• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ghost Pokemon

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
So, what EXACTLY are ghost pokemon?

Banette is described as a thrown away doll, and gastly is just...gas.

Are they deceased pokemon/people? Or is the 'ghost' type merely a class to describe their incorporeal status like a real ghost?

Taking into account the ghost Marowak from RBY, pokemon can be ghosts, but do you think that when they pass on they can choose to become a ghost type pokemon? Also, the abundance of ghost pokemon appearing near cemetary's seems to suggest that they are pokemon spirits.

What do you guys/girls think?

Glaucous

The Sunken Gladitor
It is a confusing subject. Like you said the RBY Marowak is proof that Pokemon can have ghosts, and also Ghosts can be hatched from eggs so I think it's safe to say they aren't spirits of the departed.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
Well, it is mentioned that Haunter may be from another dimension in Red/Blue:
Because of its ability to slip through block walls, it is said to be from another dimension.

So maybe all ghost Pokemon are?

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
Maybe it's been possessed by something from another dimension? I have no idea.

Del Mundo

Ghost Fan
There's a lot of different ways to think about it. I think that the only actual "ghosts" are pokemon like gastly and duskull, because they're found at places with many pokemon graves.

Gastly are in fact actual ghosts at first, but that silph thing lets you see it as an actual pokemon. So perhaps when pokemon die, they become gastly.... idk

but it's probably just easier to think about it like that they're born gaseous and evil with have spooky abilities. ghost being just a name.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
A lot of times, ghost Pokemon seem more demonic than ghostly. I mean, in the manga, Gastly possesses people.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
I don;t think they are dead pokemon of a different species, they are a species. which is why they breed.

well except shedinja

Professor Poke

They were probably created by Giratina before it got banished to reverse world. Ghost probably just applies to anything that can slip through objects. The reason they hang around graves is to feed on souls.

They're more like japanese demons. While dark types are like western ones. Psychic is the shinto/buddhist priest and fighting is the catholic priest. :p

Missingno.Fan

I don't think that they are spirits of dead Pokemon. I just think that they are similar to ghosts and are classified as such.

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
I think I view Ghost-types as youkai (as Professor Poke said), as that's what they most closely resemble; a set of (usually) quasi-malevolent spirit-based Pokemon that share many other qualities. I see many of 'em as spirits taking on the forms of real-life (in the Pokemon world) phenomena; Gastly/Haunter/Gengar are gas-based spirits, Misdreavus and Mismagius are spirits in the forme of women/witches, Sableye is a spirit in the form of an imp, and so on. Makes sense to me for the most part.

Mewtwo_soul

Servant of Mewtwo #1
I remember one Poke'dex claiming that the deceased turn into Ghastly. Although at the time Ghastly was the only Ghosts (line ) of Pokemon it's possible that they do.

On another note: Marowak passed on after that, therefore maybe it restarted the cycle. (Turning into a Ghastly)

Edit- Now that I think about it, maybe Ghastly represent Purgatory and normal Pokemon represent reincarnation. Never thought of it like that before.

Giratina on the other hand is a different subject all together.

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
I actually meant to mention the egg thing but I totally forget >_>

I think I am leaning towards the ghost=/=real ghosts, but more a sense of 'ghost type' referring to pokemon that share ethereal spirit qualities as real ghosts.

Then again..the silph scope making BOTH the marowak appear AND regular ghost pokemon at the same time is an interesting note.

Maybe, ghost pokemon born from eggs ARE deceased pokemon? Per chance that is how they come into being or are reborn as mentioned above? Also looking into his egg group he is in the indeterminate group which is predominately ghost pokemon alongside other spiritual or 'odd how they are alive' pokemon.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
They were probably created by Giratina before it got banished to reverse world. Ghost probably just applies to anything that can slip through objects. The reason they hang around graves is to feed on souls.

They're more like japanese demons. While dark types are like western ones. Psychic is the shinto/buddhist priest and fighting is the catholic priest. :p

which ones the rabbi?

Mr. E Goods

Gone for good
They are pokemon that you can physically touch, but can go through solid things if they please, which is why they are immune to fighting and Normal attacks. They cannot avoid being attacked by elements though like Fire, electric and water moves etc. that is just my opinion. They function very similar to ghosts so they were given the ghost type.

BuizelPidgeot

I think ghost pokemon are the spirits of pokemon that have not found peace in their life, and when they die they take on the shape of what we know as ghost pokemon. Thats my opinion

Mr. E Goods

Gone for good
I think ghost pokemon are the spirits of pokemon that have not found peace in their life, and when they die they take on the shape of what we know as ghost pokemon. Thats my opinion

If they are spirits then how do they re die/ eat/ breed? It is a valid explanation but makes no sense in the pokemon world XD

minumranger

Tour Guide <3
IMO its just that the Pokemon from the group have Ghost Like abilities, and that's what labeled them as the Ghost Type.

Aesir

Breeder
They're just a species of Pokemon with ghost-like qualities, just like how Water types aren't actually made of water, but just have water qualities

Mewtwo_soul

Servant of Mewtwo #1
Water Pokemon are species of animals that live in the water (Fish/etc.) and they make use of the environment (Water Gun/Hydro Pump/Surf/etc.. That's not exactly the same thing.