• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gens 1-7 to Gen 8 Competitive Balance Discussion Thread.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Gen 8 Balance Thread
So some of you may have noticed Gens 1 to Gens 4 focused more on balancing mechanics, Gen 4 perfecting not just the mechanics of competitive but also battling in general with the physical and special split. Afterwards there really wasn't anything else to revolutionize as the mechanics were basically perfected to the point that it has become the norm. Later, Gens 5 and up focused more on balancing the Pokemon itself through new Pokemon counters, abilities, new types or buffs or debuffs to types, that sort of thing ever since the Gen 4 power creep started, increasing the number of competitively-viable Pokemon either through simply new Pokemon or balancing old Pokemon.

If you learned anything about how the meta or balance of a game evolves over time in Pokemon, you gotta look back to past metas, see what you think is broken or what others think is broken and how it can be fixed later. For example, the Garchomp issue in Gen 4. Garchomp was OP in Gen 4 and while there were a lot of strong Pokemon in Gen 5, Garchomp was still OP. It didn't took till Gen 6 with the introduction of Fairy-Types, that Garchomp was properly balanced. Let's look at another one. Trick Room. The move was introduced in Generation 4 back when single player competitive was still the dominant form in the meta. Trick Room users were actually pretty rare back than, as most Trick Room users were very fast and fragile Pokemon and there weren't really a lot of noteworthy heavyweights to take advantage of it in singles. It took till Generation 7 that Trick Room became a dominant move that players should be more cautious of thanks to Pokemon like Oranguru or Mimikyu. The next generation will be Generation 8 and if it's following the trend, I expect them to balance a lot of the Pokemon with new Pokemon countering other Pokemon, reworkings to the types, moves, or abilities, or even introduce a new feature in attempt to make more classic Pokemon viable like Mega stones or Z-moves.

So now I'm asking what you guys feel like needs to be balanced? Do you feel like certain types need a buff or debuff, like for example Ice-Types. That's a common talked about type that needs a buff. Maybe you want to see a particular move to be more commonly used in the meta like Trickroom? More Pokemon counters against Pokemon you feel don't have a proper counter such as Landorus or the Ultra Beasts for example? Do you feel that GameFreak still needs to look back on some of the game mechanics over balancing Pokemon instead? Heck. Do you want weather wars to make a return? New Mega Evolutions perhaps? These are the questions I'm expecting. The ones that look in past meta's, take a look at the powercreeping and wonder how do you counter that? I say power creeping as this is the number 1 issue in competitive, really any turn-based game. Looking back at previous meta's, what do you feel is a problem and how would it be fixed in the 8th generation of Pokemon games? Not just Pokemon 2019. The entire 8th generation of Pokemon games.

Also it just occurred to me the people who would likely come here already understand the competitive meta or just competitive fans... so no need to explain the huge powercreeping and balance of Gen 4, the anti-powercreeping and weather wars of Gen 5, the simple but massive changes of Gen 6, and TRICKROOM WARS of Gen 7.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I don't think Landorus needs a direct nerf. If Ice types become more viable one way or the other that'd already push back Landorus. And maybe release some new pokémon with an ability that automatically sets up Mist to counteract Intimidate dominance in doubles. Landorus is also a legendary so it deserves to be up there lorewise. I'd prefer it if they gave some other legendaries some buffs to get up there as well, for instance Regice, Registeel, or Mesprit. Landorus dominates because it has a combination of traits that work out really well. Intimidate is amazing, only two weaknesses, an immunity to Earthquake, it hits relatively hard, and it can pivot with U-Turn.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
How about a type of move, similar to Trick Room, BUT! Instead of reversing speeds. It reverses stat changes, such as Landorus's Intimidate or even Serperior's Contrary ability. Could you imagine the shenanigans people would come up with such a move in double battles :)

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
What about them further exploring the concept of Z-Crytals? Its was the right move compared to Mega Evolutions because

1) Mega Evolutions are limited to one Pokemon

2) They aren't gaurenteed to make a Pokemon better ex. Mega Houndoom

They could move the concept of Z-Moves from a single powerful mega move to Z-Abilities, Z-Effects etc.

So you take a useless ability give it a special Z-Crystal and give it a buff giving a lot of Pokemon that have access to it more usability. And the crytal will be activated like a mega stone so no special move required.

Damp - Gives a buff similar to rain by making the battle field damp (increase water power and works with Swift Swim) but the effect is permanent until the user faints or switches out. So this like a permanent Rain dance without some of its effects. And it also give more options in allowing the player to run a fire type in the team. Also this doesn't stack with Rain Dance.

The 3 starter abilities - Make they more powerful by giving it the effect of increasing attack power (both Sp.Attk and Attk) by 50% which it permanent till Pokémon faints

Anticipation - Super effective moves will always fail against this Pokémon. The move is already pretty useless so this buff gives the Pokemon the alertness of knowing when a super effective move will coming keeping it safe. The only dowside of buffing this ability is Ferrothorn is going to be a lot more scary since it would have no weakness but at the same time it won't be able to run Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet.

This would be limited to useless or weak abilities don't need to make powerful abilities even more powerful.

Or they could also Z-Effect crystals that give the Pokémon special in battle effects that come into effect of the depending on the Pokémon's primary typing. For these effects to work the Pokemon's primary typing will have to be same as the Z-Crystal being used.

Ice types - Blizzard Summons blizzard that reduces speed of every Pokémon in the battle by 50%. Effects stays in effect till Pokémon switches out or faints.

Ghost types - Life steal Steals a small of bit of HP from a Pokémon every time the Ghost Pokémon attacks it.

Grass types - Regrow When the grass types Pokémon it attacked it will regain HP the amount regained will be half of the damage dealt.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
What about them further exploring the concept of Z-Crytals? Its was the right move compared to Mega Evolutions because

1) Mega Evolutions are limited to one Pokemon

2) They aren't gaurenteed to make a Pokemon better ex. Mega Houndoom

They could move the concept of Z-Moves from a single powerful mega move to Z-Abilities, Z-Effects etc.

So you take a useless ability give it a special Z-Crystal and give it a buff giving a lot of Pokemon that have access to it more usability. And the crytal will be activated like a mega stone so no special move required.

Damp - Gives a buff similar to rain by making the battle field damp (increase water power and works with Swift Swim) but the effect is permanent until the user faints or switches out. So this like a permanent Rain dance without some of its effects. And it also give more options in allowing the player to run a fire type in the team. Also this doesn't stack with Rain Dance.

The 3 starter abilities - Make they more powerful by giving it the effect of increasing attack power (both Sp.Attk and Attk) by 50% which it permanent till Pokémon faints

Anticipation - Super effective moves will always fail against this Pokémon. The move is already pretty useless so this buff gives the Pokemon the alertness of knowing when a super effective move will coming keeping it safe. The only dowside of buffing this ability is Ferrothorn is going to be a lot more scary since it would have no weakness but at the same time it won't be able to run Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet.

This would be limited to useless or weak abilities don't need to make powerful abilities even more powerful.

Or they could also Z-Effect crystals that give the Pokémon special in battle effects that come into effect of the depending on the Pokémon's primary typing. For these effects to work the Pokemon's primary typing will have to be same as the Z-Crystal being used.

Ice types - Blizzard Summons blizzard that reduces speed of every Pokémon in the battle by 50%. Effects stays in effect till Pokémon switches out or faints.

Ghost types - Life steal Steals a small of bit of HP from a Pokémon every time the Ghost Pokémon attacks it.

Grass types - Regrow When the grass types Pokémon it attacked it will regain HP the amount regained will be half of the damage dealt.
I'd suggest just making super effective moves have 50% or 25% accuracy instead. With how you have it, it's a buffed up version of filter almost, instead of 25% less damage from super effective attacks, they'd take no damage from them and that'd be outrageous.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
I'd suggest just making super effective moves have 50% or 25% accuracy instead. With how you have it, it's a buffed up version of filter almost, instead of 25% less damage from super effective attacks, they'd take no damage from them and that'd be outrageous.

I didn't want to do the accuracy angle because of bloody SMOGON and their hate boners against "accuracy" and "evasion" and everyone complaining if its brought into battle.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I didn't want to do the accuracy angle because of bloody SMOGON and their hate boners against "accuracy" and "evasion" and everyone complaining if its brought into battle.
Ah that makes sense. Or if anticipation made it that the pokemon had top priority for moves if there is a super effective move going to be used against it.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion

This is literally the reason I can't do competitive anymore. Their whole schtick is just "this important part of this game we allegedly love is wrong and shouldn't be in our game!"

I'd love if there was a competitive alternative to them that was just less, idk, restrictive.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
This is literally the reason I can't do competitive anymore. Their whole schtick is just "this important part of this game we allegedly love is wrong and shouldn't be in our game!"

I'd love if there was a competitive alternative to them that was just less, idk, restrictive.

It's why I play Battle Spot. It's a lot less restrictive in general, although I do wish Battle Spot had more battle options (like 6v6 singles and 6v6 doubles, rated Battle Royal)