• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Genesect & The Legend Awakened (M16)

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
If I had to guess, I would guess Yuko Minaguchi was Chill Drive Genesect, because that voice sounded completely unlike any of these other actors who have played often on the show.

Late (just saw the movie), but I'm willing to bet Minaguchi redubbed Eevee's voice for the international dubs to avoid contract issues.

SeiiannaKyuako

Fluffy Eevee
I dunno. Part of me still wants to say that this mewtwo is different from the original one. Both Mega mewtwos are said to appear in the next movie. We know that Female!Mewtwo has the Y stone. I think it would be interesting if Male!Mewtwo had the X stone. Of course, the same goes for Charizard, so.

That being said, if they did entirely retconn Mewtwo, they did a good job, but I wouldn't put it past either Plasma or Flare to try to recreate one of the most powerful pokemon ever.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Late (just saw the movie), but I'm willing to bet Minaguchi redubbed Eevee's voice for the international dubs to avoid contract issues.

You're right, the voice is slightly different. I just compared both versions side by side, the Japanese version is deeper.

Bulbapedia sources Twitter as the source confirming that Yuko Minaguchi voiced the Chill Drive Genesect, but not a specific account. I'll have to do some more checking.

EDIT: Tom Wayland is the source. Yuko Minaguchi is definitely the Chill Drive Genesect.

Last edited:
I can understand why the Mewtwos were different personality-wise. The one created by Team Rocket was put through a lot more pain and subjugation, like wearing the bind suit, and as a result became very dark. It does lighten up at the end of the movie and the special. This new one escaped before that happened and is willing to save Pokemon from danger, humans are just collateral. Also the new one tells humans to forget seeing it, where as the original Mewtwo wiped their memories.

I was still kind of hoping for Ash to mention to the new Mewtwo about the other one, even if just briefly.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This was a pretty good movie. My only gripes were Mewtwo's voice (just that the original Mewtwo was clearly a guy and this being the same Mewtwo having a girl's voice) and Genesect sounding like a little kid.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
This was a pretty good movie. My only gripes were Mewtwo's voice (just that the original Mewtwo was clearly a guy and this being the same Mewtwo having a girl's voice) and Genesect sounding like a little kid.
I'm pretty sure these are different Mewtwo's. Personality wise they seem too different to be the same one.

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!

This isn't the same Mewtwo. The first Mewtwo never got to the experimentation because he blew up the lab the moment they mentioned the idea of it. The 2nd one actually got further and was even electrocuted which resulted in it blowing up the lab.

Also the first mewtwo actually realised the the right path after seeing Ash twice.

This new Mewtwo realised the right path because the Pokemon helped it when it was injured.

The second mewtwo didn't meet Giovanni. If it did, it would have shown it in the flashbacks but not once did Giovanni ever show in the flashbacks.
The 2nd mewtwo while had a similar start with it's creation started having differences the moment it was experimented on.

The 2 mewtwo's personalities are completely different. The first mewtwo is calm and collected and tends to wonder about it's direction. He's always in thought deciding on his path.

The 2nd Mewtwo is more energetic which is displayed by it's competitive nature in trying to go as high as the earth allows to test it's strength and also displays a personality that is very different to that of the first mewtwo. She more out with it and seems to have a different thinking direction to the first mewtwo.

Paralititan

This isn't the same Mewtwo. The first Mewtwo never got to the experimentation because he blew up the lab the moment they mentioned the idea of it. The 2nd one actually got further and was even electrocuted which resulted in it blowing up the lab.

Also the first mewtwo actually realised the the right path after seeing Ash twice.

This new Mewtwo realised the right path because the Pokemon helped it when it was injured.

The second mewtwo didn't meet Giovanni. If it did, it would have shown it in the flashbacks but not once did Giovanni ever show in the flashbacks.
The 2nd mewtwo while had a similar start with it's creation started having differences the moment it was experimented on.

The 2 mewtwo's personalities are completely different. The first mewtwo is calm and collected and tends to wonder about it's direction. He's always in thought deciding on his path.

The 2nd Mewtwo is more energetic which is displayed by it's competitive nature in trying to go as high as the earth allows to test it's strength and also displays a personality that is very different to that of the first mewtwo. She more out with it and seems to have a different thinking direction to the first mewtwo.

This. Also, if it was the same Mewtwo, he would have known Ash and he would have been concerned for him as well. Mewtwo is now a good friend of Ash iirc.

Also, anyone else think there was a significant difference in power between Mewtwo and Newtwo? Mewtwo seemed a lot more powerfull with his psychic attacks and teleporting an entire lake. However, Newtwo seemed a bit faster even when not Mega evolved.

I hope Mewtwo and Newtwo will meet in a future movie.

Snivy18

Just watched the movie probably a week ago.

To be honest, I didn't really like it. It was really understandable, but just how some ways the characters acted, they are really just weird to me...

One, really important to me, was Mewtwo. I'm always wondering how Mewtwo started to protect Pokemon with all her (or its) life. It seems weird, as I thought Mewtwo would be friendly to Ash, since it would recognize him. But it seems to me as if it just first met Ash. I mean, such as with Girintina, in M12, Girintina remembered Ash after flying with him in the Torn World.

You do realize this is a different Mewtwo altogether, right? Even the movie points it out several times.

The question I have, since it's clearly a different Mewtwo... is how did they make another one? All the scientists who worked on the one TRUE Mewtwo died. When did they have time to make another?

(And when I say clearly, the original had a much deeper masculine voice, than the obvious feminine one this one had.)

Actually, what raises even more questions, is how does Mewtwo get mega stones? It's not a natural Pokemon, it's manmade. So either Megastones are Manmade, or something made it just for that pokemon and it must have done so very recently.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The question I have, since it's clearly a different Mewtwo... is how did they make another one? All the scientists who worked on the one TRUE Mewtwo died. When did they have time to make another?

(And when I say clearly, the original had a much deeper masculine voice, than the obvious feminine one this one had.)

Actually, what raises even more questions, is how does Mewtwo get mega stones? It's not a natural Pokemon, it's manmade. So either Megastones are Manmade, or something made it just for that pokemon and it must have done so very recently.

Take in mind that this was the writers knowing absolutely nothing about the Mega Evolution mechanic before it was made public (though of course they were told about it, maybe even knowing the mechanic but still wanted to let femMewtwo go trainer-less), so you may as well pretend that femMewtwo here was changing formes at will.

Alternatively, those experiments somehow channeled all that strange energy theory that made Mega Stones, but that's just stretching it.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

The real question should be "How did they get the exact same cloning and gene splicing results when all of the notes and information about the original Mewtwo are destroyed and permanently erased from memory?" And the answer is "Because shut up."

Considering they didn't even bother trying to make a motivation for the scientists in this one, my guess is someone got drunk and had the most brilliant idea in the world, and everyone decided to follow along without question believing they wouldn't have to face the consequences because science. Unless they were just doing it for the sake of being evil, but there's no point to it if there's no proof that that was their motivation. It speaks volumes about the competence of the screenwriter and I suppose the director in how much he cared about the end result when we have an entire backstory dedicated to the creation of the original Mewtwo and next-to-zilch on this one.

AuraChannelerChris I think gave a good answer, but it's nothing more than a theory because they never bothered to answer it, not even in the prologue special. We can pretend it's fairy magic and it would still be plausible.

I still call the Red Genesect "Shredder" Genesect in the dub version.

Heh, I can get behind that.

Last edited:
Several Things:

1. Charon, is that you? Well, we didn't actually see him get arrested in the Anime, did we?

charon.png

2. Sure, the previous Mewtwo wiped TRs memories of their meeting in Johto, but they still have the Data concerning Mewtwo in their Computers. Maybe Charon got the info off the Black Market & made some modifications to the design. Giving Mewtwo the power of Independant Mega Evolution.

3. I've asked this question several times on Facebook Groups & other Forums, and so I post it here.

When is the UK gonna get this movie on DVD?

America have had it on DVD for about 2 years.

JudySpell

Banned
This was my most anticipated Pokemon film until I saw the female Mewtwo. Sorry, but I didn't like her one bit and I wanted the original Mewtwo to be here. 3/10

Gillachu

Banned
For me the only good scene in the movie was when the Red Genesect and Mewtwo went to space and the city at night battle scene.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I finally got to see this movie by downloading it (I'll get the DVD eventually, I just wanted to finish up all Unova material). It wasn't one of the more memorable movies, but I liked that Mewtwo found kind of a kindred spirit in a pokemon that was created and altered by humans that is wanting to find a place in this world. And at least Team Rocket had speaking roles unlike the Kyurem movie, but I wish they would have a bigger role again.

5/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked how Ash befriended the Douse Genesect and I felt sad that the Genesect group's former home didn't exist anymore. The shiny Genesect was aggressive, but seeing Mewtwo befriend it in the atmosphere was cool. :3