• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gengar

LuckoftheMoose

Moosalicious
"Gengar" - Made by LuckoftheMoose. Please don't rip. First creation of digital art after a long hiatus. I'm happy how it turned out, and decided to share it. Feel free to comment.

gengarfinalcopy.png

Try removing the text and see if it looks any better. My bet is that it will be.
The shape in the foreground, the silky dark purple shape, looks erased over and just assuming the shape was how it was going like it is in my mind, it would have added even more cool depth if you made it go 'behind' the gengar. And if it doesn't work, I'd just take a different shape (C4D, whatever). Also, throw in some more of that cyan on the underside, it looks really cool.

Thermatic

GIMP Geek
The fractals add nice depth, but look over-contrasted. I like it though.

I think overlaying a grunge brush background would give the plain black background some texture and depth.

The font doesn't work with it, definitely change that. And some cyan undershades as above poster suggests could add a nice contrast to it.

I do like it, just offering critique.

LuckoftheMoose

Moosalicious
Try removing the text and see if it looks any better. My bet is that it will be.
The shape in the foreground, the silky dark purple shape, looks erased over and just assuming the shape was how it was going like it is in my mind, it would have added even more cool depth if you made it go 'behind' the gengar. And if it doesn't work, I'd just take a different shape (C4D, whatever). Also, throw in some more of that cyan on the underside, it looks really cool.

Thanks for your feedback. I loved adding that cyan as a contrast, thought it went really well. The only reason I erased over the silky dark purple shapes was to actually add more depth. The depth of putting the focal point a bit further back and have it look like it is coming towards you in a non-3d element. I'll probably remove the text since it doesn't fit perfectly well, but it definitely helped with some of that negative space below Gengar. I needed something more to put under him, but many of my other saves on this piece didn't work too well. So I kept it more empty.

The fractals add nice depth, but look over-contrasted. I like it though.

I think overlaying a grunge brush background would give the plain black background some texture and depth.

The font doesn't work with it, definitely change that. And some cyan undershades as above poster suggests could add a nice contrast to it.

I do like it, just offering critique.

Thanks for your critique, it is heavily appreciated. I have helped several users on many other forums with my own critiques, and always appreciate any kind of constructive criticism. I enjoy telling people not only what they can improve, but also what I like about a piece already, it really helps someone expand off of their creations.

It is a bit over-saturated, but I thought it added an amazing look and highlight to the piece as well. And that is what I was going for with those fractals, thanks for taking notice ^_^

I love that idea of a grudge brush background in this work. Do you have any link suggestions to some already made ones, not too sure on how I could custom make one myself in that style. I wanted to have a bit more of a background then what I had but there were several complications on getting the fractals to appropriately get cut out and go well with the background. In the end I could have tried fading it which I realize now and could possibly work, but I was on a timed schedule for this piece. I do look forward to improving on this work though especially with this suggestion, and also this information helps with my further development.

I'm normally alright with text but wasn't sure necessarily what to do with this one. Any type of font recommendations? I kind of enjoyed the font itself, but was not sure if the effects fit well, and the color and placement were correct. In the end it was to help cover some of the negative space beneath him.

Thanks! It truly means alot, and this is probably one of the best critiques I have seen for anyone in quite sometime. :)

Also, the only 2 things I used that were not custom made by me was the Gengar and the silky purple shapes to the sides. I did, however, not leave them as is and added several effects to the both of them to change it up a bit. The rest was done by my own additions, and I tried to keep it like that for most of this work. Just felt like making a more "home-made" banner over a "semi-homemade" one with this work, for my return from my hiatus.

Thermatic

GIMP Geek
Thanks for your critique, it is heavily appreciated. I have helped several users on many other forums with my own critiques, and always appreciate any kind of constructive criticism. I enjoy telling people not only what they can improve, but also what I like about a piece already, it really helps someone expand off of their creations.

Anytime, I'm no expert, but its still nice to be able to help each other get better.

It is a bit over-saturated, but I thought it added an amazing look and highlight to the piece as well. And that is what I was going for with those fractals, thanks for taking notice ^_^

I do like the saturation, just thought it may have been a bit OTT, that is all. But its not a major issue, just something to maybe take on board in future works.

I love that idea of a grudge brush background in this work. Do you have any link suggestions to some already made ones, not too sure on how I could custom make one myself in that style. I wanted to have a bit more of a background then what I had but there were several complications on getting the fractals to appropriately get cut out and go well with the background. In the end I could have tried fading it which I realize now and could possibly work, but I was on a timed schedule for this piece. I do look forward to improving on this work though especially with this suggestion, and also this information helps with my further development.

Well you could have faded the fractals but that may have compromised the vividity of the fractal, if you use GIMP (and I'm sure photoshop has this function too) you could try overlaying the fractal layer, or if that doesn't give the desired look, try screen, burn, subtract etc until you find the ideal one.

As for grunge brushes, if you use GIMP, I'd recommend Tim's abstract brushes, they look pretty nice, here is a link:

http://project-gimpbc.deviantart.com/art/Abstract-set-9-by-Tim1926-32956086

I'm normally alright with text but wasn't sure necessarily what to do with this one. Any type of font recommendations? I kind of enjoyed the font itself, but was not sure if the effects fit well, and the color and placement were correct. In the end it was to help cover some of the negative space beneath him.

Well, not all banners need text, if it is placed well and has an ideal font then it can look nice, but otherwise, text isn't needed in my opinion. However, if you do use text, you can't usually go far wrong with something simple. Such as Geo Sans Light or Walkway Bold, look them up on Dafont.com if you wish. If you want something bolder I'm sure you could find it on that website anyway.

As for text placement, I'm not so sure the bottom right corner is the best place. Ideally, when placing text you should imagine the signature is divided into 9 equal 3 by 3 squares, you want your text to be somewhere along the 2 vertical lines, that tends to work well, anyway. In the case of your sig, it would be the right vertical line, since gengar is on the left.

That might sound a bit confusing, I can re-explain if you don't get what I mean xD.

Thanks! It truly means alot, and this is probably one of the best critiques I have seen for anyone in quite sometime. :)

Also, the only 2 things I used that were not custom made by me was the Gengar and the silky purple shapes to the sides. I did, however, not leave them as is and added several effects to the both of them to change it up a bit. The rest was done by my own additions, and I tried to keep it like that for most of this work. Just felt like making a more "home-made" banner over a "semi-homemade" one with this work, for my return from my hiatus.

Practically everyone uses a render and fractals and brushes etc. It's the way that you put them together which defines skill. Its nice enough to look at, but not exactly advanced, but since you've not made one in a while its pretty decent. :)