• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gettin' The Bugs Out! (146)

ZilverLox

Banned
Ash did pretty good in this episode and at least Chikorita was able to beat a Pokemon she isn't strong against. I also liked Team Rocket's jazzy motto, and their trying to sneak into the gym dressed as plants. I still can't help wondering why Victreebel randomly pops out of its Pokeball during that scene, though.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I didn't know that Metapod could move so fast, so I laughed when it began using Tackle and camouflaging itself. :cool:

I agree that Metapod's speed skills were cool and it was just refreshing to see one actually inflict damage for once instead of it simply using defensive moves like Harden. :3

Alloutℯ

Banned
I thought that Ash versus Falkner was better than Ash versus Bugsy, but I will give props to Cyndaquil for beating a freaking Scyther. I felt bad for Team Rocket though when they got stuck in the Gym at night.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I felt bad for Team Rocket though when they got stuck in the Gym at night.

I laughed at how Team Rocket spent part of this episode underground, especially when they dug upwards and ended up getting zapped by Pikachu's electrical attack hee hee. Also, I liked when we saw them disguised as plants and trees when they were spying. :D

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I still laugh at the fact that Maisy or whatever Kurt's grandkid was named gave Brock a Heavy Ball at the end, one that he'll never use. :c

Vipsoccermaster

I still laugh at the fact that Maisy or whatever Kurt's grandkid was named gave Brock a Heavy Ball at the end, one that he'll never use.
Kurt's granddaughter is named Maizie.

Good gym match between Bugsy and Ash. Ash used clever strategies with Chikorita and Cyndaquil. In the case of Chikorita, she lucked out even with a disadvantage. Cyndaquil spinning and using Flamethrower was indeed a clever strategy on Scyther. Team Rocket was hilarious as usual.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Good gym match between Bugsy and Ash. Ash used clever strategies with Chikorita and Cyndaquil. In the case of Chikorita, she lucked out even with a disadvantage. Cyndaquil spinning and using Flamethrower was indeed a clever strategy on Scyther. Team Rocket was hilarious as usual.

Hinoarashi's spinning Flamethrower tactic was certainly fantastic, and it showed how Satoshi can come up with great strategies in the middle of intense battles. As for the Rocket-dan, I chuckled when they disguised themselves as plants.

Daizy

I call you honey
Metapod moving made me think that we'd see it evolve but nope. Scyther was Bugsy's main fighter instead and when it used Swords Dance as a shield I thought Bugsy was being super smart.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Metapod moving made me think that we'd see it evolve but nope. Scyther was Bugsy's main fighter instead and when it used Swords Dance as a shield I thought Bugsy was being super smart.

Tsukushi's Strike's Swords Dance strategy was ironically the reason why he lost the Gym match, however. He should've deflected the attack instead of spinning.

The Azalea Gym reminded me of Erika's Gym except with Bug Pokemon instead of Grass types. I didn't think that Ash's Cyndaquil would come in handy since the show wasn't always predictable when it came to type advantages at this point, but he did so well against Scyther. Too bad that Ash used Chikorita which was a very sloppy move on his part. He should've used Squirtle instead since it was stronger/not weak against Bugs.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Too bad that Ash used Chikorita which was a very sloppy move on his part. He should've used Squirtle instead since it was stronger/not weak against Bugs.

Eh, Ash had used Squirtle so much in the past that I didn't mind his decision to use Chikorita. Even though Chikorita was at a disadvantage she deserved the chance to fight.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
Too bad that Ash used Chikorita which was a very sloppy move on his part. He should've used Squirtle instead since it was stronger/not weak against Bugs.

I do find it odd that Satoshi didn't at least consider Zenigame for the Hiwada Gym battle, and it's even weirder when you consider just how rarely Zenigame showed up in these early Jouto episodes to begin with. It made his release a few episodes after this one seem more reasonable in hindsight.

The Azalea Gym being full of trees and bug Pokemon was great and I thought that Bugsy's design made him look feminine so I was also confused about whether he was a guy or a girl especially because his voice was so gender neutral. I liked that Bugsy used a Metapod against Ash because it's an unusual battler and I thought that Team Rocket getting stuck in the Gym at night in the end was good karma for them digging under the battlefield. 7/10

Good gym battle and I liked the parts with Spinarak and Scyther. Here's how I think the gym battle should have gone if its a 3v3:
The Spinarak battles stay the same.
Scyther is Bugsy's second Pokémon and it defeats both Chikorita and Heracross.
Cyndaquil defeats Scyther and Ledian.