• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Getting Your Wii or DS Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendarys

Anonymous
I have a question...

Does Black 2/White 2 capable of something other than WEP? Or does the other systems of Nintnendo DS allow me to use other connections than just WEP?

Reason I'm asking is that I have a Nintendo DS and it only does WEP connectivity. I don't have a computer or a network of my own, and
I have realized that Wi-Fi spots that only do WEP are virtually non-existant, they have something that is better. As for the coffee house where I found and was using for a couple weeks, basically told me I have to be a customer in order to use it. I was so mad because I have not had or was aware of such things, so because they were quite rude about it, I'm not going there again. Unless I can get a WEP only wifi hotspot locator, I won't be able to be online at all

Sorry if this is the wrong forumn, just had to get it out of my system.

All devices after the Nintendo DS are WPA and WEP compatible. [5th Generation and 6th Generation] Although, WPA is not a common public network security. For example, in Pokemon Pearl, the network required is WEP. But, in Soul Silver, WPA and WEP can be used.

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
All devices after the Nintendo DS are WPA and WEP compatible. [5th Generation and 6th Generation] Although, WPA is not a common public network security. For example, in Pokemon Pearl, the network required is WEP. But, in Soul Silver, WPA and WEP can be used.

Acutually Soul Silver and Heart Gold can not use WPA, and they're are 4th gen. Currently, the only main series Pokémon games that support WPA are Black and White, and Black 2 and White 2.

6th gen is currently unannounced, but many suspect it will be for the 3DS.

Wow, Gen 6?

I mean, really?

Seriously?

Another solution is to buy a USB Wi-Fi Connector, but here's the catch: it doesn't have to be the one that Jess is referencing. They're easy to find, just look on Google Shopping or something like that.

Hydreigon6507

Acutually Soul Silver and Heart Gold can not use WPA, and they're are 4th gen. Currently, the only main series Pokémon games that support WPA are Black and White, and Black 2 and White 2.

6th gen is currently unannounced, but many suspect it will be for the 3DS.

Thank you for pointing this out! I was so worried that we could only use WEP with all or my games. I am so grateful to know that I can finally connect to Wi-Fi once again! :)

gregjammer

Feather Trainer
For those of you who have unlisted routers, and are not sure whether or not your router is compatable w/ ds and wii wi-fi, here is a list of all known routers, listed or not, compatable and not...

Mods, did you already know of such a list? If so, then I apologize for this post. Just thought of helping those of you who are unsure whether or not a router in their house is compatable w/ nintendo wi-fi, and don't want to waste time trying to connect to find out whether or not their router works in the event others have difficulties with that same router when trying to access wi-fi... :)

Last edited:

RoySceptile

Bakaner
Hi, I'm having a problem with SoulSilver.
I connected my DSi to the internet already, I've tested it a few times already. But then, I try to configure the WFC settings at the game's main screen (where you get all those options, 'Mystery Egg' etc.), and it tells me to configure my DS settings.
I've also tried directly going into the Wi-Fi Club, but I'm never able to connect.

Any help appreciated.

Edit: Never mind, I just read you need to change to WEP, which I don't see my mother doing.

Last edited:

Nero_Tethras

Ghost Enthusiast
I just changed my WIFI connection from WPA to WEP, but it still says "No Compatibale Networks" when I try to connect on Pokemon: Soul Silver. I am able to connect my DS, so I know it's not a problem with the DS.

Anyone have a clue as to why I'm still having a problem? I've read that Soul Silver is compatible with WEP security.

justTDUBBit

I just changed my WIFI connection from WPA to WEP, but it still says "No Compatibale Networks" when I try to connect on Pokemon: Soul Silver. I am able to connect my DS, so I know it's not a problem with the DS.

Anyone have a clue as to why I'm still having a problem? I've read that Soul Silver is compatible with WEP security.

You could try inputting the SSID and WEP key manually. Alternatively, you could remove your network's security and hide it (set the display SSID setting to not broadcast). The second one is what I do when I want to make trades or battle and then I change the security back when I am done.

Nero_Tethras

Ghost Enthusiast
I tried inputting it all manually, but I'm still getting the "No compatible Networks" error. Removing the security completely didn't seem to work either. Thanks for the advice though, Justubbit.

Anyone know of some other fix I could try?

justTDUBBit

I tried inputting it all manually, but I'm still getting the "No compatible Networks" error. Removing the security completely didn't seem to work either. Thanks for the advice though, Justubbit.

Anyone know of some other fix I could try?

If you are trying to connect with a DSi, you might need to connect through the DSi settings at the homescreen and not in-game. If you are using a normal ds, it might be a problem with your DS's wireless card, which would be really unfortunate :/

Nero_Tethras

Ghost Enthusiast
If you are trying to connect with a DSi, you might need to connect through the DSi settings at the homescreen and not in-game. If you are using a normal ds, it might be a problem with your DS's wireless card, which would be really unfortunate :/

I'm actually using a 3DS, does that change anything?

Shiny Swalot

Shiny Swalot Powerz!
Look, here is a small and probalby stupid question: if i change my router to wep, than connect my DS lite and than change it to wpa2 again, will i still be able to get on the internet?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Look, here is a small and probalby stupid question: if i change my router to wep, than connect my DS lite and than change it to wpa2 again, will i still be able to get on the internet?

No, The most routers will not allow the DS lite to use the Connection after you change it back to WPA2.

Some Routers can be set up to allow two wifi networks one being a WPA and the other a WEP Network.

Shiny Swalot

Shiny Swalot Powerz!
well, another question: Can I use my mobile Phone or my latop as a router for my DS lite. Because I have tried setting up but it doesnt work. But maybe I do something wrong.
Laptop : Acer Aspire 7750 i3-2330M, 4GB
Mobil Phone : HTC 500 Desire

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
well, another question: Can I use my mobile Phone or my latop as a router for my DS lite. Because I have tried setting up but it doesnt work. But maybe I do something wrong.
Laptop : Acer Aspire 7750 i3-2330M, 4GB
Mobil Phone : HTC 500 Desire

Yes you can (as long as it supports a WEP connection). I've used my phone as a mobile hotspot for my DS/3DS before. Though it's going to be pretty slow and you won't really be able to play any multiplayer games on it. I just used mine to download some Pokemon wondercards or put my Pokemon to sleep for the dream world.

Status
Not open for further replies.