• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Getting, Skipping or Canceling Pre-Orders (Poll)

LET'S GO getting the games, skipping these games, or decided to cancel your preorder.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LuWis

I just canceled my bundle and 2nd version because with every reveal, this game seems less fun to play. I was going to get them just because they are Pokemon games and I've bought almost all pokemon games and play Go but I just don't see the point when the games are just an updated Yellow in graphics and not much else. I would have preferred Yellow graphics and adding new megas, the evos/pre of the kanto pokemon, keeping abilities and items and an updated story.
There is nothing new that makes this game relevant enough to buy FOR ME and I gave gamefreak time to show me otherwise.

Bahmo

The positive up front: Wild Pokemon you can actually see, pet Pokemon you can ride at will (though with wasted potential), 3D models of iconic G1 characters, and the title characters do look cute in close-ups.

That said, I voted skip. I feel it only fair to mention that I haven't bought a main Pokemon game since Black, I don't plan to again pending a major change, I don't own a Switch, and I don't have any immediate plans to buy one, so maybe my vote there hardly means anything, but...holy crap; these games look dull. By that, I don't just mean they look like something other than what I think Pokemon should be, or that they look like they're aimed at casuals, or that its core gameplay bores me, although all of those are pretty true; I mean that I haven't seen anything in these games that sets them apart from the crowd, which I think is a Pokemon spin-off first.

Yes; I am treating these as spin-offs, rather than main series games, so I'm not beating on them for not measuring up to those standards. I've long accepted that spin-off games tend to be "smaller" than the core RPGs. However, in the past, spin-offs always added in something to compensate; something noticeable. Mystery Dungeon gave us the ability to play as Pokemon themselves, gave us fights in an actual physical battlefield, gave the Pokemon personalities far beyond what they displayed in the RPGs, and told a genuinely emotional story. Colloseum had better graphics than handhelds could do at the time, and a unique story of an adult hero, with a girlfriend, whose role was primarily to battle evil rather than to catch 'em all and be a master. Poke Park gave us real-time gameplay. Conquest gave us a crossover and was a long-requested Pokemon map strategy game. Pokken was a long-requested tournament fighter. Pokemon Go has real-world map integration.

The problem with these games is how much they lack unique identities of the sort those past spin-offs had. The brass can remind us all they want that these aren't supposed to be core Pokemon RPGs, but the Let's Go games resemble the core RPGs so much more than any other spin-offs, that's the lens many people are inevitably going to judge them by. Being semi-remakes of Red/Blue/Yellow gives people expectations; not to mention that since most of the people who obsess about G1 nostalgia are adults, by simple laws of time, they are going to notice how infantile the games seem to be trying to be, with simplified battles, faster leveling, checks for type-effectiveness, a pay-to-win feature (Yuck!) to get Mew, a friendly rival, and of course, the cute aspect of Pokemon cranked up with the starters. It's not that we adults are intolerant of infantile things, but this combination of things that seem softened up for children and things that seem nostalgic primarily to adults just seems wrong. That, and when we were children we did fine without that softness.

These games seem to take away too many features, add too few features, and retain the sorts of features that arguably don't deserve retention. Does anyone like grids? I get that the Pokemon and humans of G1 are nostalgic to some, but does anyone really care about the map layouts of those games? Does anyone like having progress dictated by moves unlocked at specific times to pass inconvenient obstacles? I sure don't. The single biggest sensation I get whenever I look at these games is the last sensation I feel I should get when looking at a more juvenile Pokemon product: They're ugly! I cannot say that about the anime, or flash games, or PokePark games; they obviously aim young and innocent, but they're pretty. These games dredge up the maps, shapes, and proportions of ancient Game Boy games as though gaming never moved on, and just make them more glaring by putting them in high-definition 3D. The greener and more visibly populated by Pokemon that forests get, the more inappropriate their square layouts look. Then there's the ostensible cities whose paltry amount of buildings would struggle to qualify them as truck stops, whose buildings are obviously too small for their interiors; tolerable when lack of memory was an issue, but hardly desirable on a new console with much more power. Also, I don't like big heads on people.

Then there's the Pokemon Go side of that equation; I get that the game has/had a following, but was it really on account of the simplified battle mechanics? People maybe tolerated them, but did they prefer them? If not, then trying to cater to that crowd with a game that takes away the real-world integration while keeping the dumbed down gameplay is missing the point, hard.

Above all else, the Let's Go games feel like they have no niche. They may gain one, but I can't see what it would be. They may not be objectively bad games, but I cannot think of anything these games offer that another, older game didn't already do better, save for the increased role of the starters--and the verdict is out so far on whether that will really be enjoyable. I'm already worried about whether they retain a four-move limit, given that they now seem to be your only HM slaves.

Last edited:

Grey Wind

I just canceled my bundle and 2nd version because with every reveal, this game seems less fun to play. I was going to get them just because they are Pokemon games and I've bought almost all pokemon games and play Go but I just don't see the point when the games are just an updated Yellow in graphics and not much else. I would have preferred Yellow graphics and adding new megas, the evos/pre of the kanto pokemon, keeping abilities and items and an updated story.
There is nothing new that makes this game relevant enough to buy FOR ME and I gave gamefreak time to show me otherwise.
This is my main problem with the games too. When they were first revealed I thought they were a cute idea and I didn't really have a problem with the stripped back gameplay, but since then every reveal has been something dumb like a new hairstyle for Eevee or just a retread of what happens in Yellow. There were so many ways they could've set it apart from the original games - a different story, new areas, new megas etc like you said - and there's just... nothing of substance. It's disappointing.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
I'll be getting LG: Pikachu. I will admit that I was a little apprehensive up until lately. Really what changed my mind was VGC staying with USuMo and not LG. After that I was able to "settle in" and accept that these will be just for fun games to relax and enjoy while taking comfort in knowing that most of the things that are taken out will not be the new standard (theoretically). Additionally I had to take a step back myself and realize that while I grew up with the series, I've gotten to learn the mechanics gradually over time, to jump in now would take forever, and I know this as a close friend just jumped back in after not playing since Crsystal (He was asking me questions for days after USuMo release).

Overall I think a lot of the complaints are just the internet being the internet and looking for something to be mad about. I'm looking forward to just having an enjoyable playthrough and reserving any actual judgement for after I have played the game.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'll be getting LG: Pikachu. I will admit that I was a little apprehensive up until lately. Really what changed my mind was VGC staying with USuMo and not LG. After that I was able to "settle in" and accept that these will be just for fun games to relax and enjoy while taking comfort in knowing that most of the things that are taken out will not be the new standard (theoretically). Additionally I had to take a step back myself and realize that while I grew up with the series, I've gotten to learn the mechanics gradually over time, to jump in now would take forever, and I know this as a close friend just jumped back in after not playing since Crsystal (He was asking me questions for days after USuMo release).

Overall I think a lot of the complaints are just the internet being the internet and looking for something to be mad about. I'm looking forward to just having an enjoyable playthrough and reserving any actual judgement for after I have played the game.

I've been noticing, as we get closer to the release date, more and more apprehensive fans are warming up to the game. I think it could be a number of things, really:

- Curiosity as to how 'bad' the game really is
- Being won over by new footage/reveals
- Eventual acceptance of what they initially disliked
- Simply not wanting to be left out
- The sheer desire to play a new Pokémon game
- The good ol' fashioned "F**k it."

This seems to happen with every Pokémon game. In fact, I remember when Sun and Moon was being promoted, and folks here were pissed, and I told them all they were going to play the game anyway. lol It's not me being a jerk or anything, but simply that our love for the franchise cannot be so easily crushed. By November 17, there will likely only be a handful of naysayers who refuse to play the game out of pride or stubborness.

I'm sorry, but this game is turning into something beautiful. The kid in me is crying with joy and excitement. To see Kanto in this way is just astounding.

Last edited:

Arjun89

preordered the pikachu + pokeball edition but im gonna also get eevee regular version on release date (just in case my package wont be there on release day)

keepitsimple

site of lies
Skipping. Not a chance that I'd ever pay money for these games. They don't look enjoyable at all to me. Heck even if someone got me one as a gift I wouldn't play it lol.

Last edited:

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Guess I'm just hesitant to spend money on a game that doesn't offer any new content (Pokemon, story, or lore) to the series. Meltan isn't a big enough selling point for me.

If I did purchase the games I wouldn't want to pay full price for either of them.

Last edited:

Bahmo

I'm sorry, but this game is turning into something beautiful. The kid in me is crying with joy and excitement. To see Kanto in this way is just astounding.

I vehemently disagree. Seeing Kanto like that, to me, is akin to seeing Mario like this. Abstract and unrealistic designs don't always translate well to more realistic levels of definition. Our brains can be conditioned to look at different things in different ways, and mine is now thoroughly conditioned to expect a more organic look in modern three-dimensional games. Also, I consider this a detriment to what gameplay can and should be; those old designs were that way because of technological limitations. Grids could be useful in old 2-dimensional games, but to use them here just misses the point of having better technology; let alone of revisiting an old area and prettying it up. They didn't even bother to round the edges of, for excample, grass patches to make things look more organic; what's the point of higher poly-count if so many things are literally square?

Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people like it, given the popularity of not only Minecraft, but duplicating Pokemon regions in Minecraft, despite the lack of pieces to duplicate them perfectly. Clearly, such things have an audience, but I find Minecraft's perpetual cubism hideous.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I vehemently disagree. Seeing Kanto like that, to me, is akin to seeing Mario like this. Abstract and unrealistic designs don't always translate well to more realistic levels of definition. Our brains can be conditioned to look at different things in different ways, and mine is now thoroughly conditioned to expect a more organic look in modern three-dimensional games. Also, I consider this a detriment to what gameplay can and should be; those old designs were that way because of technological limitations. Grids could be useful in old 2-dimensional games, but to use them here just misses the point of having better technology; let alone of revisiting an old area and prettying it up. They didn't even bother to round the edges of, for excample, grass patches to make things look more organic; what's the point of higher poly-count if so many things are literally square?

Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people like it, given the popularity of not only Minecraft, but duplicating Pokemon regions in Minecraft, despite the lack of pieces to duplicate them perfectly. Clearly, such things have an audience, but I find Minecraft's perpetual cubism hideous.

You're expecting too much from a game that's not designed to be the grand stage of Pokémon. Gen 8 is what you're asking for. This ain't it.

For me, though, none of that even matters. As I've stated before, I've been wanting to see Kanto in this form ever since I saw Lillie sail for Kanto at the end of Sun and Moon. I initially wanted to see Kanto with Gen 7 graphics, but this is much better. While there are a few things I wish Let's GO did/didn't have, I am ultimately pleased with what I've seen. I know what this is, and I am perfectly fine with that.

For the record, I don't know what game you've been looking at, but Let's GO looks nothing like regions made in Minecraft. Not even by a hair. Also, there is no grid system in Let's GO. It just looks like it for nostalgic purposes.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

I will be skipping it.

So far it doesn't seem like there is enough content to justify paying 60 dollars (75 ~ 80 dollars if you live where i live).

Kanto is very small and linear which was fine back in the '90s and maybe even early '00s since there was only so much a old handheld console could do, but nowadays we have better standards.

With the map being revealed, doesn't seem like much changed, aside from graphics and some new features, which, tbh, didn't impress me at all.

A multiplayer feature that doesn't scale the difficulty and puts 2 pokemon against 1? A limited version of Pokémon amie that only includes Eevee and Pikachu? A few coulpe outfits to dress your starter? I am sorry but i don't see anything impressive about that.

Besides, the lack of wild battles, items and nature, not to mention the lack of every other species that came after gen 1, doesn't help either.

Now, had they adjusted the price accordingly to the content offered, just like Mega Man 11 did, i would willingly overlook the lack of all those things i enjoy about the series. But they didn't. So i'm skipping it.

Good game to the ones who are going to buy it though. I hope you guys enjoy these games and make every penny worth it. I know i will be doing the same with Super smash bros.

Last edited:

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I preordered Eevee with the pokeball plus.

While I'm not really super into the idea of going back to Kanto myself, I don't think there's been much more "gen 1 pandering" than normal. The main reason I'm buying is because I'd like to see what they are adding or changing. The no wild battles thing does kinda irk me, but I'm coming around to it... Slowly.

I'm not really sure why people are calling it cheap though. the graphics are stylized, but hardly constitute as low budget. I actually quite like the look of it.

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
I may or may not buy one or the other. Definitely won't get both. The graphics are nice and I would like to hear the Kanto soundtrack again. However, not thrilled about the lack of battling wild Pokemon. I also hope these games won't be completely copy-paste retellings of RBGY/FRLG. If they add a post game of some kind or even the Sevii Isles, I'll be happy.

Gamefreak is a terrible developer , prove me wrong. It astounds me that someone considers they put effort in games anymore. But I shouldn't have to be this way , newer games could be a thousand times better if proper care was put in

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Gamefreak is a terrible developer , prove me wrong. It astounds me that someone considers they put effort in games anymore. But I shouldn't have to be this way , newer games could be a thousand times better if proper care was put in

If they're such a terrible developer, why are you even here?

Or did you break your five-year hiatus from this site just to post that comment?

If they're such a terrible developer, why are you even here?

Or did you break your five-year hiatus from this site just to post that comment?
Well yeah its been a while since i post here but i read regulary to stay tunned with the comunity , not just as much as i did before ,but thats besides the point , So what if broke my silence
The point is, the more i like or miss pokemon the more i hate gamefreak i feel like ive been bootling up that opinion because it didnt seem important until now

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Well yeah its been a while since i post here but i read regulary to stay tunned with the comunity , not just as much as i did before ,but thats besides the point , So what if broke my silence
The point is, the more i like or miss pokemon the more i hate gamefreak i feel like ive been bootling up that opinion because it didnt seem important until now

Well, if you're going to accuse Game Freak of being a terrible developer, you can't insist that someone else prove you wrong. You must prove yourself right. Otherwise, you're just making baseless accusations.

Accusing a gaming developer of being terrible would require a great deal of evidence, and not just mere opinion. So be prepared to offer a lot of documentation.

Cradily17

I honestly feel conflicted. I don't want to play this trash, but at the same time I really need Meltan to keep my Living Dex updated. Maybe I should just get a used copy. That way, at least GameFreak wouldn't get a penny from me.

Well, if you're going to accuse Game Freak of being a terrible developer, you can't insist that someone else prove you wrong. You must prove yourself right. Otherwise, you're just making baseless accusations.

Accusing a gaming developer of being terrible would require a great deal of evidence, and not just mere opinion. So be prepared to offer a lot of documentation.

Well, let's see. The graphics look like they're straight from a mobile game. Even though there are fewer Pokemon than in previous games, the animations for moves are clearly half-***ed (Blastoise doesn't even shoot water from his cannons, for example). Mew is stuck to a $50 add-on. Masuda's excuses for leaving out certain features or making decisions such as dumbing down the rivals don't make any sense and are obviously just meaningless PR talk. Despite being released nearly fifteen years after another Kanto remake, LGPE has no breeding or Sevii Islands. Those are just a few examples, but you'll probably just dismiss my points as meaningless complaints anyways.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Well, let's see. The graphics look like they're straight from a mobile game. Even though there are fewer Pokemon than in previous games, the animations for moves are clearly half-***ed (Blastoise doesn't even shoot water from his cannons, for example). Mew is stuck to a $50 add-on. Masuda's excuses for leaving out certain features or making decisions such as dumbing down the rivals don't make any sense and are obviously just meaningless PR talk. Despite being released nearly fifteen years after another Kanto remake, LGPE has no breeding or Sevii Islands. Those are just a few examples, but you'll probably just dismiss my points as meaningless complaints anyways.

You're absolutely right, I will, because you have no actual evidence or documentation to prove Game Freak is a terrible developer. All you did was complain.

What? Did you expect me to suddenly not know the difference between fact and opinion?

Cradily17

You're absolutely right, I will, because you have no actual evidence or documentation to prove Game Freak is a terrible developer. All you did was complain.

What? Did you expect me to suddenly not know the difference between fact and opinion?

You can't be serious... It's not a fact that the moves are poorly animated? Are you blind? Why is it okay for a $60 Pokemon game in 2018 to look so rough around the edges when other games that came out over a decade earlier like Colosseum and Battle Revolution had good attack animations? And don't give me that, "there weren't as many models to work with back then" excuse. LGPE don't even have any Pokemon beyond the original 151, the Alolan forms, and Meltan. Trying to explain things to you is like talking to a brick wall. This is the highest-selling media franchise on Earth. I'm so sorry we're expecting more from a franchise of that caliber.