• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gettin' The Bugs Out! (146)

I'm surprised nobody's picked up on the glaring error in the dub department - right after Chikorita is defeated, Brock says something to the effect of Ash having two choices, Cyndaquil or...Pikachu. Ash grits his teeth and says, "Alright, I'll save Chikorita for later." Well...Ash...it just lost...

I did notice, but never mentioned here. It's not the first time, against Drake (Orange Islands), Ash said the same when Lapras was defeated. In the games, revives are fine, but in the anime, if it would be possible, it would be really unfair!

Calamity™

aka Lamia
It's Elekid!
I really liked the Bugsy battle. The Spinarak using its String Shot to dodge moves was smart! Getting beaten by a Metapod is just shameful on so many levels. I think Bugsy should have won that battle. Ash had already used Cyndaquil and called it back just when Bugsy was going to KO it with Poison Sting. For that reason I don't think it's fair that Ash got to use it again. This battle would have been so much easier if he still had Charizard. When Misty said "aren't we forgetting something?" I thought they were talking about a Team Rocket appearance, seeing as they didn't really do much at all in this episode! But we saw them at the end anyway! lol

It's Elekid!
I really liked the Bugsy battle. The Spinarak using its String Shot to dodge moves was smart! Getting beaten by a Metapod is just shameful on so many levels. I think Bugsy should have won that battle. Ash had already used Cyndaquil and called it back just when Bugsy was going to KO it with Poison Sting. For that reason I don't think it's fair that Ash got to use it again. This battle would have been so much easier if he still had Charizard. When Misty said "aren't we forgetting something?" I thought they were talking about a Team Rocket appearance, seeing as they didn't really do much at all in this episode! But we saw them at the end anyway! lol

I agree with you that Bugsy deserved to win this battle, but Cyndaquil wasn't defeated. Sure, it was definitely going to be defeated, but it wouldn't be fair to consider Cyndaquil defeated while he wasn't.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I agree with you that Bugsy deserved to win this battle, but Cyndaquil wasn't defeated. Sure, it was definitely going to be defeated, but it wouldn't be fair to consider Cyndaquil defeated while he wasn't.

Yeah but then is it fair to recall your Pokémon back just as it's about to be KO'd, just so that you can use it later? If that was the case most trainers wouldn't need to train a Pokémon's evasive skills much, they'd just need to recall them before they faint. The way Ash recalled Cyndaquil was similar to forfeiting that Pokémon in my opinion, that's why I think it's unfair he got to call it back. And I know the games shouldn't be compared with the animé, but even in the games you have to be hit before you can recall!

Blessed

A good episode, Misty being afraid of bug pokemon was hilarious. I'm glad Misty retorted Bugsy when he called her ignorant. The battle was good especially with Cyndaquil & Scyther, Ash used a smart move. Lastly I'm glad Ash & Misty got their lure balls, & Brock got his heavy ball from Maizy

7threst

I'm someone that steadfastly believes that Pokémon gyn battles since Kanto can't be boring to watch. Therefore, I enjoyed this episode and Bugsy only deserved one epiosde, because this was the third episode in Azalea town. Enough in my opinion.

Also, I enjoy seeing Ash using more and more his Johto Pokémon and considering how Ash's original Kanto Pokémon have been reduced, this is a good transmission to seeing more of Ash's Johto Pokémon in action.

Why did Ash say he would "save Chikorita for later" when it was clearly defeated?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I liked that the writers were actually consistent with Misty's fear of Bug-types when she entered the Azalea Town Gym. I also cackled at Team Rocket's plant disguises, especially Meowth dressed as grass and Victreebel being in that scene to complete the illusion. Too bad that Brock never used the Heavy Ball that Maisy gave him.

*sighs*

Well, to start this off, I miss the 4Kids English dub crew from these episodes: Ash actually sounds like a 10 year old boy and not a chain smoking woman like he does in the TPCi dub, Brock actually sounds like a teenager and not an old man like he does in the TPCi dub, Misty doesn't sound like Iris, James doesn't sound like a grandpa with a cold, Meowth sounds like an actual cat, Jessie sounds like a woman, the intro/opening is actually...amazing for this season, the dub BGM isn't making my ears hurt when the OST is replaced, and the script is actually solid with quite a bit of...FUNNY...lines? Makes me sad how good we once had it, honestly.

Bugsy is obviously Tara Jayne using her voice she used for every little kid, but it still fits the character, so I don't mind, Cyndaquil was good here, Chikorita was funny when it tried to latch onto Ash, and even Pikachu was decent here.

95/100 (A)

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Good Gym battle episode.It was cool to finally see Metapod actually attacking.Cyndaquil's attack on Scyther from above was also a clever idea.
9.5/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Ha ha when I first saw this episode I thought Bugsy was a girl cuz of his voice. I liked the gym battle cuz Bugsy's small bug types like Metapod and Spinarak impressed me and also Cyndaquil's finishing move against Scyther was stupendous. :3

Gillachu

Banned
I didn't know that Metapod could move so fast, so I laughed when it began using Tackle and camouflaging itself. :cool:

JudySpell

Banned
Bugsy had such a generic personality but his Scyther was overpowered as expected & I was a little miffed at how Cyndaquil won the last match but whatevs. 6.5/10

Cyndaquil's spinning flame attack was very smart, which shows how Ash is good at coming up with great plans. Bugsy seemed condescending though.

UmbrionKnight

This episode was boring for me. It was so lack luster compared to the other gyms battles up to this point. It felt so slow paced.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It was interesting to see that Cyndaquil can't start its flame immediately and it was nice to see Chikorita beat Spinarak even though she had the disadvantage. Scyther was amazing and I thought it was the best Pokemon in the match.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The Hiwada Town Gym's greenhouse design reminded me of the Tamamushi City Gym, and Tsukushi was snarky when he met Satoshi, which I enjoyed. Kasumi getting bugged by Tsukushi's Bug-types made me smile, and I thought that Chie giving Satoshi's friends some of Gantetsu's Bonguri Monster Balls was nice.