• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Getting Your Wii or DS Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
A. Foreword
Please read all of these or anything that pertains to your problem. A lot of your questions can be answered in this guide.

1. Requirements to play online

Unfortunately the USB Wi-Fi connector is no longer available. You can attempt to buy it online or elsewhere that may have it. But don't ask where you can find it, that's what Google's for.

2. Using a Router

Setting up the router
These instructions are assuming you have just purchased a router and are setting it up for the first time.
  • Most routers can be set up just as is. Plug the power into the router and then connect network cables as necessary. However, read the instructions that your router comes with. In most cases though, you can opt not to install any networking software the router comes with, as your operating system will take care of everything.
  • Wireless routers by default do not have their wireless features enabled out of the box. Thus you have to configure them to broadcast. Instructions to do so are with the router. This is also the time when you can set up security features such as WEP or WPA.
  • Remember to plug in your modem's network cable to the router's Internet plug, otherwise the internet will not be accessible.
  • If you have trouble receiving the internet, a quick fix is to simply restart the computer.

Configuring your router
If you already have a router and you want to configure it, it requires you going into the router's firmware and setting its options. Before you configure your router, you need the following information

• Router's login information. If you haven't touched this, or nobody else has, there's a default login.
  • Your network's default gateway address. However the instruction manual of your router may supply an alternate way to access the router's firmware.
  • Model of the router. This maybe useful later. To find the model, find the label of your router which is located either at the back or the bottom. Default login information may also be there as well.

If you cannot find your router's default login, which can be found on its label or in the instruction manual, Nintendo has Wireless a list of Routers that have their default information, you just need the model of the router.

3. Using the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi Connector
Refer to IGN's Hand's On article, they tell you how to install and use the USB Wi-Fi connector. Otherwise:

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
  • Your connector should come with a CD that contains software, however, read the instructions that comes with the connector first on installation instructions!
  • First install the software, then connect the connector. Windows should have a pop up window on the bottom left notifying a device has been connected. If it says Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, that means Windows successfully recognized it and it will work with some configuring.
  • Installation will fail only if Windows does not recognize the Wi Fi Connector. However, Windows will recognize any USB device that's plugged into it, working or not (I have a PS2 port to USB that doesn't work, but Windows recognizes it). This is assuming of course that the device itself actually works.
  • If installation has failed, uninstall all Nintendo Wi-Fi related software and just plug in the connector. If you are given a hardware installation wizard, select "Yes, for this time only" and then do a manual search. Select the first option and uncheck "look in removable media". However check "Search in this location" and make it the CD drive if possible.

3. Connecting your DS

At Home
The best way for your DS to connect to the internet is if the router is as defaulted as possible. This will allow for everything to configure itself half the time. Access your router's firmware, if you're having trouble, use Nintendo's list of Wi-Fi routers. However you shouldn't really have to change anything unless you really needed to. Also port forwarding does not affect the DS's connectivity, and you should not have to port forward. In the options, you should note the wireless network's SSID (Name) and WEP key if security is enabled. Note: The DS is incompatible with WPA.

Every game capable of internet play will have a setup wizard, usually in the game's main menu. For the fastest way to set up:
  • Select Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Settings
  • Select one of the three boxes named Connection 1, Connection 2, and Connection 3. If you're using the Wi-Fi USB connector, select that and skip the rest of this section.
  • Select "Search for an Access Point"
  • Select the network with the same SSID as the one your network has. If it does not appear, make sure: the router is broadcasting Wi-Fi, that it's broadcasting 802.11b signal (the signal must be included, it does not have to be exclusive), and that your DS is within range (normally 50 feet indoors).
  • When a network is selected, it will display some pertinent information. This is where you enter the WEP key.
  • Press A or tap the screen to test the connection. If successful it will save.

If you're connecting using the USB Conencter.
  • Using the DS game's Wi-Fi wizard, select Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Settings, and then "Nintendo USB WiFi Connector". It will tell you that the DS is asking for permission on the PC to connect.
  • On the PC, double click on the Wi-Fi icon in the bottom right. If it's not visible, and there are arrows pointing to the left, click on that to expand the icons and see if it's there. If it's still not there, take the connector out, and plug it back in, ensuring that it's in and secure.
  • Grant permission on the PC for the DS to connect and the connection should work.

At a hotspot
Remember, Wi-Fi usually isn't free in the sense you can pull up to the parking lot and start using the Wi-Fi, or just go in the shop, sit down, and play. You have to buy something at the commercial establishment if you want to use their Wi-Fi. For hotspots, just use the easy method. If you cannot connect after a few tries, then there's nothing you can really do.

4. Connecting your Wii
Again, it helps if your router is defaulted. Anyway:

If you're connecting using a wireless router.
  • Click on the Wii button in the lower left, then Wii Settings. Next select Internet, the Connection Settings, a connection profile, Wireless Connection, and Search for Access Point.
  • When the Wii is done searching for an access point, it will show a list of results. Choose the name that matches your network's SSID.
  • Save settings and test the connection.
  • If it succeeds, you're good to go, if not try again. If it fails several times, check the router's settings.

If you're using the LAN adapter...
  • Click on the Wii button in the lower left, then Wii Settings. Next select Internet, the Connection Settings, a connection profile, Wired Connection.
  • That's it, there's no need to test a connection

And if you're using the USB Connector
  • Click on the Wii button in the lower left, then Wii Settings. Next select Internet, the Connection Settings, a connection profile, Wireless Connection, and Nntendo Wi-Fi USB connector
  • On the PC, double click on the Wi-Fi icon in the bottom right. If it's not visible, and there are arrows pointing to the left, click on that to expand the icons and see if it's there. If it's still not there, take the connector out, and plug it back in, ensuring that it's in and secure.
  • Grant permission on the PC for the Wii to connect and the connection should work.

5. Troubleshooting your connection

Do NOT just turn your firewall and anti-virus software off!
Using a USB connector
Properly installing the USB connector
1. DO NOT insert the USB connector if you do not have the software/drivers installed! If you insert the USB connector and then install drivers, it may not work as Windows XP's attempt at auto-installing drivers may screw everything up.
2. Step-by-step installations can be found at this link

You're trying to install the USB connector using Windows Vista
1. The latest version of the USB connector drivers supports Vista. You must download them off Nintendo's website as I believe connectors don't come with them.
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqTEFFEB3hA

I need a replacement
1. eBay, Amazon.com, or some other website may carry them.
2. Buy a wireless router. They're relatively cheap these days, and with most people buying laptops instead of full desktops, it might be a good idea to invest in one.
3. My ad-hoc trick doesn't work. I've actually tested it. It tests with zero bars. Although the DS may connect to the internet while testing, which my network didn't have.

The USB connector doesn't work
1. Firewall may be blocking service. Usually when you run the Wi-Fi connection software the first time, a pop-up will ask you to allow the program. Make sure you pay attention to this.
2. Nintendo has listed Zone Alarm to be incompatible with the Wii and DS.
3. http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...neFirewall.jsp has a lot of information regarding software incompatibility and firewall problems.
5. Your ISP may be incompatible or may not work. For a list: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...compatible.jsp

Using a Router
Your wireless router isn't being seen
1. Make sure that your router is broadcasting
2. If your router isn't broadcasting its SSID, then it will not show up.
3. Ensure that your router is broadcasting an 802.11b signal.
4. Your router may not be compatible.

You can connect to the router and the signal is fine, but suddenly drops
1. There might be an IP conflict.
  1. Click on Start and then Run. Type "cmd" and press OK. If you are using Windows Vista, press CRTL+Shift+Enter instead of pressing OK. If you do not have a Run command, go to Start, then All Programs, then Accessories. Click on "Command Prompt".
  2. In Command Prompt, type in "ipconfig/all". This will list a bunch of IP addresses.
  3. Look for an entry called IPv4 Address or IP Address. This should start with 192.168.1.xx
  4. When you connect your DS to the Wi-Fi network, set its IP 10 higher than the very last number in your PC's IP address. For example, if your IP address is 192.168.1.0, set your DS's to 192.168.1.10
  5. Find the Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Primary DNS and Secondary DNS values and input them into your DS. DNS values may not be explicitly listed as Primary and Secondary. In this case, if it ends up being a list, enter the first two values.
  6. Test your connection to see if this worked.
2. There's interference between the router and the unit. Remember, the DS must be within 30 feet of the router, preferably without say a cordless phone or microwave in between.
3. Router may be malfunctioning. Check to make sure that other computers are fine.

There's no access to the internet
1. Make sure the other computers are able to access the internet. If not, turn off (unplug) the modem and then router. Leave them off for 10 seconds. Plug the modem back in and wait for the status light (if there is one) to go green. Then plug the router back in.
2. You may have an incompatible router. http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc...routerInfo.jsp has a list of all compatible routers. If your router is on the list, it should work. If not, it may not work.
3. Settings on the router may prevent connection. MAC filtering or static IP are the most common culprits. You shouldn't have to port forward. Normally routers do not have either setting on. Thus, if it is on and you didn't set them, find out who did.

You have issues with security.
1. Ensure the router is protected under a security type that is compatible.
2. Make sure you know the key. You may think you know it, but you may have written something wrong.
3. If you're typing in the same password as the router generated (make sure you know which one the router is using as well), first open the network (no security), then re-establish security.

How do I change security?
1. If your router is listed at http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc...routerInfo.jsp it has all the login information on how to access your router. This is assuming nobody changed the login information. If someone did, ask them what it is.
2. Go to your Wireless Security settings. This can be in the Wireless settings.
3. Look for a security options section, change this to what you want.

General
On Pokemon Diamond and Pearl's GTS system, connection drops after some time
Because this is a global service, and probably one of major demand, one of two things may happen.
1. Ping time out (DS is taking too long to contact the server)
2. Too many connections

On Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, my friend seems to have trouble connecting
It could be any of the issues above. Also your friend may have pinging issues.

Dig-kun

Hi, please
I´m having trouble on connecting my DS
This is getting me outta my mind
i know that the problem is the router that´s a s**t

Well, I was thinking and I wanted to know what routers work on DS better
And if any works without the Nintendo Wifi USB Connector

Thanks in advance

shadowtomb987

How come Pokemon Pearl or Diamond won't let you start a new game like in the old one?

S.Bustathedog

What's this for? ^
Hi i have tried to install im now following your second steps but in the first part it says that there is a internet sharing error y does it say that?

Pokeman1234

What a mess...
A sharing error basically means that to many other "systems" are linked to that one router. Either that or you don't have access rights for that router (or it is not Wi-Fi compatible). If you have any other problems feel free to PM me.

thomask

Johto Giant
How come Pokemon Pearl or Diamond won't let you start a new game like in the old one?

They do. On the start menu, (with the pokemon logo) press UP+SELECT+B button. It should come up with a delete game option.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
What is error code 299003? I got it with my DSi yesterday. And Nintendo's Customer Service has a strange description for it.(Take a look for yourself) It's working now, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem was?

Last edited:

WishmakerX

Event Master Hunter
Yeah i can't use Mario Kart with my DS. I keep getting the 51300 error, and I know my WIFI works because I use it with Diamond. How do you fix this?

Sapphire Milotic

Hey, how do i find out what my WEP Key is?

Your WEP Key is the code needed to connect to the router you use. It can be found by typing in the url on the bottom of the router, you can always change it, but some are a random bunch of letters and numbers.

SmoG878

i'm not dead...srsly
long time user, not first time complainer. i've had my unfair share of wifi promblems and computer crashes over the years, but i've got yet another promblem with mah wifi connector doohicky. lets just call it a Stnank for now. I've figured out that cuz i've got vista i have to download the vista compatible version off the website, and i was going fine until yesterday when i took out the connector to just make room for a diff usb device (my usb plugs are right next to each other DX ) and the next day (today) i plugged it back in and it stopped working for some whack'd out reason.
I uninstalled it and tried to re-install it through the setup of the vista version. So the first Stnank was me not being connected to the internet. fixed. But then the wifi registration tool didn't come up when i plugged it in. i tried every other possible port and still nothing. when i tried re-installing it, the loading window still worked fine as if the computer knew the connector was still in it, untill it reaches the end and asks for me to plug the wifi connector into the computer. WTF?!?!
help needed unless further elaboration is even possible :p
[edit] i tried plugging it into my sister's laptop and it works there, but in the same port as said before on MY computer, i plug in my school usb and it works...

Last edited:

Red Jr.

Banned
*sigh*

Anyone know when the nintendo wifi usb connector is gonna be re-continued?

I really wanna try out my Diamond team against people around the world.

Zaga

Shiny Hunter!
Thanks for the info cuz im having trouble with my router
Error is Check software booklet instruction..please help with my Prob...

Alex-A-La-Mode

Everytime I insert my WEP Key, and try connecting it ends in connection unscuessful.

Everytime is there, the IP Address and all that, and on my other DS it works perfectly but I'm trying to get it on my second DS. I need to get my Friend Code for Platinum so I can trade over Pokemon, but it's not working. >_<

TheSequelReturns

Faithful Crusader
Ok, I've got a weird problem with Battle Revolution. My Wii connects to the internet. I can use the store and download stuff just fine. When I go to the Wifi Battle section on Battle Revolution, it will connect and let me choose the settings. When it looks for an opponent, it says that there was an error and it boots me back to the main menu. Anyone know what might be wrong with it?

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
The other day, my sister changed the password for my router. I was able to change it on my DS, but my Wii gives me no such option. I called the help line but they gave me a bunch of convoluted things to do that would require me to get on my computer and do it. Only I never had to even *touch* my computer when I set the Wii up for wifi to begin with. Why would it suddenly need it now? Why is there no option to change the password directly? Moreover, was she even telling the truth? She seemed to have no idea what she was talking about (she was REALLY and truly awful at giving help since it took her over fifteen minutes to explain "open the SD card flap and hold down the reset button" when I was trying to find out how to make the new Wiimote work).

RayRay

asillywonderfulman
I want to trade some pokemon from my Diamond game, in the UK, to my friend in America, with Platinum. So we exchange friend codes, and go downstairs in the Pokecentre and then enter the Wifi club. But it doesnt show either of us as being there. We just tried with both our Platinum games, and it works fine! So it's not the codes.

I just asked this in the Questions Thread, and was directed here :/ Diamond/Pearl are definately compatible with Platinum over Nintendo Wifi, yes?

BCVM22

Diamond/Pearl are definately compatible with Platinum over Nintendo Wifi, yes?

A Platinum user attempting to enter a Wi-Fi battle using any Pokémon not found in D/P - that'd be the new formes for Giratina, Shaymin and Rotom - will be refused from doing so. They're compatible in every other way.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
The other day, my sister changed the password for my router. I was able to change it on my DS, but my Wii gives me no such option. I called the help line but they gave me a bunch of convoluted things to do that would require me to get on my computer and do it. Only I never had to even *touch* my computer when I set the Wii up for wifi to begin with. Why would it suddenly need it now? Why is there no option to change the password directly? Moreover, was she even telling the truth? She seemed to have no idea what she was talking about (she was REALLY and truly awful at giving help since it took her over fifteen minutes to explain "open the SD card flap and hold down the reset button" when I was trying to find out how to make the new Wiimote work).

In this case, Hit Wii Options on the main Menu. On Menu 2 (Hit +) There is INTERNET, then hit CONNECTION SETTINGS. Select the Relevant Connection setting. The Hit CHANGE SETTINGS, then the under the ENCODING MENU (Hit + once) Hit WEP. Then hit the input box before inputting the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.