. It is a very powerful force (Train by the Fox Unit), as seen in the Dream World Tier. With a very effective movepool (with man made weapons)and great defensive (with environmental camouflage) typing, Genesect finds itself being a very large threat. Genesect also has a good ability in Download, that it can almost always use to its advantage (From long Range gun combat to CQC battles). Genesect can use the spA boost greatly with its Bolt/Beam, STAB Bug Buzz, or Flamethrower (The guns). Genesect can also benefit from the atk boost to throw powerful U-turns and X-scissors(CQC). Genesect does have its downfalls though. a base 99 speed leaves it in an undesirable speed tier, and allows it to be beat by base 100's such as Salamence with Fire Blast. This thread is here to discuss possible sets Genesect will use once it is released into standard play. This thread is also here to discuss if this Genesect will be "broken" enough to be removed from standard play and cast into the realm of Ubers.

Genesect has several useable offensive move options. These include:

- Bug Buzz
- Explosion
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- U turn
- X-scissor

* Note that its signature move, Techno Blast, is not worth using as Flamethrower,
Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt are all stronger versions of what Techno Blast could become.
Using these types for Techno Blast would also cause Genesect to lose out on a held item, which is also not worth it.

Support / Boosting Options:

- Charge Beam
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Rock Polish
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic

Example Sets:

Genesect @ Life Orb
Download | Naive
4 HP/ 252 spA / 252 spe
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

This Genesect can act as a very good mid / early game scout.
It can also function well to just put Pokemon in KO range of
your sweepers with its vast amount of coverage moves.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Download | Naive / Timid
- Bug Buzz
- U-turn / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower / Thunderbolt

Very similar to the previous Genesect set, though this Genesect
uses a Choice Scarf to patch its not so spectacular 99 speed.
This can allow Genesect to function well as a revenge killer.
Genesect can also scout with U-turn very well.
If the choice specs is being used you could always opt to remove
U turn for one of the coverage moves, in which case Timid nature should be used to keep your defenses. The choice specs could also
be a powerful threat with a massive spA stat and huge array of type coverage.

Specialsect
Genesect @ Life Orb
Download
Modest
8 HP / 252 spA / 248 spe
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder/Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Flamethrower

Bug Buzz is the main STAB move, enough said. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam get perfect coverage together, bar Lanturn, who is never seen in OU, and Magnezone. Thunder can be used over Thunderbolt if you have Drizzle Politoad support. In the last slot, Hidden Power Fighting hits some of Genesect's potential counters, like Heatran and Magnezone. Flamethrower is similar, but sacrifices hits on Heatran for hits on Skarmory, Forretress, and Metagross. Flamethrower should also only be used with Thunderbolt, so when in the rain, which perfects Thunder's accuracy, Flamethrower's power is not weakened.

Checks / Counters: Meet the Cobra Unit IN POKEMON FORMS.

- ;485; Heatran (AKA 'THE FURY'): Heatran takes any hit Genesect throws at it well, bar HP Ground and throws a powerful 4x Super Effective Fire move at it.

- ;462; Magnezone (AKA 'VOLGIN') : Magnezone can trap and KO Genesect fairly easily with HP Fire. Magnezone must beware of Flamethrower from Genesect though.

- ;385; Jirachi : (AKA 'THE END') Specially defensive Jirachi can take a 3HKO from Genesect while being able to paralyze and cripple it or 1-2HKO it with a fire punch.

- ;113; Chansey : (AKA 'THE PAIN') Eviolite Chansey fears absolutely nothing from Genesect. It's U-turn will be laughed at and obviously any Special move will as well. Lacking recovery, Genesect will lose health and go down
fast from Seismic Toss, or can be severly crippled by a T-Wave.​

- :609: Chandelure : (AKA 'THE FEAR') Chandelure really doesn't fear anything Genesect will carry. It can also threaten it with an extremely powerful STAB Fire move.

In conclusion, I personally can not wait until Genesect is released. I think it is a very interesting Pokemon and would like to see how it functions in standard play. Of course I am not against the ruling of it becoming Uber if it seems broken, though I really am not sure at the moment. It seems as though common threats like Heatran can really shut Genesect down. So I would like to see how you guys feel about Genesect. Also if you have any sets, or contributions you would like to make to this thread, feel free to post them.

I hope you like the puns and similarities that I added cause Genesect IS Solid Snake. or Metal Gear Rex.

Zachmac

Thinking about it, it could be a great partner for any physical sweeper. I can't think of a single physical or mixed wall that can stop it, making it perfect for clearing the way for, say, Terrakion.

Angeltripper

♥ Ace ♥
Genesect will be a Scarf dick if it's OU. I'm more into the other 2, as Keldeo is a Special Terrakion while Pirquette Meloetta is a faster Terrakion (by far)

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Genesect will be a Scarf dick if it's OU. I'm more into the other 2, as Keldeo is a Special Terrakion while Pirquette Meloetta is a faster Terrakion (by far)

Problem with Pira~~~~ not even gonna try, Meloetta is that you have to set up with a move, which limits your movepool and well obv, you have to take the turn to set up. I think Keldeo will be cool as well, but I definetly think Genesect will be a big threat.

Zachmac

Problem with Pira~~~~ not even gonna try, Meloetta is that you have to set up with a move, which limits your movepool and well obv, you have to take the turn to set up. I think Keldeo will be cool as well, but I definetly think Genesect will be a big threat.
And you're probably better off using a different set up sweeper then Meloetta, since they can get more of a boost in one turn.