• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gimmick Pokemon

Sircharles

Marijuantsome?
What do you consider a gimmick Pokemon? Certain ablilities, moves, appearance. I think that the biggest gimmick Pokemon is Salamence. It's ability is intimidate, it learns scary face, and it's a dragon. It doesn't get anymore gimmicky(word?) than that.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Infernape, I think. Just another Fire/Fighting Pokemon and people who play competitively get a hard on when they hear about that said Pokemon.

Zibdas

not bad
Probopass. It was never meant to exist. It shouldn't be there. It knows that. Look at its eyes. Uncertain. Knowing some user with a name rhyming whit Shmibdas would pray upon it's flesh, constantly berating it in favour of its relative.

No. 1 Machop Fan

Everyone's idea of a "gimmick" Pokemon is different. I see gimmick Pokemon as unique Pokemon like Shedinja or Wobbuffet. And they're Pokemon I love because they're different!

Sircharles

Marijuantsome?
You have a point there mr.machop. Zoroark has illusion. Backing up the fact that it is a gimmick Pokemon.

XXD17

Draco rex
Chatot with chatter, zoroark with illusion, stunfisk with its unique typing yet trollish stats, wobbuffet with only retaliation moves, unown with only hidden power, musharna seemed to have been made solely for dream smoke, shedinja with wonder guard, and delibird with only present in its self-learn attack list...

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
^Dang, he stole mine...

SLAKING. The only thing it's good for is Choice Banding, and that's how I define a gimmick Pokemon, only good in a very specific way.

No. 1 Machop Fan

Going by my definition, there's also Mew with its ability to learn all moves, Arceus with its ability Multitype, Deoxys with its multiple forms and the unique means to switch between them, and Castform with its weather-based ability and moves.

No. 1 Machop Fan

Let us not forget ditto with it's dw ability!!

YES! SO fun to troll with!

Ditto in itself is a gimmick anyway because all it can do is transform.

XXD17

Draco rex
True, if we brought forms into the equation.
Also explain how basculine is a gimmick poke.

basculin just seemed like a random pokemon thrown in out of nowhere just for spot-filling purposes with its only niche as being able to use the most powerful unboosted aqua jet in the game with adaptability...pokes like qwilfish, dunsparce, and far-fetch'd are comparable to his position only they don't really have a special niche (except the occasional para-flinch dunsparce of course)

Moneyy

INACTIVE
My definition of gimmick Pokemon are Pokemon that people don't usually use or strange moves or abilities on Pokemon. For example, Zoroark's illusion is gimmicky, and Pokemon like Dunsparce are gimmicky. Also a special Salamence or a physical Hydreigon.

Wyvern777

not that gimmicky pokemon are a bad thing but I'd say they include Ditto, Shedinja and baby Pokemon

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
Plusle & Minun
They were introduced to showcase double battles in gen III, after all.

Dattebayo

Banned
Sawsbuck
Zoroark
Ditto
Delibird
Unown
Deoxys
Giratina Origin Forme
Darkrai
Skymin
Arceus