• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gengar or Chandelure

Boo

• Gengar

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • Chandelure

Votes: 50 57.5%

• Total voters

Ghostfoot

crooked witch
Ah. The two spooky ghost types that match each other in terms of 3 evolutions per line.

Unova is suppose to be like a fresh new Kanto, so I suspect that Chandelure is Gengar's counterpart?

Although I really love Gengar (;___;!) I'm going to have to say Chandelure. It's design seems like it has more.. put into it? I don't know. I'm just really adoring those cute little stitches it has over its mouth. And those blank yellow eyes that seem to stare into your soul owo Purple flame is always a nice touch too. Yeah, we don't see purple fire everyday 8D; Awesome! I also love the idea of inanimate objects being possessed and all ghostly >D Unsuspecting household appliances burning up your soul and leaving the body behind? Yes plz.

I love fire. A ghost being part fire type is just.. amazing. It's fun to use in-game killing everybody with random flamethrowers and the like WHILE still maintaining that ghostly essence :| Chandelure just reeks of badass. And I'm an oldie. I usually like the original Pokemon because I grew up with it D8 But there's nothing wrong with some of the new guys.. They're just as good :3

Pokémon_Prodigy

Athena of Pokemon
When I first saw the Unova pokemon, I was really thinking that Game Freak lost their mind with their designs. However, Chandelure was one of the pokemon that really had a nice idea behind it. I believe Gengar looks better, but Chandelure has a better type (Ghost/Fire).

So honestly, I'm going for both of them as equal.

Last edited:

Nakashima

Gengar without a doubt. I really dont like pokemon made out of objects, like Chandelure is. Replacing animals with pokemon made sense, replacing objects with pokemon.. not so much. Just my opinion though, not saying no one can like it xD

Lunanight

Lets see....

Gengar:
+ Faster then most pokemon, does not need choice scarf so life orb is better choice
+ Better movepool
+ pretty good SpAtk (130 SpAtk) so it does not need choice specs, again: life orb is better choice
+ can check various pokemon
+ Has levitate
+ Only weak to Poison, Dark and Ghost and the latter is much more common then the other 2 are.
- Poor Def, SpDef and HP
- poor Atk (With 130 SpAtk, it does not really matter)

Chandelure:
+ Shadow tag to trap and revenge kill things
+ A sky-high 145 SpAtk which is the highest SpAtk for a non-uber pokemon and has more SpAtk then most uber's anyway
+ Respectable Def and SpDef (about base 80)
+ OHKO's most of the metagame if you trap them
+ With a baton pass team, you can pass a few speed boosts to Chandelure and give it a life orb to sweep better then Gengar.
- Poor speed and is reliant on a choice scarf to revenge kill
- Poor movepool (Fire Blast, Shadow Ball, Calm Mind, Hidden Power, Energy Ball, Substitute are the only decent moves it can have IMO)
- has lots of weaknesses (Water, Rock, Ground, Dark and Ghost. they are all common in the metagame except for Dark.)

My opinion:
It purely depends on how your team is built.
If you need a speedy revenge killer with the ability to switch attacks then Gengar is the better choice.
If you only need a powerful pokemon to trap and OHKO things then Chandelure is the better choice.
I personally prefer gengar so I can slap on a Specs Heatran who has more resistances and resists the things that Gengar is weak to while Gengar can avoid ground and fighting types and kill water types with T-Bolt. It can power it's way through the opponent's team while leaving Heatran to be a late game sweeper.

Of course, you do not need a heatran (Any pokemon that works well with either Gengar or Chandelure would do) but I just like using Heatran.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
CEILING LIGHTS!!!

Though I like gengar as well. But otherwise, do I need to say anything else?

Dattebayo

Banned
Gengar for being faster and having a vast movepool.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
I have an affinity for Fire type and Chadelure's appearance is way cool. Those souless eyes piercing you soul while the flames of hell are unleashed into the realm of mortals by a possessed chandelier. Win.

But, ever since Kanto, I've used and relied on the Gastly line in adventure and my limited ComBat career. Ghost-Fire has a few weaknesses (in type match ups) compared to a Levitating Ghost-Poison.

Gengar is fast and once upon a time, I would've preferred it over a slower yet tankier option. But ever since Dusknoir and then again with Reuniclus, I now prefer tanky Pokemon. I also heard the cliche sweeper is now an endangered species in Competitive battling, the tide is turning to the tanks, rather than sweepers.

Shadow Tag + Toxic + Confuse Ray is something I really want to use, and there's STAB Flamethrower for Poison and Steel types. Throw in Shadow Ball or Hex and let the fun begin. Then again, Gengar can still rip opposition with fairly nasty speed. And tank or no, Chandelure has 5 weaknesses, compared to Gengar's three, and we all know how common Ground and Rock are. Also, for a somewhat bulky attacker, Chandelure's base HP is a disappointing 60, then again, no Pokemon has flawless basestats (unless we consider ubers). Gengar was always in OU with other powerhouses, and I believe Gengar may just cling to OU, until something changes in Pokemon Gray, the R/S remakes or next generation.
Overall, if you're feeling retro and like your sweepers, stay with Gengar. If you're feeling it's time for a change and like something bulkier that can still lay the hurt, go Chandelure.

Gengar because he's faster and the better movepool. Chandelure is a monster with its Sp. Atk. but overall Gengar wins.

I used Chandelure in-game(nicknamed Boo).

Paraico

Ground Pound
Gengar for me, I always wanted one, when I traded it and got a Gengar back I was so happy. Not only that But Gengar has better moves and has Levitate.

Illusion-Master-Zoroark

<-- He will find you
Well Chandelure has the SpA. Of some legends So Chandelure no questions asked...And litwick is freakin cute!!!

Gengar has been 1 of my partners since Firered so Gengar is pretty awesome to but Chandelure has amazing SpA....

Last edited:

Assassin9399

Wanna hug?
Gengar has Levitate (if it wasn't clear yet) and better Speed.

Ghastly was one of my first favorite pokemon. I liked his tongue in Stadium.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Gengar. Gotta love that evil smile.

I think there both very good I just choose gengar to tie up the votes though. didn't shadow tag chandelure get banned yet? I want to vote for haunter or frostlass oddly. I know there not as good.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
I think there both very good I just choose gengar to tie up the votes though. didn't shadow tag chandelure get banned yet? I want to vote for haunter or frostlass oddly. I know there not as good.

shadow tag chandelure does not really exist yet because 1) it hasnt been released to the dream world yet 2) nobody outside of japan can get on it yet

I honestly like both. and chandelures moveset isnt that big of a deal for me, since im going to use STAB fire anyway

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
i chose chandelure, for reasons already stated, both competitive and casual, but mainly because his cry is awesome, and seriously, Ghost/Fire? that just screams awesome.