• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Getting tired of seeing Ash treated like underdog in every series post battle frontier

What blunders?

I don't have a paticularly strong opinion on the characters beyond both being fairly mediocre.
XY Ash didn’t use reserves and trusted the wrong Pokémon to put up against Charizard
Pikachu at full health destroys MCX

NintendoNanami

Sinnoh Girl
Isn't pokemon battling the "soccer" of the pokemon world? Why wouldn't league matches be watched world-wide? And even if pokemon battling wasn't known about to the general public, fellow pokemon trainers should be well aware of who ash is at this point. He's foiled multiple world-threatening plots,, has won a regional championship, made the semifinals in another, and has completed the frontier challenge, all at the age of 10.

He's essentially the erling halaaand of the pokemon world AND the closest thing it has to a comic-hero. There are out-of-universe reasons for the writers not to have ash be famous, but in-universe it really doens't make sense. Gary had a huge following simply on the basis of being prof oak's grandson. Shouldn't ash be more famous than oak at this point?
Regions are pretty much just states. Pretty sure the only thing out if region people watch regularly would be the Worlds. I mean even if you like soccer chances are you won’t waste time watching a match from
Nevada if you are in Maine

pickapika

Regions are pretty much just states. Pretty sure the only thing out if region people watch regularly would be the Worlds. I mean even if you like soccer chances are you won’t waste time watching a match from
Nevada if you are in Maine
I mean, the premier league, la liga, bundesliga, uefa cup, ect get widespread attention. Though thouse are "national/continental competitions so I guess it makes sense regional success doesn't lead to fame.

Saving the world on televeision should get you attention though

I mean, the premier league, la liga, bundesliga, uefa cup, ect get widespread attention. Though thouse are "national/continental competitions so I guess it makes sense regional success doesn't lead to fame.
Maybe Ash has been in Leagues equivalent to soccer leagues in South America xD

Applecorp

After BF Ash was treated like an underdog or weak trainer just for the sake of story make me frustrated so many times, after beating battle frontier Ash in DP forced to lose against Paul or in front of Paul multiple times like Roark gym battle and raichu trainer, in BW his battles against Trip and Roxie, in XY against Viola and Korrina, in SM Illima got praised multiple times for entering Kalos league but not Ash who reach finals and in JN against Bea after he become regional champion than getting depressed like it was a gag

I seriously miss those AG/BF days where Ash was praised for his achievements multiple times
One of the main lessons of the show has been that there's always someone out there who's stronger than Ash so you can't be surprised that he's been the underdog in many situations. It almost sounds like you're living vicariously through Ash and want him to curbstomp every trainer he faces just because it would make you feel better.

pickapika

One of the main lessons of the show has been that there's always someone out there who's stronger than Ash so you can't be surprised that he's been the underdog in many situations. It almost sounds like you're living vicariously through Ash and want him to curbstomp every trainer he faces just because it would make you feel better.
I mean, at this point, ash should be strong enough where he's curbstomping *most of his opponents. Off course to make that interesting you'd have to do new stuff with him as a character. It made sense for him to "always be an underdog" in the early seasons as he scaled upwards. At this point though, it's just bad writing.

DatsRight

I mean, at this point, ash should be strong enough where he's curbstomping *most of his opponents. Off course to make that interesting you'd have to do new stuff with him as a character. It made sense for him to "always be an underdog" in the early seasons as he scaled upwards. At this point though, it's just bad writing.
That's likely why SM focused so much on non-battle scenarios, even if the same power fluctuations happened at times, like Pikachu struggling against a Grubbin.

Granted I think it's more telling with Pikachu most of the time, otherwise Ash always starts over with a new team. Even a previously good battler needs to train their Pokemon to be effective first.

I don’t like how they make Ash do stupid things a lot of time in battles especially in XY and SM

UnovaMaster

An overdog in every region is perfect storytelling though, right?

This forum needs to get control of its power fantasizing