• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Get The Show On The Road! (277)

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
Its not as bad as Misty's introduction, or Iris for that matter, lol.

Wherever May is, CyberCubed will be there!

Anyway, I liked it after seeing it for the first time yesterday.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'm posting my thoughts. It's funny how you dont comment all the other eps I did. But suddenly when I get to AG you're here in seconds. umm I don't need that, and yeah he does Ash.

Well when this episode first aired back in 2003, I thought it was refreshing. Ash had new clothes, May was entertaining and a nice chance of pace from Misty, and while the episode spent a little too much time on Pikachu being sick, it was understandable and helped set the pace for the Ash/Pikachu dynamic and May's view of it.

It was also quite easy to see that from this first ep, May was going to have a bigger role than Misty, simply by being a beginning trainer picking out her first pokemon. Back then I never thought we'd see a girl beginner on the main cast.

And likewise its a hell of a lot better than Misty and Iris' 2 minute scenes in their first episode...they don't even get any screentime since so much of it is on Ash.

Blessed

Well when this episode first aired back in 2003, I thought it was refreshing. Ash had new clothes, May was entertaining and a nice chance of pace from Misty, and while the episode spent a little too much time on Pikachu being sick, it was understandable and helped set the pace for the Ash/Pikachu dynamic and May's view of it.

It was also quite easy to see that from this first ep, May was going to have a bigger role than Misty, simply by being a beginning trainer picking out her first pokemon. Back then I never thought we'd see a girl beginner on the main cast.

And likewise its a hell of a lot better than Misty and Iris' 2 minute scenes in their first episode...they don't even get any screentime since so much of it is on Ash.

Well whatev's I'm actually glad Misty wasn't a rookie like the other two.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Well whatev's I'm actually glad Misty wasn't a rookie like the other two.

I don't see why it matters, it is far more entertaining to see a character start out at square one and then gradually develop as a better trainer.

Unless you're in a Brock/Cilan type role, Misty and Iris just start off as regular trainers so nothing really changes. Likewise Misty was shown to be a consistently lackluster battler, literally bombing all her Kanto matches and having to rely on Psyduck to save her. It wasn't until Johto where she got decently better, even if her team was still lackluster.

Its nice to go back to May and Dawn's first episodes and see how much they've changed. And it really puts into perspective how fantastic the battles they delivered later in their runs were.

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
I very much appreciated Jessie's contributions to the motto. "What's the point?" made me ROFL.

I also love how "Littleroot Town" is now a seaside metropolis...without a Pokemon center. Good planning, Pokegovernment.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I liked this episode. Seeing Ash in his new sexy outfit, watching Pikachu getting into trouble, the debute of Chicken Little and no more Misty. :Sigh: It was just great back then.

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

Overall good way to introduce Hoenn series. Introduction of May was decent i guess choosing her starter pokemon, and her clueless behavior being very green at start not even liking pokemon was interesting set up for great development she went through later in series. Fried bike was pretty formulatic and predictable, but it served as nice reference to way series started in first place.
So yeah i can say i enjoyed in May as character, even though i missed Misty in cast.

Pikachu getting sick and later cured unintentionally by TR was pretty unnecessary but admittedly seeing him in delirium state biting Ash who showed great deal of care and concern for his partner added that suspense factor making new start abit more dramatic.

p.s. As for debate which is more interesting, i say not starting out as rookie opens ground for deeper and more concrete development since character already has some background behind him, which allows to go on bigger, more complex things being refreshing sometimes when basics are already covered.

But starting out as rookie has its advantages too providing feeling of clean slate being sometimes endearing when you see trainer starting helpless having to go with baby steps, gradually advancing forward. Even though this concept is overused in this series.

Last edited:

7threst

I think this episode beautifully introduced both May, elaborated introduction of Professor Birch (He was introduced by Harrison) and the Hoenn Starter Pokémon. I actually felt quite refreshed and even a little ecstatic with the new things they put in this first episode of the Advanced Series and I think this episode fulfilled its role of introducing stuff really well.

Well, this was May's first episode. She was showed as a newbie, which is good for someone who just starts her journey. Her clumsyness with Mudkip was funny. This episode was a logical start for a new saga. And, of course, I missed Misty when watching this... And I didn't like the bike running gag being used again, it should've been a Misty-only thing. Overall, a fine episode, but not that great, 7/10.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Loved this beginning to a new story in Pokemon, I missed quite a few episodes in the beginning and middle part of the Hoenn saga of AG and a few near the end, the ones I have seen I haven't seen in years so I don't remember them too well. A rewatch couldn't hurt and so it all begins with the first episodes of the AG series.

Get the Show on the Road

I loved May right from the start, the fact she didn't care too much about Pokemon and only wanted to be a trainer to travel truly shows how she was at the beginning. I liked her nonchalant personality, though she was a bit boring at times because we only really saw her casual personality I can't wait until later on. I liked the way she wasn't too mad about her bike being BBQ'd and understood how much danger Pikachu was in, in-comparison to Misty who wanted to ring Ash's neck iirc. So, the bike was destroyed indirectly? I never had a clue. Either way the plot of the episode was engrossing from start to finish.

I really liked the music that played around the Pikachu-electricity-being-siphoned scene, it was a type of playful cute music you'd expect. 4kids' music as well as the Japanese music that played this episode was refreshing compared to DP's and pre-BW2's. The voice-acting was good as well. The dialogue was so utterly refreshing that I watched without fast-forwarding here and there for the first time in ages. The usual "Yay let's go", "Yay friends", "Yay battles" stuff we get to hear about every other week in DP and some parts of BW was dealt with from the beginning for the most part, leaving lots of room for a colorful palette of lines and dialogue.

I found TR somewhat entertaining in this episode too. Jessie going through her mid-life crisis and her being all "Is there any point to my life aside from chasing Pikachu?" was a nice minuscule side-plot. At the end when Pikachu sent them packing with that excess electricity-fueled Thunderbolt her being all "THIS AMAZING PIKACHU IS ALL THE BOSS WOULD WANT!" dramatically was priceless. For some reason I thought it was really really ridiculous everyone in this episode kept saying Pikachu would explode, though that showed how urgent the situation was.

May picking Torchic was adorable, nice foreshadowing there for Ash also. ;P

Ash didn't exactly seem too keen on traveling with May, but still her motives and reasons for following him were pretty funny as well as their interactions so it was a good set-up episode that did a good job of not doing too much at once. How ironic was it TR fixed their own problem with Pikachu's electricity excess? Liked that. XD

Hoenn must have a shitty Pokegoverment, Littleroot is a seaside metropolis.....without a Pokemon Center.

Last edited:

Blessed

Not the best of episode, I didn't care about May's introduction. And um why doesn't Little Root Town have a Pokemon Center? I honestly can't with this town, so you're trying to imply that the residents/Pokemon who live there never get sick? What is this. Seeing Mudkip use Water Gun on May was hilarious to see, I really enjoyed it. Professor Birch seems really cool and bold, I liked that. Another bike being destroyed was unnecessary, this should have been a Misty thing only so that really annoyed me. LOL seeing Pikachu/Torchic playing was so funny to me, mostly because this is their only moment they have together. Lastly, seeing Jessie reflect on her life with the Pikachu capture was really nice and interesting. Would have loved to see more to be honest, since she's so funny.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
And um why doesn't Little Root Town have a Pokemon Center? I honestly can't with this town, so you're trying to imply that the residents/Pokemon who live there never get sick? What is this.

I guess they just followed the Gen 3 games, where LRT doesn't have a Pokemon Center.

Last edited:
I wasn't actually focused on May at all this episode. I was far more worried about Ash rushing Pikachu to Professor Birch's lab because it was very unhealthy due to TRio's magnet in the prior episode. So yeah, May is...kind of a ditzy brat when we first meet her in the anime. She's pretty hot for a 10 year old girl, but I can't say she left a good first impression on me when I first saw this episode. However, I did like her adventurous spirit about traveling. She was also pretty hilarious when trying to rescue Professor Birch using a Mudkip.

Veronica Taylor took over the role in the English dub, and I was very pleased with that. I was expecting yet another Lisa Ortiz (how I absolutely loathe her voices in this show: as much as I like her in Slayers, "UGH" is the best way to describe her in the Pokemon anime) role here. She starts off a bit shaky, but granted, she starts getting more comfortable in the role as she gets more familiar with it (the same can be said of her successor in the dub, Michele Knotz).

This was a good episode for Ash. A really sweet one, actually. Call me selfish but at this time his issue was really dire and you couldn't help but feel sad for him and Pikachu. That's why I liked this episode so much: it was a great way to kick off AG on a high note in his case. I also liked Professor Birch and enjoyed Dan Green voicing him greatly. The only regret I have about AG is that it dropped Misty and started certain character replacement, as opposed to merely retiring all older characters at the end of Johto.

Re-watching this episode also makes me miss Veronica Taylor as Ash and May, Eric Stuart as James, Rachael Lillis as Jessie, and Maddie B. as Meowth. Good times...good times.

Rating: 95/100 (A)

Zamin

New music, new girl on a bike, what's all that about?

It was funny when she crashed though and said that she should have with a helmet.

Wow, the theme is so nostalgic, I haven't seen that in a while. It reminds me of when I used to wake up early on Saturday mornings to watch it with my sister.

There was some nice character development from jessie when the ship was pulling up.

Prof Birch is so cool and I am loving seeing all of these new Pokemon everywhere!

Not Ash destroying another bike though, well it was Pikachu this time haha

I liked how Birch told May to help him the way you do in the games.
Whenever a new girl has a bike, I think we all know what the fate of said bike will be...

Kind of disturbing how they said Pikachu could explode if it can't get rid of all that excess energy.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I screamed when that Duskull randomly showed up and spooked May; I'd have had the same reaction as she did. I loved how fast Professor Birch drove in this episode, but the whole "Pikachu is sick" drama bored me to death tbh. I at least cackled when Professor Birch landed on Poochyena and when Mudkip blasted May with Water Gun. It was funny.

phanpycross

God-king
One of the best first episodes in the series, May is instantly likeable, and Ash essentially being at his seakest point yet makes the "pikachu is sick" more bearable, since Ash is dead meat without him.