1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Gengar vs Alakazam

Discussion in 'Older Gens' started by scorpio108, Jul 20, 2011.

1. scorpio108

scorpio108 *click*click*click*

Which do you think is a beter special sweeper?
    Gengar or Alakazam?

2. Blue Harvest

Blue Harvest Banned

Gengar, its not even close.

(though Magic Guard Alakazam will be pretty good whenever its released)

3. MotherRussia

MotherRussia ERMAHGERD, MERGIKERP

Gengar is better because of it's better movepool and 2 immunities, allowing it to come in and start sweeping without taking any damage. Stat-Wise, Alakazam. It has higher special attack AND it's faster. Alakazam w/ it's DW ability could be very good, so Alakazam and Gengar are tied in my eyes.

4. Gengar. Better at pretty much everything.

5. Angeltripper

Angeltripper ♥ Ace ♥

depends. whoever is faster wins, unless the other pokemon has a powerful priority move. if they had focus sash's, it comes down to who is faster at the last attack. or you could just scarf gengar and use destiny bond while alakasam uses psyshock

6. windsong

windsong WEST SIDE

lolwhat

Gengar's better -- more bulk, actual useful resists and immunities, etc.

Magic Guard Zam will be alright once it's released, but it still lacks good immunities, so it's not as good as it could be.

7. hallstromjr

hallstromjr Boston Celtic

If we're talking Alakazam against Gengar..then Alakazam.

Gengar has more variety with its sets, a couple immunities, and a little more bulk, thus making it a better Pokemon.

Magic Guard Alakazam could be good, but it wont make too much of a difference.

8. Porgon-XYZ

Porgon-XYZ Wut are you saying?

Gengar hands down. Now Alakazam may have the advantage when it comes to power but Gengar has actual Immunities and resistences that make it surperior.

9. Or, you could just use Shadow Ball and have a full health Gengar, while the Alakazam is dead.

10. If U Seek Amy

If U Seek Amy i am a god

Gengar, reasons stated above by others.

11. deoxysdude94

deoxysdude94 Just bought a Switch :D

Unless you're talking about Alakazam with Magic Guard, Gengar by far. Much better movepool and resists 2 types. Even with it's special ability, Alakazam still isn't as good(in my eyes at least).

12. StarlightUmbreon

StarlightUmbreon Well-Known Member

Gengar hands down.

13. Simia

Simia Gengeon

I actually like gengar better but I think Alakazam is stronger. When its Alakazm vs gengar alakazm wins because he is faster and psychis is one hit dead. And once I had both in the same team gengar on 62 and alakzam on 58. Alakazm was stronger that time because he survived way more fights than gengar.

14. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

Don't post in Competitive Discussions.

Alakazam pretty much sucks in OU. The sheer base stats are pretty overwhelming, but it really can't switch in, and Psychic sucks offensively. Gengar has that awesomeszosz Ghost typing with Levitate, which lets him come in on stuff like Conkeldurr or whatever and Sub in their faces before either outright destroying them or making their lives misery with Disable or Pain Split. They're kind of similar, but Alakazam really finds its use in the lower tiers.

15. fschulze47

fschulze47 Mighty Marvo

Alakazam's offensive stats, while respectable, don't put him on the same competitive plane as Gengar, not even close.

16. Simia

Simia Gengeon

what do you mean? Why can I not post in the competitve discussions? Well may be I dont really know. I always used Alakzam as my first fighter and he alone was mostly able to defeat at least half of the enemies team. Something gengar wasn't able to do.

17. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

I'll let someone else break your heart.

18. Simia

Simia Gengeon

What are you talking about? If you dont talk then I wont understand. And if I dont understand then I cant possibly get better at things =/

19. Generic User Name

Generic User Name Well-Known Member

Gengar. It's just a better Pokemon.

20. Darkerones

Darkerones SlowpokeHunter

youre obviously just an ingame player. you dont know about the metagame and competitive tiers or how to EV train and IV breed. i too think you should get on Smogon and lurk some before entering a competitive discussion. We are discussing which Pokemon is better in OU,go find out what OU stands for first of all and then come back.