• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gettin' The Bugs Out! (146)

Torpoleon

This battle was a cake walk. With Charizard it would be REALLY EASY! I'm not a fan of bug tyoes and Ash had Pokemon hat could beat bug types, so this gym was easy.

schrik

hysterical fan
Good episode. too bad ash let his charizard go before this episode. But still good battle with an originaly gym.

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I was surprised at how fast his Metapod was though.

I thought that all it did was harden its shell.

Hibachi

Grass Pokemon Expert
I liked the gym battle against Bugsy. It's interesting to learn that Cyndaquil can't start its flame immediatly. Then it was nice to see Chikorita beat out Spinarak, even though it clearly had the disadvantage. The Metapod was very surprising in how fast it was. I remember when Ash had a Metapod, and it was horrible. Scyther was amazing, and I thought it was the best pokemon in the match. However, Ash got lucky in having Cyndaquil use flamethrower from overhead in my opinion. Oh well, it is still good to see Ash win his second Johto badge.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
When I was younger, I automatically thought that Bugsy was a boy. Now, many years later, I can see why people find him sexually ambiguous. HGSS sprite does not help, lol

I liked poor Cyndaquil, and I was sorry when it couldn't warm up fast enough. The way it defeated Scyther, spinning in the air and using Flamethrower, that was cool. And more Apricorn Pokéballs, woohoo.

Good episode, but really one of the least memorable of Ash's Gym Battles.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Great gym battle, Cyndaquil was amazing, for his first gym it's fine.

And Bugsy wasn't strong as i thought.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Oh my God, I loved Bugsy. He was so natural.

Loved his Gym. The forest layout was unlike any other gyms in the anime. Though I think his anime team was still weak. Spinark was ok. But Metapod and it's Tackle were unbalanced.

Scyther losing after Swords Dance was disappointing. Well at least Ash got his badge. 9/10

Afan

I think that it was very intresting episode to watch.
My favorite Johto Pokemon, Chikortia got its first win in a pokemon gym battle.
Cydaquill needs to work on its flame a little bit.
I also liked the battle between Ash and Bugsy
9/10

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I forgot that Chikorita fought and won against Spinarak despite the type disadvantage :/

Cyndaquil's flame issue almost lost Ash the battle but I'm sure it'll find a way to improve that.

JohnLee

This battle was a cake walk. With Charizard it would be REALLY EASY! I'm not a fan of bug tyoes and Ash had Pokemon hat could beat bug types, so this gym was easy.

Which is why Charizard left early on in Jotho. I was really worried about cyndaquil, but it prevailed with Ash's brilliant jump idea! :)

saar

Shiny Flygon
Finally Chikorita got a victory in a gym battle, in the 1st gym it was used and fell down pretty fast.
Scyther was pretty powerfull. Besides, Bugsy trained his pokemon well, Metapod had beaten Chikorita and Scyther did the same with Pikachu. It's not an easy thing, But I wonder why his Metapod didn't evolve into Butterfree. Probably because they didn't want another Flying pokemon after the 1st gym.

Misty being afraid of bugs and accidentally pushing the ladder away was funny.

A nice battle. Exciting and realistic. Ash had a hard time, even though Chikorita won against Spinarak, bypassing type adventages and disadventages.

Team Rocket were awesome as always, but now they were even funnier than average.

Milotic

Vernikova

Champion
Bugsy was pretty competent in this episode which always catches me off guard because I imagine Bugsy as a push over really. It was a great battle though and it was nice to Cyndaquil get an important win like this.

G50

No longer posting
This episode was great! Bugsy's Metapod was very strong for a Metapod. It was cool seeing Chikorita defeat Spinerak even with her dual weakness against it. The way Cyndaquil defeated Scyther was awesome!

80/100

Aquarelle

Staff member
I saw this episode before I ever played GSC, and because of this, I have always knwon that Bugsy is a boy. I'm so glad I never made the mistake of thinking he's a girl. ^__^

Anyway, I was happy for Cyndaquil when it beat Scyther. It worked really hard in the battle, so I felt the win was well deserved. Also, I really liked Bugsy's Spinarak, I don't know why though, I just always remembered it.

TheEpicGoomba

Great episode.Glad to see Chikorita beat something. Cyndaquil did a very good job for beating Scyther it worked very hard.

9/10

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
I'm surprised nobody's picked up on the glaring error in the dub department - right after Chikorita is defeated, Brock says something to the effect of Ash having two choices, Cyndaquil or...Pikachu. Ash grits his teeth and says, "Alright, I'll save Chikorita for later." Well...Ash...it just lost...