• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

getting back into writing...

I want to get back into writing, but when I try, I end up not having anything to say; despite having the story replayed in my head many times.

For example: I recently had an idea about Ghetsis and a girl stealing a book about time and space travel from Team Galactic.

I also had an idea about a male character of mine making it a goal to be a beauty contest master (I made it up;yes it's a different than contests because they also judge the trainers appearance as well as the Pokemon themselves and they battle on narrow battle fields on top of liquid tarp)

Any tips on how I can try to write again? Do I just keep replaying it until I finally get it right?

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
Heh, I have that problem. Even back when you were your last username, I just replayed the story again and again to make sure everything was fine... But couldn't be pressed to come up with anything new.

I've found that a good way to break out of that is to think of some other story you might wanna write for a duration. That helps new ideas get circulated, and, hey hey, some of them may very well fit into the first story. Or the other way around.

Just my two bits, but it has worked for me in the past.

Firebrand

Indomitable
The best way to do it is just start writing. Tell the story you want to tell, how you think it should be told. From what you've said up there, you've got a basic premise you want to work with, an outline to go off of, and a basic starting point. Just sit down and get started. Maybe you'll hate it and scrap it when you get a little ways in, but you tried something and saw what didn't work. So try again. The most important thing is to get the creative process flowing. Oftentimes, I come up with what I want to write next literally as I write it. I've got a plan in my head where the story has to go and what major events have to happen and when, but the little events tend to just fill themselves in as I go along.

So just dive right back into it, don't hold yourself back or try to test the water. If you do, you'll only keep holding yourself back. You've got to throw yourself right into the flow of the story.

GoldenHouou

antagoonist
If you don't feel like you're able to put your current story into words (especially after having a pause in writing), my best advice is to just leave the idea be for a while and try writing something short and casual for a change. Do some drabble memes or take drabble dares, anything that can get you back into creative writing without the pressure that comes with big projects, multichapter fics and regular updating. Once you start to feel comfortable with writing again, you can go back to your story and see if the situation's improved.

I also definitely agree with the above; sometimes you just need to force yourself to write to get things done. I know, I know, writing's supposed to be fun and all that, but sometimes you need to kick yourself in the rear and just sit down and write. Get started. It doesn't even matter if what you write at first sucks; the most important thing is that you got started and got something done on paper. You can always come back and revise the stuff that bothers you later on, especially if you don't plan to post the chapter immediately. Write something, sleep and look at it again in the morning.

\another author just getting back into fic writing after a looong pause.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
If you don't feel like you're able to put your current story into words (especially after having a pause in writing), my best advice is to just leave the idea be for a while and try writing something short and casual for a change. Do some drabble memes or take drabble dares, anything that can get you back into creative writing without the pressure that comes with big projects, multichapter fics and regular updating. Once you start to feel comfortable with writing again, you can go back to your story and see if the situation's improved.

I also definitely agree with the above; sometimes you just need to force yourself to write to get things done. I know, I know, writing's supposed to be fun and all that, but sometimes you need to kick yourself in the rear and just sit down and write. Get started. It doesn't even matter if what you write at first sucks; the most important thing is that you got started and got something done on paper. You can always come back and revise the stuff that bothers you later on, especially if you don't plan to post the chapter immediately. Write something, sleep and look at it again in the morning.

\another author just getting back into fic writing after a looong pause.

I want to get back into writing, but when I try, I end up not having anything to say; despite having the story replayed in my head many times.

For example: I recently had an idea about Ghetsis and a girl stealing a book about time and space travel from Team Galactic.

I also had an idea about a male character of mine making it a goal to be a beauty contest master (I made it up;yes it's a different than contests because they also judge the trainers appearance as well as the Pokemon themselves and they battle on narrow battle fields on top of liquid tarp)

Any tips on how I can try to write again? Do I just keep replaying it until I finally get it right?

I agree with you. This is the tip that I just did today. I continued working on my story after A MONTH! No thaks to college life and projects in bound.

Sometimes, you could do other activities that may fit your time. Who knows? It could give you an idea for one the scenes of your story.

For me, listening to Video game music does its job well given the right scenario relation.

If all else fails, go with everyday experiences as your references. It may tend to backfire at you though. Be careful

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
I have like the same problem as you. I just came back to writing right after I was completely frustrated with the way I write words, they either make no sense or that. I just finished writing a chapter, and that I still have that same problem. Like it seems frustrating to do that, and it lowers my motivation even more. But as like others said, work on another story that can help you and one that has a fresh plot.