• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Get The Show On The Road! (277)

I had forgotten how this episode went, but it's probably the low point of Ash's entire life. Especially compared to later series.

Ash was defeated in Johto, all his friends split up, Gary moved on, and he no longer had direction. He goes off to Hoenn alone by ferry, and Pikachu is not only sick, his LIFE IS IN DANGER.

It's also a strange way to start the Hoenn saga in general, given this was intended to be a fresh start for the franchise and aimed at new kids. It starts off with Ash and a sick Pikachu tied to a previous saga, they would never do something like that. Besides that, it's also weird in retrospect how low-key May's introduction is in the series. This was the first new female companion ever, and aside from introducing herself, she's not given much focus at all for the majority of the episode. Without the knowledge that she would be a main character, she could have just come across as a random filler character for the episode. Maybe the writers were just reluctant to see how she would be received after Misty?

Leonhart

Imagineer
usagi10000 said:
Besides that, it's also weird in retrospect how low-key May's introduction is in the series. This was the first new female companion ever, and aside from introducing herself, she's not given much focus at all for the majority of the episode. Without the knowledge that she would be a main character, she could have just come across as a random filler character for the episode. Maybe the writers were just reluctant to see how she would be received after Misty?

I don't know why her introduction was more mundane than it should've been, although I still appreciate the fact that she was introduced by name at the beginning of this episode, unlike Kasumi who just randomly appeared in the first episode and didn't mention her name until the second episode if I remember right.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Just watched this. Pretty good. Had about the same feel as the original series stuff. I think I've seen a bit of this before, but not the whole thing.

It's a bit intense seeing Pikachu run away & try to attack Ash; I like that. Most of the jokes are funny. Interesting that Jessie is thinking of giving up Team Rocket. May is much calmer than Misty, but not boring. Seeing the world isn't a bad goal, tho she should realize having a Pokémon can help with that.

Nice water color backgrounds. I noticed Pikachu's attacks are no longer done in backlit animation. Anyone know why that changed? Were there budget cuts, or was it just a style thing? They don't look bad, but I think I like the backlit animation a bit better.

Alright, two more series to go, starting with AG! I love this series! Let me just say the dub themes are ELITE. And Advance Adventure is Hoenn, the opening.
May seems like an aloof character when it comes to Pokémon in the beginning, and I like how she wants to travel the world.
I WANNA BE A HEROOOOOOOOOOOO
Jessie's weird reaction to Littleroot Town is never really explained.
Birch is being chased by Poochyena, nothing you can do there, but I find it silly.
MUDKIP!!!!!!!!! PRECIOUS BABY AND BEST STARTER AND IT WATER GUNS MAY'S FACE LOL
TRio saves Pikachu, ironic
"Treecko, is that a Water type?" stupid Ash
Torchic is a cutie
Hmm, May excited to go with Ash, seems suddenly shippy, at least in the dub
Great beginning episode for Hoenn. I see a lot of similarities here with the first episodes of XY:
No legendaries in the first episode
May and Serena both left for unorthodox reasons, May to travel and Serena because of uh wanting to see Ash... they both get fire starters as well
Ash jumping off to save Pikachu
AG and XY have a lot of similarities in general