• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gimp FAQ

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11515

I did not write this. This used to be here. If you find any errors in the links, or whatnot, PM me.

This is a FAQ about GIMP, a popular imaging program that rivals Photoshop and the like. Post your questions about GIMP and they will be answered by me or another member. Read the below questions BEFORE asking one!

Huge GIMP resource pack, includes tutorials, brushes, etc. (and it's not done yet so check for upd ates to it) (http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/gimp/The_GIMP_Resources_and_Tutorials.htm)

1. Q: What is GIMP?

A: A complex imaging program.

2. Q: Where do I get it?

A: At their website, www.gimp.org on the left side select the OS you use and follow the instructions given.

3. Q: How much does this thing cost?

A: It's free. No dumb registration crap eaither.

4. Q: I can't open the file! What is wrong?!

A: You need a program that extracts data fr om .zip and .rar files, I reccommend WinRAR, just Google it.

5. Q: How do I put in scripts/brushes/other plug-ins I got?

A: File > Preferences > Folders > Select folders with files here. Then restart GIMP.

6. Q: Where can I obtain brushes for GIMP?

A: A good choice is www.deviantart.com

7. Q: Can Photoshop brushes work with GIMP?

A: No, you have to convert them or find someone else to.

8. Q: This program is confusing! Where can I find some good tutorials?!

A: Good choices are www.deviantart.com and http://www.gimptalk.com/ (or you can view my tiny little tut...) (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38682988/)

9. Q: How do you make animations with GIMP?

A: It's kind of difficult, but downloading the GAP animation package makes it alot easier (well it does for me) and adds some cool Animation effects you can do.

10. Q: What does the file format XCF do?

A: It preserves the individual layers of the file so you do not have to compress them.

11. Q: Why does the program take so long to load?

A: I dunno, maybe because it's loading a bunch of stuff?

12. Q: Are there any other versions of GIMP besides this one?

A: Well there is GIMPShop, which is made to mimic the look of Photoshop. It would be a good choice if you already have Photoshop and want to give GIMP a try.

13. Q: Can this program do White-be-gones?

A: Yes it can. Even for animations. But some file formats (like BMP, which isn't liked here anyways) do not support it.

14. Q: What are layers?

A: Basically one image in a pile of images, when you make a file the default is one. You can try merging layers and experiment with the filters to see what you come out with. For animations, 1 layer counts as 1 frame.

15. Q: Can you label some really basic things?

A: Sure, why not? (http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6812/untitledkn9.png)[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 11515

Noted.
If anything needs to be updated, contact me.

Last edited by a moderator:

emerald18

kamikorosu
Yeah I have a question, rather important to me

Before I updated my computer, pasted images with transparent backgrounds stayed transparent, now they're black(And under that is white). Where do I set it like before?

kiogrey

RS REMAKES
This is GIMP related, but its a downloading problem.
I have downloaded GIMP twice before; no problems anywhere. But I got a new computer and tried downloading GIMP, but the problem is that Internet Explorer keeps putting up that "problem occured" message and "needs to be closed" everytime I go to the downloading website SourceForge.
The other two instances downloading GIMP was on Internet Explorer 7 and Google Chrome, but this one is on Internet Explorer 6. I highly doubt that this is the problem, but I felt like noting that out.

I would like this problem fixed as soon as possible, please :)

Problem fixed. I just changed my browser into Internet Explorer 8 :p

Last edited:

Misdreavus

used Perish Song!
I just downloaded GIMPshop, and it doesn't seem to be working. I tried to drag an image into the GIMPshop window to edit it, and instead, my mouse just showed the "no" symbol. The only thing under the "File" menu is "Exit." What's the deal?

Bambii

wait, with gimp you can erase the end and replace it with .jpg and it'll save it as a regular photo instead of making you pull it up with gimp.

ShinySandshrew

†God Follower†

I would like to point out that this is no longer true. You can use Photoshop brushes in GIMP v. 2.4 or higher. Just make sure they have a .ABR file extension.

I have a problem with my Animating.

After I add about five layers, the next layer I add becomes inversely coloured. This then continues throughout the rest of the Animation and makes the Animation look rubbish and the sprites lose their quality.

What I'm doing is I already have the images transparentised and saved on my computer so I'm just clicking "Add as new Layer" and clicking on the next image.
I'm making sure that I click off the image each time, as was suggested in the Animation Tutorial in the Fan Sprites section. I've tried it with this and without this, and it's the same thing.

This is an example of what i mean:
iaza18507297498600.gif

See? The last egg sprite starts to pattern. The colours go weird and they continue throughout the Animation as that weird colour.

Could someone help me with this?

I have a problem with my Animating.

After I add about five layers, the next layer I add becomes inversely coloured. This then continues throughout the rest of the Animation and makes the Animation look rubbish and the sprites lose their quality.

What I'm doing is I already have the images transparentised and saved on my computer so I'm just clicking "Add as new Layer" and clicking on the next image.
I'm making sure that I click off the image each time, as was suggested in the Animation Tutorial in the Fan Sprites section. I've tried it with this and without this, and it's the same thing.

This is an example of what i mean:
iaza18507297498600.gif

See? The last egg sprite starts to pattern. The colours go weird and they continue throughout the Animation as that weird colour.

Could someone help me with this?

i think it has something to do with the transparency. try removing it and see what happens.

EDIT:
I've seen this before. It has something to do with blurring/glow effects. Does you image have this?

Mantine Blast

Passive Battler
Image Resizing in Photobucket

I uploaded a userbar from my computer (made in GIMP) to photobucket. From there, I pasted it into my signature. Oddly, there was a HUGE black space above and below the userbar. Is there any way that I can prevent this from happening?

Flame Mistress

Um, you know that Layers Toolbar thing on the right side of your screen? The one that lets you do stuff with layers quicker? How do I open it?

ShinySandshrew

†God Follower†
Um, you know that Layers Toolbar thing on the right side of your screen? The one that lets you do stuff with layers quicker? How do I open it?

At the top of the main window, there should be a toolbar that has such things as "File", "Edit", "Image." From this toolbar, select the heading labelled "Windows." From the drop-down menu that appears, you should see an option labelled "Layers, Paths, Undo, Channels, -Brushes, Gradients, Paths." Click that and the you should see the desired toolbar appear.

Novan_Hero

omnomnomnom

Just posting that from GIMP 2.6 and above you can use Photoshop brushes (iirc if it's 2.6, otherwise 2.7)

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
my mom downloaded gimp for my sis on our cpu. it crashed it. what did she do? she thinks she downloaded the windows '97 when she had windows xp. is that what she did?