• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Genesect & The Legend Awakened (M16)

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
So a while back I rewatched this and wrote probably the longest and most in-depth review anyone's given this movie (reccommend reading it, but there is strong language). Jesus, I didn't think I could hate this movie more than I already did, but there are so many things I didn't notice the first time around (like Ash sympathising with the violent militia what injured and kicked several Pokémon out with force, and not the Pokemon who are rightfully mad and want their home back) that the whole Mewtwo debacle seems minor.

And thus I return back to the shadows from whence I came.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Interesting character dynamics! Unique plot for a Pokemon movie! Superb acting! And stakes kept the blood running!

Just kidding.

This movie was sad and not in the good way.

The character dynamic between Genesect and Mewtwo was best done with the original because you've seen the original's struggle with life. You saw Amber-two die. You felt sad. After seeing that, what on earth made the writers think that rehashing it was a good idea? We didn't even see Newtwo have a reason to exist outside of executive meddling. It speaks volume when the dub voice actress said that this was probably a terrifying and fuse-lighting situation.

It's just another generic "not evil, just misunderstood" type of plot.

The acting was good in Japan, but meh here in the states. It's not as bad as XY's dubbing, but not good either. Good grief, Douse Drive Genesect feels so out of place.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
This is where the infamous female Mewtwo appeared. Yuck. We deserved to see the male one from Mewtwo Strikes Back, not this knock off version with a copied origin story.

zdbz_sn

…Ooh boy…

To get this out of the way immediately: I don’t object to there being more than one Mewtwo. I don’t object to the second Mewtwo being female. I don’t object to Mewtwo having a Mega evolution.

I object to doing all these things poorly.

There’s a second Mewtwo? Fine. Explain this! This isn’t like Ash meeting other Lucario after Movie 8, or even meeting other Legendary Birds after Movie 2. Mewtwo is a genetic experiment, with a fairly detailed back story. Even playing by the logic of the sci-fi/fantasy world of loose continuity that is Pokemon, the idea that another team of scientists would come up with a clone of Mew with the exact same genetic deviations as the clone paid for by Team Rocket is a stretch at best. And why does Ash seem to not know what Mewtwo is? Sure, he wouldn’t know this individual Mewtwo, but he would know the species! BW is the series that mentioned Butterfree and brought back Charizard - continuity still counted for something then.

The second Mewtwo is female? Great. Get a good VA! I’ll have more to say about TCPi’s dub in a minute, but Mewtwo’s is the only voice that I would fault on the actual performance. The VA seemed to aim for a stoic and thoughtful voice, but more often than not, came off as stiff and cold. It reminded me of a lot of acting you see in those sword-and-sandal B-movies from the 50s and 60s, where everyone in the cast takes the script way too seriously.

Mewtwo has a Mega evolution? Fantastic. Put effort into the design! Seriously, why does the Mega form look less powerful and intimidating than the base form?

But setting aside the big returning star, Genesect has a lot of problems. Chief among them is a major miscalculation in story. Only one of the Genesects is given a real personality and sympathetic characteristics. The red Genesect is a one-note jerk, and the other three are just members of a hive. Because there’s so little to them as characters, you can’t claim that their eventual turn to Good is out-of-character…but it’s not an earned development either. It’s just arbitrary, and it holds no weight, because there’s been no reason given to care about any of them save one. And, if I’m being honest, that one got kind of annoying, with his “I want to go home” catchphrase repeated with the same intonation so many times.

And, to get back to Mewtwo - once you get over the initial appeal of seeing one of the most iconic of the original Pokemon back in action , Mewtwo’s kind of…there. She’s involved in the action, and the effort to make her sympathetic to the Genesect’s cause while wanting to protect the other Pokemon was a noble one, but between her poor casting and the weaknesses in the Genesects’ characters, it just doesn’t gel. And Mewtwo’s actions don’t really drive the change of heart for the Genesects, other than the red one. But his turn would have had more impact IMO had his hive been responsible for it. So, at the end of the day, Mewtwo just doesn’t need to be there.

When it comes to the main cast, the movies by this point had developed a strong pattern, with the odd deviation: they’d stumble into a mess they had no connection with, the male travelling companion would be sidelined with nothing to do, the female travelling companion would get no meaningful story or arc of her own but would play back-up to Ash, and Ash would serve as a deus ex machina for the big conflict. I was fully expecting the same basic scenario here. I got two surprises: Cilan was given a “bring the cavalry” moment, and Iris didn’t really back Ash up the way Dawn did, so she was the one who ultimately had nothing to do. Ash’s part was about what I expected it to be, which is to say, underwhelming.

And now we’ll come back to the TCPi dub. I’ve mentioned before that the big issue with TCPi isn’t necessarily that the performances are bad, but that they’re miscast. BW offers a perfect example for me to explain my meaning: Cilan. Out of all the post-OS travelling companions, he’s the one I’m most interested in. And his personality and physical acting in the animation are very appealing. But his voice in the dub is just wrong. There’s nothing wrong with Jason Griffith’s performance; he makes a fine go of it as an actor. But a character like Cilan, looking like he does, speaking in the sort of flowery language that he uses, should have a more elegant and flamboyant voice, perhaps with a Mid-Atlantic accent. The very American voice - which sounds much older than a teenager, BTW - does not fit IMO. I have similar issues with Iris - in her case, the voice sounds too young, and too sweet, for the personality she’s meant to possess.

I’ll give this film credit for not having as many pacing issues as some of the others. The TRio’s “why are we even here” antics slow things down, as does lingering for too long on those construction workers, but the movie doesn’t really have any dead spots and moves along at a brisk pace. There was some nice animation too. But there was some dodgy animation as well, the first time I’ve felt that about one of the Pokefilms. A certain laziness dogs this movie. It’s most notable in the lack of character for the Genesects and any explanation for a second Mewtwo, but the whole idea of two groups of Pokemon coming to blows, with Ash and (a) Mewtwo being in the middle, is recycled. To be fair, it shares only the most bare of bones with the first Pokefilm, and those bones come to an incomplete skeleton at that. But when combined with the other flaws of this film, that borrowing of plot grows more noticeable.

I’ll say this: I was more attentive watching Genesect than I was, say, Pokemon Heroes, which left me bored more than once. But I was so attentive here because there was so much that seemed off. While I personally think Deoxys was worse, I'm not surprised that this one is at the bottom of so many lists.

(And it has the most forgettable CotD to date. Seriously, all I remember about that guy is that he was on-screen for some of the running time.)

Leonhart

Imagineer
While everyone seemed upset about the new Mewtwo in this movie, I thought its inclusion was a good idea. The previous Mewtwo's story had ended already, so that one coming back would've simply been an act of pandering to nostalgia, which I'd look down upon. The Genosect group was intriguing too, and I pitied them since they were outsiders in a new era.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Whoa so the new Mewtwo in this movie was female and even though she was generic, I loved when she and Genesect went to space. I just hated how her Mega Evolution happened.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Whoa so the new Mewtwo in this movie was female and even though she was generic, I loved when she and Genesect went to space. I just hated how her Mega Evolution happened.

Mewtwo's Mega Evolution was fine with me, and I can only guess that it functioned differently due to how Mega Evolution was still a new concept when this film was produced.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Mewtwo's Mega Evolution was fine with me, and I can only guess that it functioned differently due to how Mega Evolution was still a new concept when this film was produced.

Doubtful. The writers get told all the secrets of the games ahead of time, but they decided to go with this, especially because in movies they think they have absolute freedom in messing with established mechanics. Let's not forget they themselves don't implement already-established rules of the game in the anime.

And this was done near the end of the Unova lifespan (during the filler season), which by then they were already making the Kalos season.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, I would've loved a much longer fight scene between Mewtwo and Genosect. The trailers made that seem guaranteed, but in actual fact the promised match seemed more like a brief skirmish.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I liked how Douse Drive Genesect was like in general, with its interactions with Ash and his friends and being behind the other Genesect. I also liked that Sableye but I wished I would see it more often. Mega Mewtwo Y was kinda unexpected because Mewtwo was able to become so in its free will. Overall I liked the night urban background of some of the scenes because they just looked cool.

I loved the design of New Tork City. It was also nice to see usually weak Pokemon like Persian getting to fight and actually doing well against the Genesect army. I really wished that Iris and Cilan could get to do more in this movie though since it was their final one. At least Ash seemed to recognize Mewtwo, even thought this is clearly a different one.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
At least Ash seemed to recognize Mewtwo, even thought this is clearly a different one.

The original Mewtwo left Satoshi's memory intact when they met the second time I believe, so it was nice continuity to see Satoshi recall what a Mewtwo was.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Who's idea was it to make Genesect a cute and cuddly creature? I know the dialogue is supposed to be dramatic, but I can't help laughing.

As for the Mewtwo controversy, the dub actress said this was a controversial idea. That's all that needed to be said.

Leonhart

Imagineer
U.N. Owen said:
As for the Mewtwo controversy, the dub actress said this was a controversial idea. That's all that needed to be said.

Mewtwo's Japanese seiyuu made similar comments I believe, yet unlike her English counterpart, she did a much better job voicing Mewtwo.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
So weird how even such a scary and robotic Pokemon like Genesect could end up being kinda cuddly lol. I really liked the new Mewtwo because it was nice to get something different, that and I didn't like the original male Mewtwo that much (I don't care, sue me).

This movie was better than I expected. Porygon2 cameos again. I liked how Iris and Cilan actually helped out in the movie. The Mewtwo involvement felt weird but it was nice seeing Mega Mewtwo Y. The Genesect were cool and I liked how Genesect sacrificed itself for Ash. I love the setting of this movie, it reminds me a lot of New York City and Central Park. I wish Team Plasma could have been more involved and have the Genesect plot tie into that. This was a decent movie. The English ending song was trash but the Japanese one was great, one of the best that I’ve heard along with Tweedia and Breath.

6/10

The movies that I've watched so far ranked:
1. M12
2. M11
3. M10
4. M16
5. M13
6. M15
7. M14

BobbbidyBob

To me it felt like they were forced to make this movie. I’m gonna pretend this isn’t canon but...genesect deserved better

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
I love the whole idea of ancient pokemon being experimented on and waking up in the present with little recollection of the past. The visuals of the city were nice, the shiny Genesect was cool. That being said, I was dissatisfied with the direction the movie took. Once again they have the base for great sci-fi fantasy, but instead don’t explore any of it and focus on one sole simple motivation for the entire movie. When I saw the Team Plasma logo I had hopes they would show up. At this point I would’ve preferred they show up to try and take control over the genesect for their malicious intentions and throw some backstory as to why they were experimenting on them in the first place. Why did they let them escape and never went on a mission to retrieve them? If the red genesect was going to be mad about something, it should’ve been at Team Plasma.