• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Getting a Legend?! Search for Suicune, the Guardian Deity of Water!! (1142)

ShadowDragon16

So why exactly can’t Ash catch a legendary? What little we see of the WPC I’m sure there are some trainers here who have legendaries.

Will Gohs capture of succulent devalue anything ash does from here on out?

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
For me it's not Goh himself that's the issue so much as what he does and how he does it and how many questions it raises about the series.

Namely why throughout the series has Team Rocket employed so many expensive traps to get pokemon if all you usually have to do is throw a normal poke ball accurately? For most of the series the answer was that catching a pokemon without weakening it first either required it to be a naturally weak pokemon, pure luck, or it allowing itself to be caught. Goh upends that for the majority of his captures and raises the question of why nobody else in the pokemon world seems to be doing what he is if its really this easy? Heck, catching pokemon in the actual Pokemon Go game is tougher a lot of the time.

Ash accomplishes a lot of things other trainers much older than him haven't, but in his case we get a lot of explanations (be it destiny, being something of a prodigy trainer, sometimes even luck), but Goh is just a fairly smart kid who decided he wanted to catch all pokemon for vaguely defined reasons (i.e. if he wanted to learn about them then actually raising them through their evolutionary stages would likely tell him more than just catching each stage) and somehow is able to get whatever he wants the majority of the time. Why is catching a ton of pokemon considered a noteworthy accomplishment if its as easy as Goh makes it look? Most of all, how can Goh's abilities grow when the only skill usually required is throwing a ball at a target?

Goh getting Suicune the way he did in this episode is fine in a vacuum I guess, but it makes one ask why keeping a legendary willingly around is such a rare event if all you really need to do is be nice to one and help it.

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
For me it's not Goh himself that's the issue so much as what he does and how he does it and how many questions it raises about the series.

Namely why throughout the series has Team Rocket employed so many expensive traps to get pokemon if all you usually have to do is throw a normal poke ball accurately? For most of the series the answer was that catching a pokemon without weakening it first either required it to be a naturally weak pokemon, pure luck, or it allowing itself to be caught. Goh upends that for the majority of his captures and raises the question of why nobody else in the pokemon world seems to be doing what he is if its really this easy? Heck, catching pokemon in the actual Pokemon Go game is tougher a lot of the time.

Ash accomplishes a lot of things other trainers much older than him haven't, but in his case we get a lot of explanations (be it destiny, being something of a prodigy trainer, sometimes even luck), but Goh is just a fairly smart kid who decided he wanted to catch all pokemon for vaguely defined reasons (i.e. if he wanted to learn about them then actually raising them through their evolutionary stages would likely tell him more than just catching each stage) and somehow is able to get whatever he wants the majority of the time. Why is catching a ton of pokemon considered a noteworthy accomplishment if its as easy as Goh makes it look? Most of all, how can Goh's abilities grow when the only skill usually required is throwing a ball at a target?

Goh getting Suicune the way he did in this episode is fine in a vacuum I guess, but it makes one ask why keeping a legendary willingly around is such a rare event if all you really need to do is be nice to one and help it.

TR aren't smart though, they could easily be out there catching pokemon the legit way, but instead they are hung up on Pikachu and only stealing pokemon when Ash is around.

Destiny, prodigy and luck aren't exactly great reasons, Ash is portrayed as a hard worker and unconventional though. Over time the anime has been having Goh ape Ash's fighting style, though he is still clearly inferior. That doesn't explain his captures though.

We only know how on screen captures happened, but haven't there been a number of instant captures in the past: Bounsweet, Pineco, Cyndaquil, Tauros, Totodile (?). Darmanitan is an outlier in Goh's captures for being fully evolved and seemingly hostile. But in general, we haven't seen enough to know if simpler captures are something that is restricted to Goh or just a new take on the anime setting.

The majority of Goh's captures have been first stage. He only captured the lines for the Kanto bug's and Flygon, so I believe the writers are planning to have him evolve his other ones.

I don't think Goh's ball throwing is going to level up, he will likely continue to catch weak pokemon easily to evolve, and increase his battling abilities to fight either powerful single stage pokemon or legendaries.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
It's probably because of his hair clips and weird eyelashes that he even gets any fan art.
Yeah, the shipping between them was pretty strong too. In some fanarts, Serena even sadly calls him "Ash's boyfriend".

Mew29240

But in general, we haven't seen enough to know if simpler captures are something that is restricted to Goh or just a new take on the anime setting.

I don't think we'll get an answer to this since any non-Goh captures we'll get will likely have the anime-typical befriend -> catch scenario we've seen in past series. Any one that doesn't could easily be tied to plot-related reasons or happen off-screen (like TRio catching that Chewtle).

On the other hand, the only way I can see another character having the "simpler captures" quality would be a rival for Goh who's also trying to catch every kind of Pokemon, but then one could say they have that benefit so that they could be reasonably threatening.

thor94

after what they pulled with Go. even if some people couldn't like it, better for the writers to have ash also permanently catch his own true legendary (means one of generations main or generation trio) in a future JN episodes, they could use the same free roaming excuse as Go to not make ash too much OP, but at least allow him to have a permanent true legendary ownership officially hard recorded in his trainer file. no hand shaking deal like solgaleo or season final release like naganadel but one ash will be able to call whatever he want even in gen 9, 10 or more.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Are those really hair clips? To this day I thought those were just red highlights LOL

They are highlights. One episode even had a frame where it was kind of messed up his hair thus confirming it.

Goh's mom has this highlights as well.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Great episode. That was the best way to handle a legendary capture, to be honest (and I was one of the people who doubted that Goh would get Suicune). Not only was there a reasonable explanation as for why Suicune was weakened, but Goh definitely did his best and earned Suicune's respect. He earned that Suicune. And on top of it all, Goh was willing to let Suicune go, because he understands that Suicune has an important role to play, which was very noble of him.

And the very concept of letting Goh "keep" Suicune, while Suicune keeps roaming the world is pretty clever, because it saves from Suicune from rotting away as a labmon, but it can also appear to assist Goh in future episodes when necessary. I'm very pleased with the outcome of this episode.

LazySpy

Kimty
So I'm gonna make the same meme I did on Bulbagarden...

Same energy.

Just watch the video in the tweet and you'll understand what I'm talking about perfectly.

c1b6783551375c3821b1876d3b7ba18d.png

8031581458781513179d76e20513a92e.png

It's really one of the few issues I have with this episode. Suicine's acting really weird throughout. I get that he's supposed to be weakened in this scene, but that's not exactly a solid justification for standing still and doing nothing about a very obvious threat for like, what, 30 seconds?

I enjoyed the episode just fine otherwise, though.