• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gerrymandering: Can we call ourselves a Republic/Democracy?

chess-z

campy vampire
I'm feeling quite defeated with regards to politics as of late. Quite frankly, short of violent revolt, I can't see any of the necessary systemic changes going through, due to the direct and consistent attempts of those in power to devalue the vote of the individual. Can we call ourselves democratic when our votes simply don't count?

Scammel

Pretty odd question to be asking after some of the most significant political upheavals in decades across the Western world. The American system is clearly flawed in several respects, but it's also facilitated massive change.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
IIRC USA's system was chosen to be as democratic as Mongolia a few months ago in some list regarding openness of elections, but I can't seem to find where it was said.(Never mind, found it. USA is actually worse than Mongolia, haha)

For the record, while Mongolia is full oligarchs and two party dominance as well as the traditional Central Asian leftovers of USSR, it is still one of the most democratic one of Asian states.

However gerrymandering is the least problem of US democracy. It is just mentioned a lot, alongside popular election reform, because it would allow Democrats take power more easily using the changing demographics of US, predominantly through the millennials(Gen Z is more conservative, which is part of the reason of the rise of alt-right/s).

Mordent99

Banned
Did you vote for a third candidate?

If so, get bent. I warned everyone what would happen if they did.