• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gettin' Twiggy With It (473)

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
ah, this is one of my favorite episodes, like blue snover already mentioned it's cute but also funny to see how turtwig bites on to ash's head:p

Deicario

I believe I can fly.
It's a nice, little episode with interesting development and bearing less than expected similarity to the Bulbasuar episode. But who didn't just think that Turtwig would join Ash at the end?
7.5/10.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
God, this episode was terrible.

Not only was it a blatant rehash of Bulbasaur's capture episode, it was a lot worse and a lot more mundane.

You know, I hate it when important episodes feel like bad fillers. Its because of this that you can't skip them when you do your rewatch of the show.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Here we are at Day 5, and I'll mix English and Japanese names as I damn well please. At times rewatching some of these is a pleasure; other times, it's a masochistic chore. Here's DP's first instance of the latter...

Naetle was a Pokemon often slandered for not having any disitnguishable personality, especially in comparison to Bulbasaur, Chikorita, and Treecko, all of which were very vibrant. Even its quirk of clamping Satoshi's head was dropped after only a few episodes. It is only fitting, then, that its capture episode feels about as Johto-esque as the Pokemon itself. I cannot think of a more formulaic capture episode. A) Satoshi meets territorial starter Pokemon. B) He attempts to befriend it because he wants to capture it. C) Insignificant COTD does nothing significant. D) TR steals Pokemon. E) Ash saves said Pokemon, thus gaining its trust. F) Pikachu battles Pokemon. G) Satoshi captures Pokemon.

Most capture episodes are indeed formulaic (though the Greggle one coming up is pretty fun), but this episode does not even pretend to do anything different than not only Bulbasaur's capture, but was about as mundane as what we used to see in Johto. The old lady was a very uninteresting character, but I do give this episode some minor points for Masukippa's explosion. Simply put, this episode's main problem was a decade worth of age in which the same thing time and again becomes incredibly stale. Talk about Pokemon being a repetitive show all you want; the story pieces are generally told differently, however. This was not, and was a bad omen for Naetle in the future, who continued to have the personality of Cyndaquil (i.e. None). This continues to be my least favorite capture episode of Sinnoh.

D+

Torpoleon

Turtwig is cool and like how it bites Ashes head and us a leader.(like me lol) Woth the episode title, I think when they say it at the end of the song they should have said it cooler, with more pizzaz.(spelt right?)

The only thing I found annoying about this episode is that they never did find out what exactly had happened to that Linoone. It looked like it had just been attacked by something, yet they didn't even want to know what? What they should have done is leave Team Rocket out of this episode and have a big brawl between Turtwig and the pokemon that hurt Linoone; saying it was an Aggron, Tyranitar, or some other big brute like that.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Turtwig was cool, like the last grass type of ash, it tackled ash...
And The battle with Pikachu was great

STICKTOPIA

yay turtwig!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Turtwig reminded me too much of Bulbasaur and that's sort of bad. I didn't like this episode very much, because it was basically recycled from a similar Kanto episode about a Grass Starter. Still seemed to be quite Filler-y despite Turtwig being caught by Ash, which was something we pretty much all expected to happen. 3/10.

Last edited:

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I hate the episode title because it reminds me of that horrible Will Smith song lol. Turtwig reminded me of Bulbasaur...a lot, but I don't mind. Pretty good episode.

JohnLee

I hate the episode title because it reminds me of that horrible Will Smith song lol. Turtwig reminded me of Bulbasaur...a lot, but I don't mind. Pretty good episode.

Haha me too! A Pokemon episodes should not remind me of Will Smith! I didn't really mind at all that turtwig was so much like bulbasaur. It reminded me of the good ole days and that suits me. I was hoping that Ash would get a turtwig!

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
It definitely did remind me of the Bulbasaur capture episode (Chimchar in a way was kind of similar to Charmander's episode but both were good). This episode wasn't that great really, it was okay however. They even had an Oddish in this episode much like the one in Bulbasaur's episode.

Turtwig biting Ash's head is funny, now he knows what James feels like when that happens, they should have kept it going when it evolved. [Spoil] And then evolved into Torterra, can you imagine a Torterra chasing Ash trying to bite on his head lol and Ash running away[/Spoil]

saar

Shiny Flygon
This episode was cool... It reminded me the episodes with Treeck, Chikorita and Bulbasaur, and here too, the Grass pokemon defended the wild weak pokemon as Linoone and Geodude. But of course it was kind.:)

~Platinum~

<- Caught it!
And then evolved into Torterra, can you imagine a Torterra chasing Ash trying to bite on his head lol and Ash running away[/Spoil]

Hahaha that would never get old.
So, five episodes into Sinnoh and Ash already has a party of four pokemon. In my Pearl version I didn't have four pokemon in my party until I reached the Eterna Forest. Seems like the writers are trying to cram everything important into these first few episodes. Well, Ash is continuing his catch-the-grass-type-starter-pokemon-from-each-generation streak. I like how in the Pikachu vs Turtwig battle Turtwig used Bite on Pikachu's tail and Pikachu Iron Tailed Turtwig into a tree. That was my favorite part. Also, Turtwig biting Ash's head was kind of cute.