• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gigantamax Catch Rate

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I saw someone in another thread say that if you save before starting the battle that you can keep resetting until you catch it.

Save before trying to catch it. Restart if you fail.
I did catch the G-max Butterfree with an ultra ball....have not really started saving before raids though...i probably should LOL
If this works, then it sounds like the gigantamax catching is similar to catching legendaries. The difference being that instead of getting it to a low HP and lobbing dozens of balls at it (and restarting if you run out or it knocks itself out with Struggle), you have to beat it, throw a ball, and then restart if it escapes.

Marzbar

So you’re saying you can save and reset before your OWN Gigantamax raids that appear (either an already active den or when you put a wishing piece into it)? Obviously you can’t do that for joining in other people’s raids.
And what happens when you invite others to your raid and then you quit it because you didn’t catch it?

Anyway, I’ve only managed to join 4 Gigantamax raids, 2 Butterfree, 1 Centiskorch and 1 Drednaw, and all but one Butterfree escaped :(

It could take weeks to be able to catch all the Gigantamax forms, which is stressful because the spawning event ends in a couple of months

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Everything including IVs, nature, ability, gender and shininess, is all set when the Raid spawns. It’ll be the same each time you catch it.

I beg to differ. I was resetting during that Centiskorch one. Through the different attempts, I saw Centiskorch use Fire Lash, Heat Wave, Fire Spin, Lunge, Leech Life, Struggle Bug, Power Whip, Coil, Crunch, and Burn Up.

I didn't check for gender though--I should do that next chance. (I actually found another den for Centiskorch I've been leaving as is for now.)

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
So far I've gotten G-Max Corviknight, Drednaw, Centiskorch, Butterfree, and Sandaconda from raids.

Got a few of Corviknight, Drednaw, and Butterfree. A LOT of Centiskorch. Just one Sandaconda though.

Catch rates are quite abysmal, and frankly, it's irritating.

Also what's more frustrating is when I get a G-Max raid on my feed only for it to have a Link Code. Seriously, those should be private rooms that only your friends can see. Had a G-Max Gengar, Duraludon, Hatterene, and Machamp on my feed with Link Codes.
I hate link codes and private rooms for raids. Ended up being on my own for a Mewtwo raid due to it. Dumb cliques and all that using that baloney. I'd hate for that to happen in G max and Dynamax raids. It would make the rest of the game terrible and no fun.

Taykr26

Does anyone know if the type of ball you use even affects the catch rate for Max Raid Battles in general? I've almost exclusively used pokeballs or premier balls and have one had only 1 fail (it was g-max of course) out of 30+ max raids. It seems to me that there is just a straight catch rate with g-max having a significantly lower rate than regular dynamax raids.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I hate link codes and private rooms for raids. Ended up being on my own for a Mewtwo raid due to it. Dumb cliques and all that using that baloney. I'd hate for that to happen in G max and Dynamax raids. It would make the rest of the game terrible and no fun.
Link Codes are already in Dyna/Gigantamax raids though, which are essentially privates rooms.

They pop up in my feed ALL the time, and it's beyond frustrating because they're usually raids I want to participate in.

I beg to differ. I was resetting during that Centiskorch one. Through the different attempts, I saw Centiskorch use Fire Lash, Heat Wave, Fire Spin, Lunge, Leech Life, Struggle Bug, Power Whip, Coil, Crunch, and Burn Up.

I didn't check for gender though--I should do that next chance. (I actually found another den for Centiskorch I've been leaving as is for now.)
The moves they use aren't the moves they'll have after you catch them. Can absolutely confirm this.

Had a Centiskorch use Max Overgrowth + Lightning and after catching only had Fire moves, a Bug move, and a Normal move.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Link Codes are already in Dyna/Gigantamax raids though, which are essentially privates rooms.

They pop up in my feed ALL the time, and it's beyond frustrating because they're usually raids I want to participate in.
Thanks for the heads up about that.

Agreed. They just had to ruin raid battling. Private raids are rather selfish (not all, just the ones run by jerks and cliques).

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Thanks for the heads up about that.

Agreed. They just had to ruin raid battling. Private raids are rather selfish (not all, just the ones run by jerks and cliques).
My main issue is that Link Code rooms pop up for everyone. It's pretty deflating to see a Raid you want to do on your feed and then see it has a lock on it.

They should've just done away with Link Codes and had private/open rooms for trading/battles/raids that would only appear for your friends. As I'm sure that people only put Link Codes up so their friends can join guaranteed.

Which is the only time I ever do Link Codes, when me and 3 of my other friends want to do a raid together. Otherwise I leave it open for anyone to join.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
My main issue is that Link Code rooms pop up for everyone. It's pretty deflating to see a Raid you want to do on your feed and then see it has a lock on it.

They should've just done away with Link Codes and had private/open rooms for trading/battles/raids that would only appear for your friends. As I'm sure that people only put Link Codes up so their friends can join guaranteed.

Which is the only time I ever do Link Codes, when me and 3 of my other friends want to do a raid together. Otherwise I leave it open for anyone to join.
Good point. Go has a similar issue and it is frustrating. Pretty much stopped trying 4 and 5 star raids due to that and people not showing up.

I hate link codes for trading. They need to do away with them.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Good point. Go has a similar issue and it is frustrating. Pretty much stopped trying 4 and 5 star raids due to that and people not showing up.

I hate link codes for trading. They need to do away with them.
Agreed.

IMO they really need to do patches for the game that fixes these issues rather than waiting for the next games.

It won't happen, but a man can hope I guess.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Agreed.

IMO they really need to do patches for the game that fixes these issues rather than waiting for the next games.

It won't happen, but a man can hope I guess.
Definitely.

Agreed. Better to do that than to have on going issues.

Yep. Wonder who was the bright person who decided to bring one of the worst parts of Go into Lets Go and Sword and Shield?

Marzbar

I think people putting link codes on their Gigantamax raids is just rude! I really want to participate in some :(

Having said that, we should totally band together and do our own link codes :p

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
I'll admit I'm guilty of the Link Code thing myself, but tbh, with how sparse it is that people join my raids that I've hosted as is (Which is the majority of the time, I've solo'd 4-starred raids more than I should tbh), the only times I have gotten people joining are friends I know that are online and will not hesitate to take down a giant with me. I've had more luck getting friends than randos in raids, unless it's Gigantamax IG but my luck hasn't been great at getting those (A 5 star Galarian Rapidash is hogging the Den Giga Alcremie's meant to be in that I'm farming for atm. Even then nobody wants to help. x.x).
Otherwise I'm getting nobody and stuck working with NPCs which suck.

It's kinda a last-resort for me at this point I'm in at the game. I don't do it to be rude in the slightest x.x, I do it because at least I can count on those people to actually fricking show up since they're always online in the game. Randos never do for me it seems. (In fact I've been seeing people having issues getting public raids' slots actually filled up as of late so it's not just a problem for myself) And as for link trades, I've had a few mismatches with them but it's as easy as canceling and trying again.
I do wish the Link Code raids didn't show up publically though, I had expected those to be more private so-to-speak. Though I've had less luck getting into very recent public raids because the option is never there so I kinda don't see a difference when the game can't decide on what it's supposed to be doing with Y-Comm anyways.

Last edited:

Eldegoss

Pollinate me.
We have a Discord (linked in my sig) of about 40 people so far who organize raids between each other. It has made raiding so much better being able to do it with other Serebii members who are willing to share their rare spawns!

(Also no more crap AI lmao)

Inoshi

Pokemon Lover
So far I've seen one giga Butterfree (which I caught), two giga drednaw (one escaped and catched the second), three giga sandaconda (all of them have escaped :'( and that's it. Haven't been lucky enough to see anything else yet.

EDIT: I know this isn't related but... Is it possible to get any more johto balls later on aside from that single one given at the gyms by the pokeball guy?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
@Inoshi No, you can only get one of each of the Apricorn Balls. If you don't want to use them up on Gigantamax Pokémon that have a strong chance of escaping, your best bet are stuff like Dusk Balls, Repeat Balls, and such.

From what I can gather, the odds are also decreased if the Pokémon you're trying to catch is a higher level than yours. The bigger the difference in level, the lower the odds. 5-star Gigantamax raids have the Pokémon at Level 70.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
@Inoshi No, you can only get one of each of the Apricorn Balls. If you don't want to use them up on Gigantamax Pokémon that have a strong chance of escaping, your best bet are stuff like Dusk Balls, Repeat Balls, and such.

From what I can gather, the odds are also decreased if the Pokémon you're trying to catch is a higher level than yours. The bigger the difference in level, the lower the odds. 5-star Gigantamax raids have the Pokémon at Level 70.
Oh, so that's why I can never beat them with my team of Level 50s and a group of CPUs.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Also what's more frustrating is when I get a G-Max raid on my feed only for it to have a Link Code. Seriously, those should be private rooms that only your friends can see. Had a G-Max Gengar, Duraludon, Hatterene, and Machamp on my feed with Link Codes.

****ing this.

Private rooms are the only surefire way to get a lobby filled, and people generally do it with friends. If it's a not a public lobby, I don't want to see it. Not that difficult Gamefreak.

Last edited:
Oh, so that's why I can never beat them with my team of Level 50s and a group of CPUs.
The CPUs are also morons. Love seeing a Wishiwashi die to one Max Overgrowth from a Tsareena only to die again 2 turns later. You're playing with a downed man if you try to do any 4 or 5 star raids with less than 3 people, especially Gigantamax raids.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The CPUs are also morons. Love seeing a Wishiwashi die to one Max Overgrowth from a Tsareena only to die again 2 turns later. You're playing with a downed man if you try to do any 4 or 5 star raids with less than 3 people, especially Gigantamax raids.
Well, they were helpful early game when I had a low level team, and I do like the Salazzle, Heatmor, Torkoal group since they know what they're doing.