• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Genesect & The Legend Awakened (M16)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
So, uh, I thought this movie was just below average because of the fact it's a random (woman!) Mewtwo and the Genesect screeching like insects nearly all the time was annoying. In fact, just like the Kyurem movie, Ash, Iris, and Cilan sit back and do nearly nothing, not unlikely Reshiram & Zekrom where they all did their part. And if they tried to get into the action, you could just compare Oshawott's lame attempts to douse out the blue(?) fire compared to that wild Feraligatr.

And the feud between Mewtwo and Red Genesect was dragging out for too long it felt stale. The fact anime(!) Mega Mewtwo Y can be a Sonic the Hedgehog with flight powers was...the most, randomest thing ever. Just as random as the ultimate Kyurem from the previous movie who can change formes at will.

Then there comes to second Mewtwo, the one with a feminine voice. Besides her random upbringing and complete lack of important backstory details, I'm very used to seeing a perpetual frowner in Mewtwo. She kind of...smiled too many times it was creepy.

Speaking about the wild Pokémon, they were actually awesome more than the legendaries and the main cast. The Psychic-types can Waterbend! And that Feraligart was the most awesome one I've seen so far. It's kind of sad I liked the wild Pokémon more than the main characters. Too bad the Sableye did squat other than saying, "Freaky hive-thing inside my home!". By the way, WHO THE HECK BUILDS THE CITY'S MAIN POWER GENERATOR BELOW A HUGE POKEMON HABITAT WHERE SAID POKEMON COULD POSSIBLY DESTROY IT?

Oh, and they kind of tried making Eric important until he stepped out. I wish we could have someone like Kid from the Mystery of Mew back.

So yes. Overall, this movie wasn't that great. Good thing the XY quality seems to be a step up in the right direction for action...for now. We've got a good chance, perhaps.

CHANSEY!

BlackWhiteMonta

Vivillon Collector
I liked this movie overall. Mewtwo having a female voice kind of irked me a bit, but I got over it.
And I knew the Mewtwo was going to be different. The Mew in M8 obviously wasn't the same one from M1, so I expected they'd make a new Mewtwo.

HoennMaster

...Like I said, I don't care about myself- I care about my fellow fans instead. And I do think balance between old and new viewers is important.

And the point I was trying to make with my quip was to not forget about longtime fans (since, regardless of who's watching, bigger viewer numbers= cha-CHING), as well as a reminder of the irony where, when one audience is appealed to, more viewers are likely to come in, whereas when multiple contrasting audiences are appealed to, less viewers are likely to come in.

Except they didn't forget about long time fans....that's why the movie is using a Mewtwo to begin with. If people only watched this movie because they saw a Mewtwo then they had no intention of watching it otherwise.

If the just used the Real Mewtwo, it would have catered to the Older Fanbase while still making the Newer one happy. It'd be a Win-Win.... But instead they decide to only make Eps/Movies for 10 year olds and refuse to grow up with their audience

Irony considering how bad your whining is. Including Mewtwo was catering to the older fans. using the other Mewtwo would have been redundant.

Maybe it is just me, but sarah's VA for ash sounds better than it ever has here.

It's not just you. She has evolved into Ash just as much as Veronica did.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
*Watches movie* Let me be completely honest and say that I had no idea this was even airing today; the lack of promo for this movie is to blame. I mean I've seen commercials for all the other movies but it seems like the network gave up on this movie before it even aired by cutting its promo budget or something; maybe they knew that the ratings wouldn't be high because of all the movie's flaws or plotholes? I don't know, but I'm lucky a friend of mine reminded me that it was airing today. Anyway, as I predicted, the movie was a flop and I'm talking from a plot standpoint, not its commercial success or lack thereof. I thought the story in the original version was convoluted and hard to follow, but the dub made the whole thing even more difficult to follow. I was willing to overlook some of the previous plotholes, but the English dub (purposely I'm assuming) seemed to neglect a few key points and only made things worse. I will say however that I loved the animation during the Genesect vs. Mewtwo battle at night in the city. That was always my favorite scene from the previews, and Mewtwo having a female voice was at least consistent with the original version of the movie (even if we didn't really learn how this Mewtwo came to be outside of the vague flashbacks we got before). The scene where the Red Genesect and Mewtwo went into space gave me the giggles like I knew it would because of how silly and sappy the whole thing was; I wanted a hardcore ending to their rivalry but I guess that was too much to ask for. I give this movie a 3/10, which is practically what I gave the original version.

Maybe it is just me, but sarah's VA for ash sounds better than it ever has here.

We must be hearing different voices then because Ash's voice still sounds robotic and emotionless to me. Even when he's feeling a strong emotion, his VA just can't emote imo.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
For those wondering, Newtwo's voiced by Miriam Pultro, not Bella Hudson.

Steelia

forever.
Shetwo/Mewtwo in this movie is great. I was afraid that she would be nerfed like crazy, but she survived it and showed what she was capable of. I really liked her personality; very different from the original Mewtwo, which is good. It helps set her apart. Preferring to use words over action, but can absolutely hold her own in battle when she is "wasting her breath". Loved that part near the end when she just up and psy-grabs Genesect after getting tired of its attitude. Also, the times when she would go into super-speedy Mega Y mode made my jaw drop!

Unfortunately, outside of the Pokemon themselves, there's little to say. Too much time was spent showing Mewtwo & Red Genesect racing around; the movie spent too much of its time trying to look cool versus building up anything substantial towards a plot. Did anyone else notice how the two of them spent half the film doing laps around the Genesect hive? And then the entire city's power was being kept BENEATH A FACILITY FOR WILD POKEMON. How lazy.
Sure, I got feels for Douse Drive Genesect, but I don't need it continually hammered on my head that the thing is innocent and wants to go home. Stop torturing it, for crying out loud! The pity party only works effectively once. The film shows all this hardcore action, then poof, we're in the middle of a sentimental scene with Douse Genesect and the water lillies... then poof, right back into the action! Too much emotional flip-flopping around. And pulling the "eye lights go to make it look like it is dead when it is actually not" card was cliche and lazy.

That's how this movie can be summed up - lazy. Very pretty to look at, but extremely lazy in just about all other aspects. The new Mewtwo's existence? Why she can Mega Evolve without a stone/Mewtwonite Y? The plot of the film? The way Ash and company were handled? I don't think Iris even did anything at all except stand around! What happened to their Pokemon, like Dragonite and Charizard?
The opening of this film was so~ good, so promising. How Mewtwo could tap into the minds of the Genesect and see how they were made, and where they came from, was epic. But as usual, once Ash and friends walk in is where the film grinds to a complete stop. The only interesting parts are the interactions between Mewtwo and the Genesect. The movie kept the scale too small, keeping the Pokemon cooped up in this tiny facility versus taking their confrontation elsewhere. There should've been more build-up to the Genesect going berserk due to their home being gone, versus immediately making their way towards humanity and spending the next 3/4ths of the film making a home and being jerks.

Alas, this is the film we have instead. I can't say I'm disappointed; knowing we got a 2nd Mewtwo at all, I knew things weren't looking good. At the very least, I like Shetwo, she's a great Mewtwo. I'd honestly enjoy seeing where she goes, and what adventures are in store for her. Otherwise... it's not something I'd recommend, let alone ever really watch twice. It's frustratingly stupid.
But at least it was pretty.

ZeoViolet

For those wondering, Newtwo's voiced by Miriam Pultro, not Bella Hudson.

I have no idea who that is, but I'll look it up. Thankees!

I just want to find the dub version of this now. I want to see if they measured up at all...not that the hype has been the greatest, because it hasn't been.

Vernikova

Champion
I liked this movie.

The random Chansey appearing out of nowhere after the Chansey pun was pretty funny in my opinion. It was also nice to see background Pokemon like Feraligatr and Persian getting to fight and actually hang in there against the Genesect. You usually don't get to see that happen too often. Also happy that those Rock-type Pokemon survived the fall into the water.It's too bad we didn't get to see more of the bird Pokemon flying with Mewtwo at the beginning, but I guess regional birds aren't supposed to get too much time to shine anyway. I really wished that Iris and Cilan could get to do more in this movie since it was there last one. Hopefully they'll get there time to shine when they return in Kalos.

And yes, I got the very New York City feel as well along with the hot dog delicacies. 7/10 enjoyable

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Different individual. Different Mewtwo. Not the same one. As female as a genderless species can be.

Okay, can someone finally be able to tell me...who's her english voice? Who dubbed her? I don't get CN, so I'll have to find this elsewhere for now.
I only got to watch the first 30 minutes at work so I'll have to watch it on tape at home to confirm that it really IS a different Mewtwo. If what you said is true... Then this Mewtwo and the one we know and love went through very similer circumstances.

thetamale

I'm okay with there being multiple Mewtwo. That's perfectly reasonable to me.

The thing that let this movie down for me was the Genesect, inconsistently switching between Pokemon noises and (in Douse Drive's case especially) horrific voice acting. Legendary Pokemon just should not talk, it ruins the movies, psychic types it makes sense because they can be telepathic and I suppose it makes sense for Arceus but that's it really, I mean can you imagine if Dialga, Palkia and Giratina spoke in the Arceus movie? This movie was enjoyable and had a good story but there was room for improvement in such simple ways in my opinion.

ZeoViolet

I only got to watch the first 30 minutes at work so I'll have to watch it on tape at home to confirm that it really IS a different Mewtwo. If what you said is true... Then this Mewtwo and the one we know and love went through very similer circumstances.

Let's just say that the truth was an exceedingly difficult thing for many people to swallow back in July...and since! I've seen it in Japanese. I am interested in hearing the English voice.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Let's just say that the truth was an exceedingly difficult thing for many people to swallow back in July...and since! I've seen it in Japanese. I am interested in hearing the English voice.

Miriam Pultro does a good job of emulating Reiko Takashima and capturing the sort of bad-tempered compassion this Mewtwo has. I was impressed.

ZeoViolet

I nearly died laughing when I heard the red one's voice, i'd recognize the Utrom Shredder anywhere^^

*Laughs* Oh no. Really?!

I've got to hear it.

As for Miriam's voice, I went and looked up a reel with clips of her acting. If our new Mewtwo sounds anything like that, then yes, I'm interested in seeing the english version.

Last edited:

Pokefan 2000

Miriam Pultro huh i thought it was setphine young voice of nico robin from one piece the deep calm voice made me think of nico robin.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Miriam Pultro huh i thought it was setphine young voice of nico robin from one piece the deep calm voice made me think of nico robin.

I was anticipating Colleen Clinkenbeard, but Miriam Pultro sounded quite close to what I had hoped for.

She played Caitlin in BW, for information's sake.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
The movie was okay but just didn't like a few things about it.

-the fact that it was an entirely different Mewtwo other than the one we all know. Plus no kind of explanation as to how and why.

-Ash acting all surprised like he never even saw Mewtwo before. Or question if its the same one he knew before and since it wasn't, acknowledge the fact that there are two out there.

To me it would have been better if the original Mewtwo was in this movie instead of a female version. I don't get why the Pokemon creators decided to go this route and probably never will but I was disappointed in this movie. And I haven't felt this way since the Pokemon ranger one with Manaphy.

One of my all-time favorite Pokemon ruined.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
What I find stupid about this movie is how it promotes one Mewtwo Megaform and not the other.

I get the feeling the "real" Mewtwo might Megaevolve into the other one. So there's a chance we may see the return of our beloved Mewtwo in the future.