• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Getting Your Wii or DS Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Been having a heck of a time trying to get onto the Nintendo WFC. Been running into error 61020. The router is a Motorola one (not sure of the model though). Anyone else having issues similar to this one?

Was able to get online through a similar router sometime ago with no problems, so I really don't know what's going on there.

Updated the firm ware on it, so that isn't the issue, am close enough to the wi-fi source (getting a two to three bar signal), and the firewall is ok.

So, now I'm running out of stuff to check, other than what Nintendo has in their wi-fi guides (which are pretty good).

BCVM22

If your phone is capable of acting as a Wi-Fi hotspot, then likely yes.

Pursuant to your next question, I don't know what kind of phone you have nor do I really need to know. If you're not sure if your phone can do that, check the manual. It won't be a hidden feature - your phone either can or can't do it and if it can, there will likely be considerable documentation devoted to it.

Molatte

Cruel One
I've been getting error 52000 for a while now. I've tried manual setup and I even manually input the IP address, subnet mask, and so on. After I do so, I try reconnecting my DS to my Router (not listed on Nintendo's list of routers) and for about two minutes it's able to get full bars and afterwards would drop down to no bars at all. Error 52100 comes up.

Anyone got any suggestions? My iPad, Blackberry etc all have no problem connecting to the network that my Router has. (in case someone is wondering, my router is TP-Link)

Vandslaux

I've got a problem. I can't connect my DS Lite to the internet. The internet router in question is a Virgin Mobile MiFi card. Whenever I try, I get a "Security settings not supported by Nintendo DS" message. My DSi connects just fine to it.

Vandslaux

I've got a problem. I can't connect my DS Lite to the internet. The internet router in question is a Virgin Mobile MiFi card. Whenever I try, I get a "Security settings not supported by Nintendo DS" message. My DSi connects just fine to it. Note that I have only tried with my Black/White, not my White 2, which this is a problem for, since it's region locked and means I can't go on wifi with White 2.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
I've got a problem. I can't connect my DS Lite to the internet. The internet router in question is a Virgin Mobile MiFi card. Whenever I try, I get a "Security settings not supported by Nintendo DS" message. My DSi connects just fine to it. Note that I have only tried with my Black/White, not my White 2, which this is a problem for, since it's region locked and means I can't go on wifi with White 2.

DSphat and DSlite only support WEP encription. My guess is you're using WPA which won't work with those DS's.

I've been getting error 52000 for a while now. I've tried manual setup and I even manually input the IP address, subnet mask, and so on. After I do so, I try reconnecting my DS to my Router (not listed on Nintendo's list of routers) and for about two minutes it's able to get full bars and afterwards would drop down to no bars at all. Error 52100 comes up.

Anyone got any suggestions? My iPad, Blackberry etc all have no problem connecting to the network that my Router has. (in case someone is wondering, my router is TP-Link)

I would assume that's the problem you're having too.

Really nice guide, too bad I'm not techy enough to understand it all. Ok, so I have WPA at home which I know is not compatible with a DS lite (I'm stuck with the WPA cause thats what my mom changed it to). Is there anything else I can do to get my DS lite on wifi? Also, at school even though there is no wifi in the dorm rooms the campus has wifi, also not compatible with a DS lite. Can't I use a USB adapter or something on my laptop to help get my DS on wifi at home or at school?

Edit: Ok, I checked and at home we have the 2WIRE832. Is it possible for me to buy a WEP router just for myself and use it in the same house? Would that interfere with our current wifi settings? I don't know if this is a stupid question but is there anyway for me to do this without changing the 2 wire:

Internet-->2wire-->wire-->linksy/wep?

Edit again: My school website says that it is able to support guest users and it is not an encrypted wireless network. Nevertheless it has not been compatible with my DS lite. However I have no problem using the campus wifi with my laptop. Hope for using a USB adaptor here?

Last edited:

BCVM22

Can't I use a USB adapter or something on my laptop to help get my DS on wifi at home or at school?

No. Nintendo once marketed a USB Wi-Fi adapter, but it has long, long since gone out of production.

Is it possible for me to buy a WEP router just for myself and use it in the same house?

If you don't think buying a whole second router is a waste of money.

Hope for using a USB adaptor here?

Most building-wide Wi-Fi connections, like those found in most dormitory buildings, have security settings that don't usually allow for that.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
No. Nintendo once marketed a USB Wi-Fi adapter, but it has long, long since gone out of production.

http://www.toysrus.co.jp/product/product_detail.aspx?ext=1&product_order=5&skn=301805&pin=900&top_id=001

Toys R Us Japan would like a word with you. ;)

But the cheapest and easiest way to do what you want Birds of Paradise's would be to buy another router for your home. I'm not completely sure if it'll effect anything else on that network though. I'm sure someone else here could answer that.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting a second router, and I can always lean towards the cheap ones..(I don't care if its slow so long as it gets me on there)...its really frustrating not being able to go on GTS, dream world or trade with other people..at least now I know that its possible, thanks guys :). I'm thinking that it should not be too hard for two routers to be working at the same time but now I know its worth the time to look into it :)

Last edited:

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Ok, so my 3DS used to be able to connect to Wi-Fi, now it can't. :/

My Wii can still connect just fine, and I haven't touched the settings on the router or the 3DS itself. Anyone have an idea of what's wrong?

Goku3s6zz

hello,

As many may know already nintendo just can't get the internet/online gaming right...
i have a Nintendo 3DS-XL, i have a WPA wifi Router(see where I'm going)... i know that for 4th Gen unless you change your Router settings to WEP it will not work on the 3DS.
Now since i've heard about the 5th Gen being DSI enhanced which should support WPA Wifi, has anyone in the 3ds been able to connect with a WPA connection on 5th Gen? If not then does anyone know if B/W2 will support WPA? Thanks in advance! I will not buy 5th until i know for sure.

Ausgirl

Hello, I've been trying to download the latest version of the Nintendo Wifi USB Connector from the Nintendo website but when I try to "extract the files" I get the message saying that the folder is empty and then it goes on to talk about copying the files? I've never been tech savy so this stuff really confuses me. I've tried deleting the program & downloading it again, only to get the same result. I've also tried downloading earlier versions, only to get the same result. Have any of you guys had the same trouble?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
hello,

As many may know already nintendo just can't get the internet/online gaming right...
i have a Nintendo 3DS-XL, i have a WPA wifi Router(see where I'm going)... i know that for 4th Gen unless you change your Router settings to WEP it will not work on the 3DS.
Now since i've heard about the 5th Gen being DSI enhanced which should support WPA Wifi, has anyone in the 3ds been able to connect with a WPA connection on 5th Gen? If not then does anyone know if B/W2 will support WPA? Thanks in advance! I will not buy 5th until i know for sure.

The 3DS should work with Most, if not all, WPA Wifi routers. The 5th Gen games will work with WPA wifi routers, in either a 3DS 3DS XL DSi or DSiXL. However, you will need to set up the Wifi settings on the device.

Charazemma

Can someone just clear this up for me please! I've just got a second DS (DSlite) for using the memory link and trading with my previous games, and I want to connect it to my internet.
I've read how to do it, but am I likely to encounter any problems? (I cant risk losing internet access on my mums laptop, she'd go mad)

So I change my WPA to WEP in the settings, then get a key, then enter that into my DS Lite... and I'm guessing I do the same on both laptops, smart phone and 3DS? Will WEP work with all these?

I'm a total technophobe, and I'm just worried that I'll leave the family internetless :| If something goes horribly wrong, do I just need to do a hard reset or something on my router, or will I have to call the provider? (if that's the case, I'll do it in the morning)

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Can someone just clear this up for me please! I've just got a second DS (DSlite) for using the memory link and trading with my previous games, and I want to connect it to my internet.
I've read how to do it, but am I likely to encounter any problems? (I cant risk losing internet access on my mums laptop, she'd go mad)

So I change my WPA to WEP in the settings, then get a key, then enter that into my DS Lite... and I'm guessing I do the same on both laptops, smart phone and 3DS? Will WEP work with all these?

I'm a total technophobe, and I'm just worried that I'll leave the family internetless :| If something goes horribly wrong, do I just need to do a hard reset or something on my router, or will I have to call the provider? (if that's the case, I'll do it in the morning)

Most wifi setups on Computers have support for WEP Encoding. The Code is however a pain to insert.

tailmister

I have a question...

Does Black 2/White 2 capable of something other than WEP? Or does the other systems of Nintnendo DS allow me to use other connections than just WEP?

Reason I'm asking is that I have a Nintendo DS and it only does WEP connectivity. I don't have a computer or a network of my own, and I have realized that Wi-Fi spots that only do WEP are virtually non-existant, they have something that is better. As for the coffee house where I found and was using for a couple weeks, basically told me I have to be a customer in order to use it. I was so mad because I have not had or was aware of such things, so because they were quite rude about it, I'm not going there again. Unless I can get a WEP only wifi hotspot locator, I won't be able to be online at all.

Sorry if this is the wrong forumn, just had to get it out of my system.

BCVM22

All Generation V titles can connect using the more advanced security protocols. Anything newer than (and including) the DSi can do the same.

However, a considerable majority of public Wi-Fi connections will continue to be of no use to you regardless, as many of them require you to use a browser to accept a ToS before you can use the connection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.